“Excellent opportunity for a real Polish meal”
Review of Polanka - CLOSED

Polanka
Price range: US$3 - US$14
Cuisines: Polish
Description: We serve the best homemade polish cuisine this side of Chicago. All food is made to order, served hot, and made by our own polish cooks. Parking is available both in the front of the resturaunt and behind. Seating is limited but takeout is also available for people on the go.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I had seen the sign in the window and researched it on TA so decided to turn around and give it a try. Very glad I did. The restaurant was staffed by a Polish family - seemed to be Grandma, Mom, and a 11 yr. old daughter who was learning how to cook. It was fun to hear them chatter away in Polish while working together. I got the combo plate and everything was so good, my first time eating authentic Polish food. It had pierogies - so good that the first bite was addictive - and wonderful sauerkraut, sausage, and a cabbage roll. I was so stuffed that it was almost painful but I couldn't stop eating because it was that good. What was also painful was the lack of customers - hope it does enough business to stay open because I want to be able to come back next trip to Glenwood.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

The owner really know how to cook. She was the only person in the back of the house, and managed to wait on customers, while taking payments and grating potato and carrots for her pierogies. A large bowl of chicken soup had a clear broth, but plently of chicken flavor, and huge chunks of white meat, plentiful noodles, and bits of carrot. My wife and I shared the soup and a sampler platter, with pirogies, pieces of sausage, sauerkraut. The food was authentic, fresh, and well prepared.
The restaurant is short on atmosphere, as it seems all furnishings were bought second hand, or were there in place from a former eatery. Don't let the lack of decor fool you!
If you are in the mood for excellent comfort food- don't miss this place.

1  Thank flymanpmd
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Excellent Polish food at great prices. My husband and I were amazed at how the owner seemed to run the entire establishment single-handedly: taking orders, cooking them from scratch (literally, I heard her shredding the potatoes shortly after I ordered potato pancakes), bussing tables, cleaning dishes, handling payment, answering the phones, etc, and still she made time to converse pleasantly with clients. How does she do it? This place is a must! :D

1  Thank ChadNBeth
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Surprised by the reviews here. A friend took me out to lunch here and I felt terrible all afternoon. Must admit that my tastes run toward fresh veggies, local meats, and little oil so Polanka was coming from the opposite place. YMMV

3  Thank soprisorbust
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Always fresh, true Polish food and priced accordingly. Love to grab it to go for a family meal at home.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member