“Excellent location, clean, family run and friendly!”
Review of Starlight Lodge

Starlight Lodge
Ranked #22 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I've read the reviews, and need to review. We have stayed at The Starlight Lodge for 15 years, several times a year. The location is perfect, the prices are more than fair, and if you want to stay in a chain hotel then you should. Andrew, Mary and Theresa are willing to do anything to make your stay pleasant. Are the rooms older? Yes....Are they clean? YES...if you want a sterile cold environment, then pay double and stay at a chain hotel. We stay in the same room, several times a year and won't stay anywhere else. The suites have two separate rooms with a shared bathroom, includes a microwave and fridge. Perfect for our family of four who needs a little extra space for the growing boys. Give the Starlight a chance, we did (15 years ago)...and feel like family while we're there! Easy walk to great restaurants and the pool!

Room Tip: If you need a little more space, consider paying a little more for a room in the new section. Well...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank iGo2013

Reviewed 28 August 2013

I have to rate this place poorly because I just really didn't enjoy my stay, but I'll let you be the judge of whether it will work for you. Here are my "The Good" and "The Bad" lists:

"The Good"
1. The location is awesome, within walking distance of the hot springs pool and food.
2. It's close to the highway and easy to find.
3. The bathroom was clean, the water pressure was good, and there was plenty of hot water.
4. No bedbugs.
5. Ample parking in the lot right in front of your door.
6. I slept well - the bed and pillows weren't too lumpy or anything.
7. The bed sheets and towels were clean.
8. Small bars of soap were provided.

"The Bad"
1. The woman who checked us in was very surly (and wore a see-through shirt...)
2. The ice machine was broken while we were there, and the tap water didn't really get cold.
3. We paid $90 for one night - not exactly a cheap place.
4. The room had dirty carpet.
5. The room was decorated with a giant wall decal of fall aspens in Colorado, but it was very old and peeling off. On top of it, someone splashed what looked like soda all over the wall, and it wasn't cleaned up. Ewww.
6. The comforter and towels were very old, and the comforter wasn't particularly clean.
7. The bed was also old and kind of saggy (but not too terrible - see above).
8. There was no shampoo/conditioner/lotion provided.
9. The room smelled faintly like smoke, even though it was listed as non-smoking.
10. An ashtray and matches were provided in the room, even though hit was listed as non-smoking.
11. It was easy to hear anyone loud outside (though this didn't bother us).

It's possible that we did not have a renovated room, but overall, I just didn't enjoy my stay. I won't be returning...

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kingshimmers
Reviewed 23 August 2013

This place has both good and bad issues. The good was the price and walking distance to Glenwood Hot Springs and the Colorado Hotel. The bad are very close to road noise, my room had something directly outside coming on and off every 15 seconds. I would keep looking next time. The owners were nice enough, but some things need attention.

Room Tip: You can't get far enough away from the traffic noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WILLIAM M
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed here for one night recently because it was crazy busy in town and the first 3 hotels we stopped at were full. We should have kept looking. There was no air conditioning and the sheets looked dirty and my daughter found a bug when we turned down the bed. At $99/night I would not call this inexpensive for what you got which was a dirty old hot room.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank VWVantraveler
Reviewed 2 July 2013

I really enjoyed the staff. They were very friendly.

My room was a few rooms away from the busy street, and I could hear cars passing. I could also hear other guests outside and in their rooms more than I could at other hotels.

I got a good sleep, however.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ufcarazy
Reviewed 11 February 2013

I stayed here 2 nights and got no sleep. rooms are close to road and loud trucks pass by room all night long and heaters are old and noisy. rooms small dirty old outdated. a Miserable lodging experience in a beautiful town. cheap prices for terrible loud noisy dirty old rooms

Room Tip: Do not stay in tiny old rooms out near road are super noisy too small old and dirty
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Charles H
Reviewed 27 July 2012

For my wife, 2 daughters under 2 years old, and I, it was our first trip to Glenwood Springs for pleasure.

Searching through the various hotel options, the Starlight Lodge caught my eye for location [it's within easy walking distance of what's perhaps the town's main attraction, the hot springs pool] and for price [it was at least $50 less than the next comparable room I could find].

The pictures on their website looked great- clean, bright, vaulted ceilings [we were getting a room with a separate bedroom for the girls]- but when we arrived we found something quite different. Before going on, I want to say the desk clerk was super friendly, helpful, and pleasant. The room, though, not so much...

It turned out that the pictures from the website were from the room above us. On the ground floor the ceilings were low, the carpet, fixtures, and beds ancient [and I do mean OLD], and the feel was a little basement-like.

If it were for these things only it wouldn't have been a problem, really- the room was cheap [we know there're trade-offs with lower-cost places] and we're not snobby- but there were other troubles...

The walls were scuffed and stained, the floor in the bathroom torn, the carpets worn and not especially clean, and overall the room was not particularly clean. Especially with babies in tow- and even without- one wants a clean room.

A previous occupant's shaving stubble graced the sink, there were hairs in the tub- and the tub itself had built up dirt which made it clear it wasn't one lazy or harried cleaning which just didn't go well- it was a regular thing. The shower curtain also had several grime and mold spots. The alarm clock was, for lack of a better description, grubby and grimy, and there was a faint mold smell througout the rooms [especially strong in the bathroom]. The window in the girls' room had a broken lock and, if not for my jerking/pushing on it from outside [took a good 5-10 min to work on and figure out] it would've allowed anyone to come in. The bathroom window didn't lock, either, and it featured sheer, see-through curtains [not a problem in the daytime, but at night, when lit from within...].

Some other little things that bothered me included the fact there was no peephole in the door, it was a non-smoking room [I didn't smell any cigarette, to their credit] but each room was supplied with its own ashtray and matches, the shower handle was really weird and hard to operate, the bathroom was TINY [seriously, probably 30 square feet or so], there was a cobbled-together hatch/cover on the coat closet's floor which led to a creepy crawlspace under the room [my problem with this was the uneven, non-sealed or locked cover, not the existence of the crawlspace itself], and it was supposed to be a 3-queen-size bed room, but it actually had only 2 queens and a full [turned out not be a problem for us, as we all ended up sleeping in the same room, but still...]. Finally, some of the doors operated very noisily [which was a problem with sleeping infants and toddlers].

When we go on vacation, we'd like to stay in a room at least as nice as our home [it's not a mansion and, with 2 babies, not always all that clean], or maybe nicer. This room was far worse than our home. It was kinda stressful to stay there, honestly, and we won't be back.

I think some of their other rooms [like the ones pictured on their site] might be better, and, again, the clerk rocked it. Our room, though, was not good. We'll be paying the extra $50 or $100- heck, whatever it takes- to not be in the room I'm reviewing the next time we visit Glenwood Springs and, unfortunately, cannot recommend the Starlight Lodge based on our experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family