“Nowhere else in the nation displays or informs our nation's climbing heritage, and the BWAMM does it wonderfully.”

Bradford Washburn American Mountaineering Museum
Ranked #29 of 62 things to do in Golden
More attraction details
Owner description: The Bradford Washburn American Mountaineering Museum inspires an appreciation for the mountains and mountaineering. Through exceptional, interactive exhibitions, education programs, and world-renowned speakers, the Museum educates visitors about the history of the mountains, the climbers who visit them, their delicate environments, and the diverse cultures which inhabit them. "It is the first of its kind in North America and the ultimate mountaineering experience available indoors" - Jim Whittaker, First American to summit Mount Everest
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Other countries celebrate their mountaineers and their climbers the way we celebrate our overpaid and overhyped "professional" athletes. Here, in Golden, we finally have a place to celebrate and inform visitors of the climbing heritage and history of the climbers and mountaineers in the USA. Well done and informative displays, lots of bits and pieces of history (both written and materials/hardware), as well as movies and photographs. Definitely not to be missed while in metro Denver, and especially while in Golden. While an avid mountaineer can spend many hours in the museum, you can make do with a shorter visit of an hour or two if that's all the time you have. The same building also houses the American Alpine Club, the AAC library, the Colorado Mountain Club, Big City Mountaineers, Outward Bound West, the Colorado Fourteeners Initiative, and Climbing For Life. The auditorium above the museum frequently has speakers, movies, and shows as well. Parking is plentiful and free.

Reviewed 4 December 2008

I read Into Thin Air some years back and was amazed about what goes on while climbing mountains. Since, I've followed shows like Discovery's Beyond Everest - I really love this stuff. Now I found this museum... and what a find it is!

Located in a nice little town of Golden, my family and I found this place to be an excellent few hour stop prior to hitting the Colorado mountains ourselves. As the museum is very new (doors opened in 2008), everything is very well done and of high quality. There was something for all of us... and I believe the attraction would appeal to both hard core climbers and armchair types like myself.

One display I particularly enjoyed was a model of Everest. I've read the book and watched the shows... but for the first time, I felt they I really 'got' what the climbing involved, what the route was and how the various camps play in things. The model is huge and to scale (I don't know how they built it... but it's really cool!).

Lots of interactive displays, videos, nice range of topics covered (current, historical, domestic and international climbing), etc.

Definetly recommend this place!

1  Thank lucyloofan
Reviewed 3 December 2008

If you're anywhere near Golden, be sure to visit the Bradford Washburn American Mountaineering Museum! It is an incredible place for climbers and non-climbers, with everything from mountain history to mountain cultures, to how people climb peaks and why they do it.

I've been there with my family many times, and there's always something new to learn. From Colorado's Fourteeners to an amazing, massive model of Mount Everest, there's something for everyone in the Museum, and you can do some great shopping afterward in Base Camp.

Check it out...you won't be disappointed!

2  Thank Jake N