“Total Disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Colorado
“Total Disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

Judging from the website, this place seemed just what I was looking for--until I arrived. The room was MUCH smaller than I was led to believe, it was shabby looking and dirty. There was soap scum and hair in the tub and when I brought it to the attention of the staff, I was told "Oh we're replacing all the tubs." I was told there was a DVD player in the room but there wasn't. When I asked if I could get a DVD player, a maintenance man brought me a remote control and said he didn't know anything about getting me a DVD player. I finally got the DVD player but the person who came to install it thought it best to disconnect the cable TV so that I could use the DVD player. She was in my room for 30 minutes bumbling around while I just wanted to relax in my "modern elegant suite." HA! I decided I would make the most of my visit to Glenwood Springs regardless of my Hotel Denver experience. Then, as an added bonus, when I got home, I got a call from them telling me that I ripped their couch and I was expected to pay for it. It was quite obvious that the couch was ripped LONG before my arrival. We are still squabbling over this matter and I fear I will end up paying these people just to get rid of them. Is this how they will afford to buy all new tubs as opposed to just cleaning them? I will never return to Hotel Denver. I consider myself reasonably well traveled and this was the single most disappointing hotel I have ever stayed in.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2008
6 Thank RunnyBabbit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2008

We just returned from a weekend at the Hotel Denver. We booked the swim, ski and stay package in a Denver room. The staff, especially Jennifer, was very helpful from the day we booked our reservation until the day we departed. She recommended an excellent Italian restaurant, Florendo’s. Since she grew up in the area she was a great source of information regarding history of the hotel and local places to visit. The hotel is very clean, quiet and cozy.

• Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank walzmat
Albion, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2007

Two visits to the Hotel Denver and they were both great. I love that place. The location is perfect for me because I traveled by train both times via California Zephyr and it is no problem to walk to so much of what people go to the Springs to do.

The older rooms are charming with the antiques and all and management has done a great job incorporating the same feel in the newer part over the brewpub. Food there is not fine dining but really good and tasting the beer is an adventure in itself.

(One tiny bit of complaint: the night desk person was awfully annoying in his insistance that we have dinner at a certain restaurant. We later learned that the resturant has an "arrangement" with those who send business their way. That is probably common but I have never seen it so blatent as it was here.)

I love that place.

• Liked — Location, historic yet comfortable.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank MrPahl
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2007

The Hotel Denver is a great Hotel if you are looking for something more than just a room in a building. Each room and the hallways are decorated with old style furniture pieces which definitely add to the character of the Hotel.
This was our third visit over the last 5 years and can always say that the rooms, bed linen and towels are always clean. Our one disappointment this time is that they must have updated the mattresses since our last visit 2 years ago and they are definitely overly hard and uncomfortable.
Service from all staff was as always very good and friendly. This visit, we had booked in for 2 nights and had a problem with the air-conditioning which could not be fixed promptly, so were upgraded the next day to a suite at no extra cost but with the same hard mattresses!
The Hotel is located right near the Colorado River, Downtown Shops, Restaurants and just a 5 minute walk to the Hot Springs, but is also right opposite the very famous and historic Railroad Station and a front room could be a problem for some as the Union Pacific runs freight trains 24/7 and probably on average once every couple of hours. They don't usually blow the horn!
Another bonus is the excellent Brew Pub located on the ground floor which has a great atmosphere, provides very good meals, some of the best Beer available in the USA and all at very reasonable prices.
Apart from the 'hard' beds, my only other concern is the current room rate which has crept up significantly in recent times and isn't the best value in town if price is important, especially when even basic breakfast items are not included like other more modern establishments in the area. But, it has a character that these other places just don't have.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Hard Beds
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Geordielass2
Boulder, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2007

Stayed at the Hotel Denver 2 nights and had 2 rooms for 3 adults. Everything seemed to go just fine until we checked out. Seems they need to clear up some issues with their method of processing credit card charges. Without elaborating here, I've had frequent contact with the hotel since we left concerning their accounting procedures. We will not be returning to the Hotel Denver.

• Liked — Location of the hotel
  • Disliked — Communication with the Manager of the Front Desk
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2007

My husband and I stayed here on August 15th to celebrate our one year wedding anniversary. This hotel could not be closer to the train station! It is directly across the street. We took the train up from Denver along with a lot of other people that seemed to have the same plans that we did, so when we arrived there was a line of guests that stretched out the front door of the Hotel Denver. The girl working the front desk was extremely efficient and polite to every person she talked to, and was able to take care of everyone's needs in a timely manner. There were a lot of unique decorations for us to admire in the lobby while we waited, too. I especially liked to mother-of-pearl inlay of the train.
This was not the most historical hotel I've ever stayed in, but they don't claim to be. I would describe it as "charming" without being "country." The wood furniture was all different, the place was covered in a variety of colored quilts (walls, beds, etc), and the additions to the original building did a reasonable job adhering to the Colorado-mining-town style. The only part that I'd really consider dated was the dropped tile ceilings. Those were a little strange.
Our room overlooked the restaurant, and it was true that we could hear all the goings-on in the street until the bar closed. I enjoy hearing other people's conversations so it added to my experience, but I've read many reviews from others that don't want to hear anything, so for those people I'd recommend requesting a room away from the front of the building because the partying was defintiely audible.
We had a very enjoyable weekend and would stay at this hotel again sometime. We were able to relax very easily here!

• Liked — Proximity to the center of town, very neat historical train picture in lobby
  • Disliked — Ugly ceilings!
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lierre
Arvada, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2007

NO HOT WATER!!! My boyfriend and I stayed here 8/17 - 8/19. There was never any hot water for a decent shower- we were lucky if it was luke warm. We stayed in the standard room, which was small but clean; the bed was only a full, not a queen. We had a room overlooking the street where the train station is. The noise from people on the street could be quite loud at times. The staff and location was great. Overall, a decent stay, but I will be paying a little more $$ my next trip to Glenwood for a hotel with hot water!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Lack of hot water, noise
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple