“Great place for couples and kids”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glenwood Springs
Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, Colorado
“Great place for couples and kids”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Kids all the way to elder adults love it here! Relaxing, friendly, helpful staff always around to help. Fun to see all the people from around the country and world who stop by here to have a good time and relax!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 10 September 2012

I absolutely love getting away and going to Glenwood Hot Springs lodge and pool! The rooms are so nice and clean and so close to the pool. They truly care about their guest. Jill at the Hot Springs Lodge was EXTREAMLY helpful today in helping me make my parent’s anniversary so special! She had amazing customer care, a happy attitude and was so kind! All of the staff is fabulous! It is the only place to stay in Glenwood and really take a vacation! I HIGHLY recommend it!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

The room was nice and clean. We got access to the Hot Springs which are just across the street, perfect for a quick swim or relaxing time. Breakfast was also across the street at the pool, variety of choices. A very nice experience! Also easy to reach most of the restaurants, just across the highway:about 10 min walk.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
rockies
Reviewed 7 September 2012

Recently stayed at the Hot Springs Lodge in Glenwood Springs. When making our reservation by phone, the people we spoke with were very pleasant and helpful in booking our room for us.

We arrived a bit early (check-in is at 4pm), but they were able to get us into our room right away. The room was very nice, clean, and updated with all the bells and whistles needed for gadgets... ipod/iphone dock, usb ports on the entertainment center, etc.

Staying at the Lodge was a great value as it included parking, unlimited visits to the hot springs pool, and a full breakfast at the grill with a great selection... omelet station, pancakes, biscuits and gravy, oatmeal, cold cereal, yogurt, fruit, bagels, juices, etc. Coffee is available in the hotel lobby and at the grill, as well as a coffee maker in the hotel rooms. The hotel was quite full but it was a quiet and relaxing stay.

We thoroughly enjoyed our time here and would gladly go back again.

Room Tip: Our room was on the north side. It didn't have a nice view as it overlooked the parking lot but...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2012 via mobile

We have stayed here several times. At first glance, it may seem overpriced. But when you consider your daily pool passes are included, as well as the free hot breakfast made to order, it comes out a good deal. Not to mention, the convenience of walking over to the hot springs pools. We go several times a day, and would hate to have to drive from a hotel further away. The service here was great, and our room on the first floor was surprisingly quiet. The beds were comfortable, and the decor was nice. In fact, I cant think of anything to complain about! We will not stay anywhere else when we go to Glenwood

• Stayed August 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Reviewed 30 August 2012

First of all, props to this hotel for actually providing information about their ADA rooms online (this is rare). Too bad not all of it was accurate.

BIG ISSUE: No hot water in the middle of the day for over an hour. Like, completely switched off (water wouldn't even come out if you only turned on the hot). Called the front desk (who hadn't been notified) and they called maintenance to find out that they had turned off the hot water to make repairs, and were told the back-up supply would come on within 10 minutes. It took an hour.

We arrived to find that all four handicapped parking spaces by the front entrance were taken. It would be 24 hours of coming and going before we even SAW one of the spaces open up. The handicapped spaces are poorly located by a median, so the spaces require parallel parking. On the right side of the vehicle, you have a traffic lane (so you are unloading your wheelchair, luggage, etc. into potential oncoming traffic). On the left side of the vehicle, there is no curb, only a median, so you would not be able to unload a wheelchair, walker, crutches, etc. on the left side of the vehicle -- a handicapped driver could not park here unless he/she could walk on uneven surfaces unassisted.

We confirmed with the front desk staff that there were no other handicapped parking spaces, though we did notice in the parking garage at least one spot that used to be a handicapped space but has been painted over and turned into a normal parking spot. This meant my husband would have to unload me and my wheelchair or crutches in one spot and then go repark elsewhere each time.

We checked in and went up to our ADA room -- the absolute furthest away room on the floor, requiring me to traverse not one but two long hallways. (Particularly difficult when I was on crutches.) Getting in and out of the room was an ordeal at first, because housekeeping had parked their giant cart blocking our door. An able-bodied person would just have been able to squeeze past, but I could not do it in my wheelchair without an extended period of maneuvering. Housekeeping staff had left the cart in front of our door and left their supply room (located next door to the ADA room) wide open, but they were nowhere in sight. My husband could not move the cart because, of course, he was off having to repark the car in a non-handicapped space (the only ones available). I would regularly find myself trapped in hallways during my stay, as the cart was parked in places that blocked wheelchairs from passing and (as I mentioned) our room was the absolute furthest from the elevator.

When housekeeping finally came back, found me trapped, and moved the cart, I went to get ice, which was a bit of a trek because the 4th floor ice machine wasn't working during our entire stay, so I had to find the third floor one (located in a different place than on the fourth floor).

Our room was decent and clean, though I agree with the many reviewers who commented that it's not as nice as the price would indicate. My husband felt all of the furniture was cheaply constructed and he had a horrible time sleeping on the saggy mattress. The website shows the room having two small bedside dressers and an additional table with (according to the hotel website picture of the ADA room) multiple chairs, but this was not the case. We only had one bedside dresser, on the left side of the bed. Due to the nature of my disability, I have to sleep on the right side of the bed, and I also needed a bedside dresser to hold my considerable stash of disability-related supplies. Instead, I had to settle for keeping them on the nearby desk (a small one with only one chair), which meant we did not have a usable desk during our stay and I did not have a drawer I could reach from the bed.

The ADA room, ironically, had the smallest balcony in the hotel (despite being a king-size bed), with the door placed at an awkward diagonal angle that would be hard for anyone in a wheelchair to open from outside. The balcony was so small that the two metal chairs, metal table, and swimsuit drying rack were already jammed into it awkwardly -- no idea how one would fit, much less maneuver, a wheelchair out there (I didn't bother trying). (The website does honestly portray the awkward triangular shape of the ADA room's balcony -- double the size and make it rectangular, and you have an idea how big most of the non-ADA rooms' balconies are.) I think that if this hotel were taken to ADA mediation, they would have a hard time justifying this balcony as ADA compliant (see picture).

When we arrived on Sunday afternoon, they were shampooing all of the hall carpets on our floor. This meant our hallways were moist, muggy and chemical smelling during our entire stay. When the chemicals started to wear off after a few days, my husband commented that he thought the hallways smelled like his college dorm.

I have been coming to the hot springs pool since I was little, so I knew the pool and what to expect, and enjoyed it as usual. However, I did not know until I arrived where the lodge was in relation to the pool. For an able-bodied person (especially one who can use the shortcut set of stairs), the trek is not bad at all. But for anyone using a manual wheelchair, walker, crutches, or just someone with trouble walking extended distances or inclines, be aware that it is a bit of a hike and it is on a hill. If you have the option of a power wheelchair, USE IT. I saw at least one very unhappy face struggling with the walk.

BREAKFAST TIPS FOR EVERYONE: be aware that the trek from the lodge to the pool and grille is outdoors and around the block. Go before 9 am if at all possible. The crowd gets much worse after 9 am, and despite the fact that breakfast is open until 11, selection is minimal after 9am. (Their sign advertises an assortment of breakfast cookies and pastries, but their entire Monday morning selection after 9 am consisted of: 1 muffin, 1 pastry, and 8 donut holes -- after my husband and I ate, there were only 4 donut holes left. This was not a holiday weekend.) Their seating system is poorly set up, so bring things to leave at the table, or a homemade sign that says "THIS TABLE STILL IN USE" and leave it on your table when you get up. Otherwise, here is what I saw happen (especially when crowded): you arrive at the grille and are seated at a table; you leave the table to go up and order your hot food; while you are up, the staff seats someone else at your (apparently empty) table; you have to find a new table; your food is ready so you go get it; your table is given away again; you find a new table, eat your food, and get up to order seconds; your table is cleared and a new group is seated at your table; you have to find a new table. And so on. Procedures change from day-to-day: sometimes the host takes your ticket, sometimes the kitchen staff takes it, sometimes you get your own silverware, sometimes it is provided for you. Prepare to be confused. Also, be aware that on a crowded day, you will not be able to move through the seating area in a wheelchair and will need someone else to get your food for you. You have to go to different areas to get different types of food, so it's just not worth all the maneuvering through skinny walkways. If you are mobility-impaired, I recommend bringing paper and a pen, so that you can write down what you want and give it to a family member if it is too crowded for you to get your own food. There is no plastic silverware available at the grille or the hotel, which is unfortunate if you are hoping to use your in-room fridge and microwave to eat restaurant leftovers for lunch. Unlike most hotels that serve breakfast, this also means you can't really take the food back and eat it in your room.

The mini-fridge in the hotel was normal width but strangely shallow and not even the depth of a restaurant take-out box (my primary use for hotel fridges). Also, the shelves felt too flimsy to use, so we took them out in order to not break them and to have space to tilt our take-out boxes slightly sideways so they would fit.

Positives: the in-room TV stand has a nice assortment of outlets and input jacks for attaching devices to the TV. The tub was just barely big enough for me to put my shower chair into it (I need a shower chair but did not want to give up the tub for a roll-in shower). The in-room combination safe was easy to use. The A/C mostly worked, though the temperature fluctuated wildly and our room overheated during 2 of our 3 nights. The staff was polite (and really, the only specific staff member I had an issue with was the housekeeper whose cart was perpetually blocking the hallway -- but the sheer size of her enormous cart wasn't her fault).

Be aware that, due to the nature of the hotel's heating/cooling system, you will not get to choose between A/C or heat. All of the rooms will be set to the same option any given day -- you will only get to control how MUCH A/C or heat comes in. This could make for uncomfortable temperatures during seasonal change times of year when temperatures vary widely. (Their hotel information book explains this.)

The Wi-fi was unreliable in our room, but since we were located in a remote corner of the hotel, it may have been the sheer distance from civilization.

If you shop at the sport shop by the pool, be aware of price tricks. They post signs advertising discounts that aren't real: Case in point, if you buy a swimsuit advertised as $10 off, they just add $10 to the sticker price and then take it back off. (You can't tell me they manually individually repriced hundreds of swimsuits for a "sale.") Plus, it then counts as a "sale" item, so you can't even use the 10% off coupon that comes with your hotel room. Also, while in the sport shop, I overheard multiple employees telling people to park at the pool to go elsewhere to other attractions and restaurants in Glenwood -- no WONDER parking is so bad and it is so hard to find handicapped spots (either at the lodge OR at the pool)! The sport shop employee who helped me was nice to me though a little clueless. And I felt horrible when the woman in the dressing room next to mine tried on a "One Size Fits All" item that didn't fit, her husband asked the employee about a larger size, and the couple was told "that's one size fits all." Well, obviously it isn't or he wouldn't be asking for a larger size, but thanks for making the poor woman feel fat instead of just saying, "Sorry, no we don't." It created a whole awkward scenario and some uncomfortable conversation between the husband and wife.

All in all, think carefully before booking. For some people, this is the perfect hotel, but not everyone.

Room Tip: Ask a LOT of questions if you need an ADA room or parking spot. You may find yourself not able to g...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank B D
Colorado Springs, CO
Reviewed 24 August 2012

This is a lovely hotel. The rooms are very comfortable and come with amenities like a refrigerator and microwave...even a drying rack for your swimsuit. Speaking of swimming, our room came with breakfast and passes to the hot springs pool for each day of our stay. We enjoyed our stay tremendously. The hotel is conveniently located directly across the street from the hot springs pool and just a few minutes walk from downtown restaurants and the train station.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family