“Tough but worth it”
Review of Hanging Lake Trail

Hanging Lake Trail
Reviewed 29 March 2014

When I saw the sign warning about the trail, I didn't concern myself. Even when the trail became a little icy, I wasn't concerned. Being early spring, the trail was iced over for about 3/4 of the mile, but those coming back down assured us all we could make it. I fell a few times, once on the way up and once on the way down. Would love to come back and hike and see the lake minus the ice, but still glad I made the trek to the top.

1  Thank Marlayna67

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We took this trail today, which is approx 1 1/4 mi. Lots of ice still on mountain which makes for a tough climb up and even scarier climb down. Come prepared if visiting in early spring. We will visit again in the summer as we LOVED the view and the lake! BEAUTIFUL!

1  Thank amera456
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

It was definitely a workout going up the mountain. My friend and I went at a perfect time. It was around 1030am. We would have gotten there early, but got a bit turned around. Initially the trail opens up on a dirt path, but about half way up (thank goodness for little mile markers) there was a lot of snow and ice. We climbed up very slow and even slipped a few times, but laughed the whole way up. It was worth it at the top. It took us almost an hour and 15 minutes. Even with a few water breaks and stops to take pictures. Don't forget to check out the little waterfall above and behind the "main" attraction. I would do this again in a heartbeat, but I'd wait til the end of April or even sometime in May. Oh! And one more thing, you may be cool at the bottom, but as you start moving you may not need as many layers.

2  Thank Janel H
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This was a great stop. The climb was rocky but beautiful. Good shoes will help a lot. We went early in the morning so we had the trail going up mostly to ourselves but by the time we were ready to descend the trail was getting quite a bit of traffic. We stopped here not knowing what to expect but were absolutely blown away by the breath-taking sight at the top. What an unexpected gift!

1  Thank Colette S
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This is one of my all time favorite scenic spots in Colorado. We make a point to go every year. The hike is beautiful. Though the hike is challenging in places, it is appropriate for all ages. The view at the top is breathtaking. I wish you could access the parking lot from both directions on I-70. The trail gets packed during the summer, especially on weekends. If you want a more enjoyable experience, early morning is the best time to go, before the trail is overly crowded.