“You can do better than the Clarion”
Review of Glenwood Suites

Glenwood Suites
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed 24 July 2008

In a nutshell...Service is almost non existant

Moldy fruit in the breakfast area (which was mostly grapefruit). They only bring out bananas if you ask. Dirty floor.

I saw apples in the area beyond the public's access and asked the front desk when we'd get better fruit and the attendant said "the order just came in". The next morning, the breakfast room lady said there is no "order" and there were never any apples and the healthy dept. won't let them serve apples. Gee, I guess I was hallucinating when I looked right at them...

The rest of the breakfast available is just ok.

Front desk is mostly not around. They don't have any thing they can recommend about restaurants in the area or bike trails.

The air conditioner rattled all night.

The location is not within walking distance of the hot springs or any restaurant other than DQ.

No one will mention that Clarion guests have access to the Quality Inn pool across the street.

Requesting a room away from the freeway must be made in person and its first come first serve.

The train is right across the street and they do run around 2 am.

There are much better deals in Glenwood Springs but its too late for me!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank interiordesigner
There are newer reviews for Glenwood Suites

Reviewed 11 July 2008

We went to this hotel over 4th of July weekend and had a great time. The staff and the front desk were friendly and accommodating.
We stayed in the Double King Suite. My husband and I had the larger room which we shared with the babies, and Grandma took the other room- we could not hear her snoring, a major plus and always a problem when we have traveled with her.
There were 3 flat screen TVs, the beds were soft, and the rooms very clean. The kitchenette was beautiful with granite counter tops, and adequately stocked. I was able to make lunches and two dinners there with ease as long as I was the only one cooking.
The breakfasts in the cafe were excellent for a continental and included the best waffles I've ever had at a hotel. Also included were eggs and sausage and the other usual fair.
The only down side is that there isn't a pool at this hotel, but there is a shared pool 50 yards away at the Quality in across the street-it is very small. If rafting interest you, there is a $5 coupon waiting at the front desk for the outfit kitty-corner and on the river.
Over all it was a wonderful experience.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2008

We stayed at this hotel last year when it first opened and it was "okay" for the price. It was clean and not very noisy. However, when going through Glenwood Springs this year we were going to stay two nights, but had to cut it down to one since this hotel was some completely awful. Let's see, when we first checked into the 1 bed suite, the fridge was making this awful loud noise. We called down to tell them that there was no way were were going to be able to spend the night. Maintenance guy said he couldn't fix it, so just unplugged it and could not change our rooms (we needed a fridge for milk for our baby). Then, the hotel is "non-smoking"...yeah, right. Guy across hall was smoking in his room and then as he walked down the hallway to the elevators! I called to tell them & they did nothing. Room smelled so bad of deodorizers, my husband got a really really bad headache from it. I think what they do is allow people to smoke in the rooms, but then just use a bunch of air freshners to mask the smell. Guy next door to us had people coming and going all night, were loud and annoying. He left the door to the building on the side open with a rock to let people in all night (when i went down to complain, I saw the door propped and let the front desk know). They did nothing of course. Definitely not a place you want to stay with children...perhaps some sort of criminal activity going on there, who knows. Just a gross hotel and I will never stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
achoicegm, General Manager-Partner at Glenwood Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2009

I regret this guest had bad experience. I would like to address a couple points. First we are a smoke free and pet free Hotel. Our guest registration form requires their acceptance of these policies and they’re made aware of the penalties including a cleaning fee and being asked to find other accommodations. I’m sorry the electronic door lock wasn’t functioning when this guest stayed with us. It has been repaired. I believe this is the reason the door was propped open by a rock at that time. Our guest’s privacy and security is one of our foremost priorities. However if we are made aware of any illegal activities in our Hotel, we invite the people involved to leave immediately and contact the authorities. We do pride ourselves on excellent customer service and I would personally like this reviewer to contact me Sean Cronin. I promise I will resolve this matter to their satisfaction.

Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights. The breakfasts were awful and the service even worse. When we discovered our room had not been cleaned after our first night we called down to the front desk. The lady who answered the phone told us we must have left our 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and then hung up on me. (We had taken down the sign at 9AM when the REALLY NOISEY maids were still cleaning the room across the hall.) I called down to the front desk again and spoke to a gentleman who again said I must have left the sign out and that there was nothing they could do to remedy the problem. We would not stay here again if it was free.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2008

The exterior is above standard but nothing remarkable. Once we were inside however, we were impressed by the level of customer service. The staff all seem to be personally interested in each guest. The rooms are far above average in finish and cleanliness. My wife was pleasantly surprised by the sample pack of goodies in each room; I couldn't eat enough of the ample breakfast (sausage, eggs, waffles, yogurt PLUS the standard complimentary breakfast).

We were perplexed by a strange mechanical sound in the room that night, but it was easily masked by the fan. The manager promised to investigate it after I mentioned it, but it wasn't enough to cause us to change rooms.

We thought the location was actually good- out of the center of Glenwood Springs- where we could easily access 'our' hotel without parking hassles or traffic. Driving, it's about 5-6 minutes to the hot springs/downtown.

There's a DQ next door; it's 100' to the rivers edge; the adjacent property has a pool and spa for guests from either property to use.

Overall, we are very pleased to have found this hotel- and will make it our choice for future (3x/year) getaways to Glenwood Springs. We have stayed at the Hot Springs Lodge since I can remember, but that property is so tired and expensive, we were (fortunately) prompted to look elsewhere. We found Glenwood Suites (also called Clarion Collection) on Tripadvisor. I was confused about the relationship of the 2 hotels from the web- there are 2 hotels: Clarion Collection is signed and called Glenwood Suites; The Quality Inn is across the street, and under the same owner- it is where the pool & spa etc are. I recommend staying at the Glenwood Suites- it's so nice!

Thanks to the management (Paul) for making our stay so pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bestestes
Reviewed 16 March 2008

Just returned home from a three week holiday in USA from UK. The last nine nights were spent at the Clarion Collection, Glenwood Springs. Being a very new build the room was very clean with comfortable and large beds. Large LCD TV with cable was standard in the room (although finding anything worth watching was difficult apart from the odd M.A.S.H rerun!). Staff all very friendly, especially Clair at breakfast. Great views of the mountains and close by river although the odd freight train rattled along the nearby rail line. Anyone looking for a reasonably priced nights sleep should look know further.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2008

I have stayed in Glenwood for one night stays the last 11 weeks for business. I stayed at a majority of the hotels in the area because I did not find one that was great until I stayed at the Clarion. Everything in the hotel is new and very nice. The rooms are spacious with upgraded accomodations throughout (flat screens, nice bedding, granite countertops etc). The staff is first rate as well. I would say the Hampton Inn is the second best option but a distant second. Only down side for this property is no pool on-site, although even there you can use the Comfort inn pool next door. I travel a lot and would put this as the best motel/hotel I have stayed at.

Stayed: February 2008