“Anniversary Delight”

Glenwood Hot Springs Resort
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We stayed at the Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge for our 34th Anniversary May 30th - June 1st and had a wonderful stay. We had passed by the Lodge many times over the years as we whizzed by on the interstate vowing we'd stay "someday" and are so glad we made that wish a reality. Although the room was on the small side, it was very comfortable, and quiet! The furnishings were a couple of steps up from ordinary and nice. The beds were amazingly comfortable - firm but with a pillow topper that you could sink into. I slept soundly with no morning aches and pains from a too firm mattress. The bathroom was clean and well stocked with soft, fluffy towels (four of everything.) The shower always had plenty of hot water and great water pressure. The only downsides to the room were the lack of lights - it was really too dark. And the TV was impossibly hard to figure out without instructions, which were no where to be found. Each file path took me to an area where I was in danger of having to pay for an unwanted premium channel or movie. I finally gave up and just enjoyed the quiet with my husband - which was probably a better choice anyway. The hotel staff was very kind and helpful, especially the ladies at the front desk who never seemed flustered or too busy to answer a question. We knew the pool was part of the property, but didn't expect the unlimited passes on both Saturday and Sunday - which we took advantage of! The pool was delicious! The natural hot springs keep the pool warm and healthy - I could have stayed all day! We were given breakfast at the Grill (across the street next to the pool - not a big deal to get to for us - and we went right from the restaurant to the pool which was super convenient) as part of the room price. It was fine - it definitely better than most continental breakfasts with hot omelets, pancakes and scrambled eggs available, and their Irish cut oatmeal was very good. But I was expecting a little nicer breakfast from a sit-down restaurant - maybe with a few more choices of eggs and pastries. We came in on the Amtrak train, expecting the hotel shuttle to be at the station to pick us up, but there was no shuttle waiting - although other hotels had their shuttles there. We had to call twice before they showed up - half an hour later. But the up side was the hotel is just across the highway from the depo and we could have easily walked - and probably should have. Next time we will. Overall, we had a delightful stay. The shuttle glitch and the lack of lights were small things - the big things: quiet, comfortable bed, clean, working bathroom with plenty of towels and a warm, wonderful staff were what made our stay a delight.

Room Tip: Make sure your room has a balcony - that was fun!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Please don't be deceived by the photos on their website. You will NOT be staying in the charming old turreted building that appears all over the website. Instead, all rooms are in the Lodge, which is a nondescript stucco building across the street from the pool. Think "Hampton Inn" or "La Quinta," but at double the price. When we booked our "Yampah Queen" room, I asked about the view and was assured it would be on the South side with a nice view overlooking the pool. As it turned out, our room was just down the hall from the lobby with a view of the road instead. Surprised, I asked to be moved to an upper floor but was told that all the rooms were taken and that I "should have specified an upper floor" when I made my reservation. I resignedly returned to my room where I promptly attempted to access the promised free wifi to look for a place for dinner. Well, we couldn't detect the wifi network at all in our room. When I called the front desk to inquire, the employee told me that "like an old house, the hotel has it quirks." I was told to go out into the hall to get on the network, then go back into my room and I'll be fine. Apparently, the laws of physics are special at the Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge, so if your iPad somehow snags a signal elsewhere in hotel, your iPad can drag that signal back into the room with you. Dutifully, but with much skepticism, I went out into hall and sure enough, there was a five bar signal. The problem was that the signal disappeared completely when I stepped six feet to my left by returning to my room. Sigh . . . .

And be forewarned: They like their rules. On check-in you have go through a sheet of paper and initial repeatedly, acknowledging that you understand that you will be fined for doing this or that, including a fine if you smoke in your room or balcony or are "suspected" of smoking in your room or balcony. Penalizing someone for stinking up the room I get, but penalizing them if you "suspect" them of stinking up the room?! Good grief . . . . On our last day, a Sunday, our train was late and I asked if there was any way we could get a checkout slightly later than the posted noon check-out time. The officious woman at the desk told me that housekeeping would not approve any late checkouts and that we needed to be out by noon "at the latest." In other words, it wasn't that they needed the room. Rather, they just choose not to accommodate the guests.

Now for the good: The beds were comfortable, the rooms were clean, and the breakfast was fine. But none of that overcame the predominant feeling that this hotel believes it was doing us an enormous favor by taking a lot of our money and permitting us to stay there. Bizarre. Moreover, they don't deliver what they promise.

We love Glenwood Springs and return there often. We'll obviously be staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: If you are promised a view and wifi, make sure you get it in writing when you book.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here for 4 day for Memorial Day and it was so enjoyable. The staff, especially Sara, were great and attentive. The room was clean and quite. The package comes with a great breakfast and hot springs pool access. It is located a pleasant walk across a foot bridge over the raging Colorado River and the Rio Grande R.R. to the downtown area.

Room Tip: Southern rooms face the pool, railroad and Colorado Rivver.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We loved staying at the Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge! It's so close to the hot springs pool, you can walk! The room was spacious and clean, super comfortable. You also get coupons for a free breakfast at the grill and a discount coupon for the sport shop in addition to unlimited entry to the hot springs pool. It was a great value and a great stay. We'll be back!

• Stayed: May 2014
layala10, Lodge Manager at Glenwood Hot Springs Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Thank you for your recent endorsement of our property. We are positively thrilled you enjoyed the value and ambiance of Glenwood Hot Springs. We appreciate your efforts to post your recent comments and sincerely hope to see you again in the near future.

Warm Regards,
Loretta A. Ayala
Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here with my sister for a girl's getaway weekend for Mother's Day 2014. We had a great time visiting the hot springs at our leisure (included in the price of the room) and also the nearby hiking (Hanging Lake was AMAZING, but was a fairly difficult hike - very steep and rocky terrain). The hotel is obviously old, but well cared for and most of the rooms have been updated. My only beef was we paid for a room with a balcony and didn't get one. The breakfast was also very good (omlette station and all the standard continental fare), but is in the building across the street with the hot springs facilities and health club. Not a big deal, but you can't grab food and take it back up to your room. The rooms and beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was nice and clean - what more can you ask for? Front desk staff was also helpful with our questions, but seemed understaffed at our arrival (several groups arrived at the same time and there was only one clerk, which made check-in quite slow).

Room Tip: If you ask for a 'quiet' room, you'll get one that faces the back of the hotel (parking...
1  Thank shanny0140
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Our family had a great time at the Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff were very friendly. Access to the pools and the cooked to order breakfast are a great addition to the lodge accommodations. The Lodge is conveniently located off of I-70 and is walking distance from many of the attractions and great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms open to a nice grassy courtyard
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Glenwood Hot Springs Lodge for two nights and spent 2 full days enjoying the hot springs pool and hot tub. The views are amazing from this lovely hotel, the beds are among the most comfortable that I have ever slept on, the staff is friendly and helpful, and the hot breakfast was delicious. Thank you to Glenwood Springs for giving us such an enjoyable experience.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple