“watch out people because they overbooked for this weekend”

Silver Spruce Motel
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Reviewed 21 June 2011

I made a reservation for the 23rd, 24th and the 25th over a month ago. I recieved a phone call two day before the arrival date from the hotel to let me know that they overbooked the hotel and if i wanted to move my reservation to another hotel. Do i need to say how mad i was i told her NO!!!! and she was still insisting. After a lot of phone calls I finally found a hotel who had rooms availabe and canceled my reservations with silver spruce. Beware people bad work ethics.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank gloria_imelda
There are newer reviews for Silver Spruce Motel

Reviewed 1 June 2011

Lady at front desk is amazing -- she has 5 balls in the air at once, never dropping any, AND keeps her wry good humor. My husband called her the hardest workin' woman in the hospitality industry. Considering we were in a mtn. tourist town over Mem. Day, that's saying a lot! Morning brkfst o.k., the usual stuff. Rooms clean and fairly spacious (we had queen double). Loved the sheets; they've been washed down to a very soft hand, but not thin or holey. Free unsecured WiFi network, a must for almost any traveler these days. Hot tub on premises. All in all, a pleasant place to stay.

Minor irritations -- pillows just right for me, rather thin and synthetic filling; husband likes fluffier, down-filled. Light over vanity pretty dim, and can't turn on light in tub/toilet room without turning on fan. The timer switch for the sunlamp doesn't work because lamp's been replaced w/smoke detector (kinda weird). Last, tub supposed to be a jet tub, but didn't work. To be fair, it was *not* advertised hotel had this amenity, just when we saw it we thought "great!", so disappointed when it didn't pan out. BIG irritation - booked Jr. suite online, and asked for smoking; got a non-smoking room. Immed. went back to desk and got room swapped for smoking, but reg. room not as nice as jr. suite would've been AND charged same price.

Room Tip: book online; be VERY definite on preferences
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2010

The silver spuce offers really nice, clean and spacious rooms. Breakfast is included and is much more than a cup of coffee. Wafels, oatmeals bagels...very good!
The wi-fi is a bit slow but works good. The hiting is a bit noisy but not needed on all night so sleep is very relaxing. The beds are new and rooms are recently reformed. Bathrooms offers a hidromassage bath. Les than a mile walking distance from the city center

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank ERE_86
Reviewed 26 October 2010

The pros far outweigh the cons at this hotel. Rooms could use some revamping and updating, but if that type of thing doesn't bother you, stay here!

Location is hard to beat. You are within easy walking distance of the springs and a huge selection of restaurants to fit every budget and culinary desire. Also within walking distance to the Adventureland which has a lot of activities.

The hotel's site lists continental breakfast. That's mostly true, but you should know it also includes waffles you make yourself and biscuits and sausage gravy, so not your average hotel version of continental.

I was extremely happy to also discover our room had a small refrigerator and a microwave. That lowered our food costs considerably. And since you can bring your own food & beverages to the springs. . . double yay!

Rooms were surprisingly quiet given the age of the building.

Not a lot to do at the hotel if you have small children, but you didn't come to sit in the hotel all day anyway. There's more than enough around there to keep the little tykes busy.

If you like long walks, running/jogging, or are bringing your bikes, you have ready access to the miles of paved (cement) trail.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank 1Dad1Kid
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I came up for a couple of nights and was totally satisfied, especially considering the price. The free breakfast (biscuits and gravy, cereal, bagels, make your own waffle, OJ, coffee) was much better than anything I've ever had at an Econolodge or other similarly priced hotels, where they usually just have donuts, coffee, and OJ. And for sure, the location was really convenient: walking distance to the pool and downtown. The staff were pretty friendly and the room was fine.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2010

I recently visited Glenwood Springs area for business and was so happy to find the Silver Spruce. The location is great within walking distance to the hot springs. Each morning I had a wonderful breakfast that was free!! The rooms were comfortable and very clean and the murals in the front lobby are great. I understand that they were painted by two local artists. If you get the chance to travel to this area you should definitely stay here.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 January 2010

This hotel is the most expensive one I have stayed at on my 1 month journey, and it has been the worst. After I realized that the tv didnt work, I thought, screw it, I'll take a bath. I noticed there were jets in the tub. I went to grab an ashtray, realized there were no ashtrays in the smoking room. I went to my car to get bubble bath....came back and realized..that not only did the jets not work, there was nothing to plug the water in the tub with. So I called the desk. A woman answered that didn't understand a lick of what I said. I repeatged to her, do you have a stopper for the tub? WHAT? IF YOU WANT TO TAKE A BATH MAME, JUST TAKE A BATH. Like I was the idiot. After she finally figured out I needed a stopper for the water in the tub, she told me there was a silver tab on the tub. There was no tab. It is amazing to me that not only was she unaware of the fact there was no plug in my room, she didn't know what a tub stopper was and acted like it was my fault. I gave up and went to bed.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple