“Beautiful but tough.”

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Beautiful but tough.”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

While visiting Colorado last year I decided to visit Hanging Lake.

I am from the UK, I normally operate at sea level. The Hanging Lake trail STARTS at 6000ft and rises sharply over 1.2miles up to over 7000ft. It is also very rocky. So while it is short it is quite challenging for those of us who are not seasoned hikers, and as it was a very high altitude for me it was especially challenging! I had to stop and sit down around every ten minutes to catch my breath, while hoards of people of all ages marched past.

As others have said, it is very busy. I was quite lucky and managed to get parked quite quickly as I spotted someone else leaving but the car park was otherwise completely full.

Hanging Lake itself is rather smaller than I had been expecting, but it is very pretty.

A little further up is Spouting Rock, another bigger waterfall that you can walk behind.

The walk back down was much less strenuous and I was able to enjoy the stunning views of Glenwood Canyon.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area, but don't underestimate the hike to get there, sturdy footwear is a must and bring plenty of water!

Visited September 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
USA
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“A must do”
Reviewed 17 August 2012

This is a diffcult hike, do not be fooled by the 1.2 mile length. You gain over 1000 feet in that 1.2 miles, it is not an easy hike. If you are overweight, have health issues or any concerns - proceed with caution. I saw many folks sitting, people with infants (we are talking 6 months or less) in their arms. These people are NUTS! It is a rocky climb with loose rocks, hiking boots are really needed, along with a hiking pole or hiking stick. Please be careful and aware of your surroundings if you take this hike. We went mid week so it was not overly crowded. We are failry fit, hike all the time, but we also respect the force of nature.

Do the hike, but be careful - it is worth the time and diffculty of getting up.

One last word of advice - stay out of the water, we saw people getting in the water, you will destroy this eco-system if to many people continue to do this - let your kids take their kids to this wonderful spot. The lake is lined with Travertine and the PH in Human skin damages the travertine - at some point if to many people ignore the pleadings to stay out - it will no longer exist!

1 Thank Sierra T
denver
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great trail, tougher than I expected”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

The trail is a more challenging hike than I expected. I expected more of a walk, and it is more of a hike. You are starting at the bottom of Glenwood Canyon and have to hike almost to the top of it. It is definitely worth it and well maintained.

Fort Collins, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed 8 August 2012

We enjoyed the hike. It was not strenuous at all. It took us about an hour to reach the lake. The views were terrific.

1 Thank Kevin D
New Jersy
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great trail but difficult”
Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

This is a great trail ending in a climatic way with a beautiful lake and waterfall. This is also a difficult trail so be prepared. No flip flops, no babies, plenty of water and great attitude a must. From the beginning climb up many rocks this trail never slows down except when passing over the 7 bridges that seem to be equally distant from each other. There are many areas to rest and plenty of shade. We climbed this trail on a Saturday in August which was very crowded. Again, this is rated difficult but very rewarding and absolutely breathtaking at the end. Also, take the side trail from the lake to the waterfall that flows right out of a hole in the rock. This is a very short climb from the lake.