“Should be on Chef Ramsay's Kitchen Disasters”
Review of Barons

Barons
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This is in the Hotel Colorado. Great food and service and lovely ambiance.
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Service non-existant, took nearly 1 1/2 hours to be served, Fish we ordered was served nearly raw. Wait staff doesn't know how to do their job. Experience was the worst I've ever had.

1  Thank RetiredBear

Reviewed 2 January 2014

TERRIBLE. This is supposed to be a high end restaurant in a high end hotel. We made reservations 4 weeks in advance, and they lost them. When we did get seating it took an hour and 20 minutes to be served. The children (certainly could not call them adults) that served our food were completely untrained. Served meals to wrong people, Served dishes across diners rather than walking around. The fish I ordered was seared on the outside and raw in the middle. I asked them to take it back to make it right, they re-served the same fish STILL raw in the middle after having it in the kitchen for 20 more minutes. By the time they brought it back the rest of my dinner companions had finished their dinners. Apparently most of their food is frozen rather than fresh. Our friends dinners were served cold and/or not cooked as ordered. Only my wife's dinner was acceptable.

NO apology's at all, Wait staff just dropped the dishes and literally trotted off. the bill was literally thrown onto the table. There were NO managers in the Restaurant. We went back the next day and were given a bunch of lame excuses, again NO apology. It'll be a cold day in hell before I go back to Baron's.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We made reservations for Christmas dinner at Barons in the Hotel Colorado. We arrived a little early for our reservations and were promptly seated. The dining room is lovely as is the whole Hotel. Like other reviews, the service was slow - but everyone was very friendly so that wasn't really a problem. I even thought that the prices were very reasonable for Christmas dinner at a nice hotel.
What we found baffling was that all the food, except my son's chicken fingers, were cool to cold. We are not food connoisseurs - but we did not find the steak or the trout to be very good - and my husband's steak & potatoes were so cold he didn't even eat it. I can't imagine what is going on in the kitchen - but it's too bad because it could be such a nice place.
I recommenced having a drink and an appetizer instead of trying for a meal.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We waited over twenty minutes after being seated before anyone came to take our order.
There were only a few other guests so not at all busy. The waitress told us the food would take a long time as they only had one cook. We decided to leave without ordering and I believe we had a lucky escape. We ended up eating at Juicy Lucy across the river where we had an excellent meal .

Reviewed 16 December 2013

I was skeptical after deciding to have a quick breakfast here before making my spa appointment, but it turned out to be delicious. I have a hard time paying hotel prices for food, but it was the best we could do since we were pressed for time. We both ordered the Salmon bagel. It was $11, which really made me grumpy. I was pleasantly surprised when I was given a very generously sized poppy seed bagel, dill flavored crean cheese, fresh diced onions and tomatos, capers and a very large portion of smoked salmon. If you like strong coffee, this is t he place for you. I'm a mild coffee drinker, so I wasnt thrilled with it, which is a personal preference and does not reflect on the restaurant at all.

Cut to later in the evening...my hisband and I stopped into the adjacent bar for a cocktail. There was a large group of folks who decided to have their xmas gathering there instead of messing up one of their homes. Also, the regular bartender was missing due to a family emergency. The restauarant/bar did the best they could to fill in, but it was chaos. Apparantly there had been a flood in the bar recently and they had just re-opened. There must have been a breakdown in communication after the opening, because they ran out of all their beer on tap, and were down to bottles. The one poor girl who was functioning as their main bartender (Angie) was being run ragged. The bar/food manager was seen standing around, chatting patrons up on more than one occasion and not helping out at all. He needed to be up there running the bar with her and had all the other gals (waitresses and bus staff) running drinks, bussing tables, cleaning glassware, etc). They ran out of glassware more than once and again, the bar manager was seen leaning against the bar, chatting away, with his elbow no more than 2 inches away from trays of dirty glasses. Someone clearly did not want to get his hands dirty. Short staffing happens all the time in the service industry, but a good manager always has a plan B. No plans were being executed as far as anyone could see.

The next night the bar was much slower, so we stopped in for cocktails after dinner. The same bartended was there and still seemed to be having a rough time since no one was helping her (bar manager??!!), but the beers on tap were back in business, and every surface in the place wasnt covered by dirty glassware. The bar manager at one point did come behind the bar and served a visibly intoxicated man who should have been cut off. He was being loud, cursing, and verbally abusing the bar staff. He asked for a double of something, and instead of being refused service, was told that he could only be served "a single". Really? He got his single and left shortly after for a bar downtown. It got rid of him in the end, but at what cost? Bad bad bar manager.