“Disappointed....”

Ranked #19 of 23 Hotels in Glenwood Springs
Princeton, New Jersey
“Disappointed....”
Reviewed 22 July 2006

My boyfriend and I were not expecting luxury, but comfort would have been appreciated. We called and made reservations for the 'honeymoon suite' which was supposed to have a king bed and jacuzzi tub. When we checked in, we were given keys to a small room with two double beds. We went back to the front desk clerk who told us that the room she gave us was the room we paid for, which wasn't true. She said if we wanted the 'honeymoon suite' we would have to pay more, but she didn't think there were any open anyway. So, reluctantly she gave us another set of keys and said we could look at another room she had available to see if that better suits us. (And when I say keys, I mean real keys, the key for the door was a huge key that looked like an antique from the 1900's--odd) So, anyway the 'new' room was bigger with one queen bed so we took it. The front desk clerk said we were lucky she wasn't charging us more. Lucky, we were not....as the bed was so uncomfortable you could feel the springs, there was a huge light shining into the room when we were trying to sleep and the continental breakfast in the morning was unrecognizable.
The only plus was that it was close to the White Water Rafting place that we went to the next morning--our reason for staying in Glenwood Springs. Glenwood Springs looks like a cute town with much nicer hotels than the one we stayed at. So my advice is not to wait until the last minute like we did and make reservations or you will end up here!

• Liked — proximity to great white water rafting!
  • Disliked — the entire hotel
  • Tips/Secrets — stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank kandr11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 July 2005

I stayed with the Silver Spruce this month and I was so amazed! I've never had such a great time at a motel before. The staff was so friendly! I had only one problem. I locked my keys in my car and one of the maintince workers came out with a hanger and helped me get back into my car. Some service!
I travel alot so knowing that this motel is out there I wouldnt go anywhere else. The rates were good and they have very clean rooms. So after reading all the reviews on this page I couldn't believe some of the things people would say just to get a free room!
So I have nothing but good things to say about this place. Good Job Silver Spruce!!

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 May 2005

We stayed for two nights in the King Honeymoon room, I chose that room because it has a fireplace, a jaccuzzi tub and a bay window. There was also a microwave and a small refidg. They have a continental breakfast with the usual items (toast, bagels, cereal and pastries) it was good. The motel is within walking distance to basically everything, including the Hotsprings, downtown Glenwood and the tram to the caves. We had no problems, the staff was nice and our room was clean. For the size and quality of the room it was a very good price, I believe we payed around $70 a night, I would stay there again.

• Stayed April 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Littleton, Colorado
Reviewed 26 March 2005

We just returned from a Spring Break vacation in Glenwood Springs. We go every year to relax at the Hot Springs Pool. This year was our second at the Silver Spruce. We have also tried the Hot Springs Lodge, The Hotel Denver, Starlight, the Ramada, and the Glenwood Motor Inn. We liked the Silver Spruce the best.

We had a second floor non-smoking room. The decor was pleasant. It looked like it had been recently redecorated. The bathroom was clean and the towels were changed every day. We got extra pilows when we asked for them. The hotel was clean, quiet, and close to the Hot Springs pool.

One nice touch is the continental breakfast. There were pastries, cereal, bagels, English muffins, coffee, and juice. There was plenty of seating or you can take it back to your room.

We took two kids, ten and thirteen, and they enjoyed themselves. The only negative was that the hot tub was not open on the first day. It did open for the rest of the stay.

We have read some of the other reviews here and disagree with the negative comments. This is not the Hotel Colorado or the Hotel Denver but it also doesn't cost as much. If you want a good basic, clean, and inexpensive hotel the Silver Spruce does fine. We will go back again.

• Stayed March 2005
14 Thank Colo_Traveler05
Arvada, CO
Reviewed 11 December 2004

Our son was 8 months old and crawling when we visited the Silver Spruce. His little legs and hands were LITERALLY black from how dirty the floors were. We had to ask for sheets to put down just so our son could crawl on the floors! The staff didn't seem to care much at all about the filthiness of the rooms.

7 Thank Kelly W

Travellers are raving about these Glenwood Springs hotels

Lakewood, CO
Reviewed 17 August 2004

We stayed at the Silver Spruce July 12th and 13th, 2004. The room we stayed in was very small and the carpet was a little dirty. The whirlpool tub in the room was broken and the front desk was unwilling to compensate. Also, I would not recommend staying there in winter, since there is a big gap at the bottom of the door where cold air and bugs get in. The walls are thin and you could hear everything in the next room. There was one girl at the front desk that was rude and not very helpful. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2004
6 Thank Tink088
Westminster, CO
Reviewed 10 August 2004

We reserved a room for three for the period 8/6/04 through 8/9/04. When we made the reservation we gave the Silver Spruce our credit card number and asked for a confirmation number. We were told they didn't use confirmation numbers and assured us there would be no problems. Subsequently we called two days prior to arrival to confirm and the day of the sixth to notify them once again that we would be arriving late that night. Upon arrival we were told there was no record of our reservation and thus no room despite their assurances our room would be held.
The night clerk immediately set to work seeing whose reservation she could give to us from the remaining guests who had not arrived. This made us wonder if our reservation had been given away in the same manner.
Beware, as represented by the night clerk, this motel does not use or abide by confirmations. Beware also that accomodations at Glenwood are nonexistent on a weekend like this. We ended up at Eagle in a pleasant helpful Americinn that we would highly recommend.

8 Thank Les1shel