“4th time staying here in the last 12 months”
Review of Hotel Denver

Hotel Denver
Ranked #1 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Parker, Colorado
“4th time staying here in the last 12 months”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Over Mother's Day weekend we stayed at Hotel Denver in Glenwood Springs. This was the fourth time we have stayed there in the last 12 months. Once again we were pleased with the friendly and professional staff. The front desk staff is so helpful and will go above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. The last 3 times we have stayed in room 333. The room is roomy and pet friendly (we traveled with our 2 large yellow labs). The bed is so comfortable and the rooms are clean. The hotel is close to 100 years old and has a B&B charm about it. We also have a 2 year old and have requested a crib for our room each time we have stayed. The crib is always ready in our room when we check in (which is unusual as other places we've stayed we have had to remind them). We will continue to stay at the Hotel Denver every time we travel to Glenwood for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Room 333 is a great pet friendly room with a view of the train station, the hot springs and the Colo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Love staying at Hotel Denver while in Glenwood Springs. Right across from the train station with the Interstate on the other side, you feel like you are in a European village. Walk across the pedestrian bridge to the north side of the Interstate and you are at the pools that Glenwood Springs is noted for. Views from rooms facing north you see the mountains rising up to the east and the plans spanning out to the west. Quaint rooms and great accommodations for the traveler.

Room Tip: ask for a room that faces north.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We have stayed at the Hotel Denver many times over the past 10 years and once again, they did not disappoint. We brought our 2 dogs with us and it was nice not to be shuttled to some ground floor room because of them. Stayed in the Colorado room which had a very nice sitting area with sofa and comfy chairs. The only issue was the room was above the restaurant and noise traveled into our room from the floor vent. Would have been a big issue if the noise would have continued late in the night, but it didn't. Bed was comfy and appreciated the extra quilts in the room. Thought I remembered being told there would be doggie treats given at check-in but we never received anything. Not a big deal but don't advertise something and then don't deliver. Again, minor stuff. Love this hotel and will always stay at Hotel Denver when in Glenwood Springs!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WireFoxTerrierMom
Silverthorne, Colorado
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My husband, child, dog and I stayed in the Colorado Rooms. These larger one bed rooms are great! But my mother-in-law had Queen-View room that, while smaller, was still a comfortable feel.

Why would I say excellent over just very good? Wouldn't excellent be a 5 star hotel like the Broadmoor or George V? Well excellent has the little touches. The hand made quilts in each room that can be purchased offer an individual, no-room-is-alike touch. The old building with brick walls make me feel like I'm staying in not just any standard hotel with white plaster walls. The antiques in each room and throughout the hotel are a wonderful touch. And then the service at the front desk was very personable, by all the people working! I interacted with at least four different people at the front desk and all were very friendly and helpful.... even when I needed some help having some stuff cleaned after having a sick baby.

Like the Hotel Colorado, the Hotel Denver allows dogs. Unlike the Hotel Colorado, the Hotel Denver doesn't charge for dogs. Me and my pup liked this too.

The lobby seating area was great for socializing with other guests over morning coffee and who doesn't like discounted entry into the Glenwood Hotsprings?

Room Tip: Pros to facing the river: You have a view of the river. Cons to facing the river: You can hear the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Denver. We arrived a little grumpy due to bad directions and street construction but the front desk staff was so warm and welcoming and positive that they totally turned us around! We enjoyed the beer at the brewpub next door and they gave us a great recommendation for breakfast. Our room was very clean, comfortable and quiet.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Chicago
Reviewed 15 May 2014

The Hotel Denver is an interesting place to stay in Glenwood Springs, CO. We enjoyed the B&B-like room and enjoyed some yummy craft beers in the lobby while waiting for a table at the brew pub connected to the hotel. The staff was very helpful and gave us a bag and towels to use for the hotsprings, which are a short distance away and well worth it--especially after a day of hiking!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
california
Reviewed 12 May 2014

I chose this hotel based on positive Tripadvisor reviews and #1 ranking. However, I was very disappointed. First, there was road disclosure around the hotel due to ongoing city road construction. There was no place in front of hotel to unload luggage and unloading could only be done at side entrance up and down stairs from parking lots about a block away. I was surprised the hotel website does not have any information about the road closure or access information.

Second, I booked a "pet free recently renovated" room. Upon check-in, I asked about rooms with river view, and the employee recommended a "queen view" room (which according to hotel website, is "Queen view rooms have one queen-sized bed and feature views of the Colorado River, or Glenwood's surrounding mountains) facing the river which also faces construction. I specifically asked about construction noise as I am very sensitive to noise. The girl assured me construction doesn't start until 10am. I also inquired about rate difference, as queen view room is one level below the room I booked. The girl told me there is no rate difference although I knew based on the website it would be a downgrade. As I would like to have a river view and it was already late, I didn't insist on the price adjustment.
The disappointment began as soon as I walked into the room (Room 316). First of all, there was only very limited river view, as my room faced the train station, and the river was behind the station pretty far from the room. Secondly, the wall was not soundproof at all and I heard everything my neighbors said as well as the TV noise. While there was no construction the next day (Saturday), I was awakened by an Amtrak train at 4am as the hotel faces the Glenwood Springs Amtrak station which was right in front of my room. I was surprised the girl who checked me in didn't address possible noise from trains after I inquired about construction noise. Also, the AC system was so loud that I had to turn it off in order to sleep.
When I checked out, Roxie (who received a lot of positive reviews on Tripadvisor) asked how my stay was, and I told her about the problems - noise from adjacent rooms, train, and rate difference from a lower level room. Roxie apologized and advised that only the "pet free" and "Colorado" rooms at the ends of the buildings have been renovated with better soundproof walls. She also confirmed that there should have been a rate drop for the room I actually took and gave me a credit immediately. I only gave 2 stars because Roxie was apologetic and acknowledged what the girl who checked me in should have done differently. I understand it is a historic/older hotel and didn’t expect everything to be perfect. However, given the fact there are rooms in the hotel that were renovated with thicker walls, and the room I originally booked was one of them, the girl who checked me in shouldn’t have recommended a room with lousy soundproofing in front of the train station….
If you are sensitive to noise, definitely spend a little more to book the renovated rooms, although the hotel website does not provide enough information about the condition of each type of room.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hongpei
Candace C, Manager at Hotel Denver, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Dear hongpei,

Thank you for taking the time to share this feedback from your recent visit.
We feel that feedback is a gift that allows us to continue to grow and improve our guests’ experience.

It is important to us that each guest enjoys his or her time with us, and I am sorry to hear we missed the mark during your time here.
We will share your review with our team in an effort to learn ways to better respond to specific concerns and requests.

We hope we have an opportunity in the future to welcome you back into accommodations better suited to your expectations.
If you have any additional questions or would like to discuss this further, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly.

Warm Regards,