“Short stay, impressed! ”

The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Had low expectations. I was impressed by the cleanliness and how large the room is. Checked in late but staff at reception was helpful in guiding us to several dining options. Hotel should consider serving food till midnight. Air conditioning a bit noisy and traffic very early morning since 5:00 can be heard in 2nd floor room. Room rate quite pricey for what it offers. But for 1 night business trip, it's a very good proposition in Golden, CO.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Thank pierohat1969 .
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at The Golden Hotel. We are so pleased you choose to stay with us. I am so glad to hear you found our front desk team members helpful and overall enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I have to tell it like it is...and I'm questioning some of the other reviews here. As far as the service at this hotel - it can't be beat. The service is top-notch. Checking in was actually a PLEASURE. The staff is well-trained and they obviously don't just hire "anybody" to work there. The restaurant staff as well - excellent. I can't say enough about them.

Here are the downers for this hotel:
1. They use those motion-sensor type thermostats. So in order for the air conditioning in the room to work, there has to be movement in the room. Otherwise it doesn't go on unless the temperature rises ????? degrees (I don't know). So all throughout the night, it was hot and uncomfortable. Since it is summer now, this is very important, at least to me. I also think that there is some sensor that is on the door to the room. So when you leave, it will shut off the A/C and more than likely you will return to a "warm" room. When I first got to my room, it was hot, so this theory of mine stands to reason.

2. The shower head....Oh dear God the shower head. The thin, powerless stream that comes from this shower head would be very effective for misting a fern. But it doesn't do any good for humans. Of course, you are in "green" Colorado so the management probably believes that they are saving the planet by putting these low-flow shower heads in the rooms. But it just makes the stay that much more uncomfortable. You will have to stay in the shower longer to wash and to rinse your hair, so that defeats the entire purpose of low-flow. PS - the toilet was low-flow but it functioned just fine. It WORKED. I'm not against being a good steward of our natural resources. But when something doesn't work, then it needs to be called out. Not everything labelled as "green" is a good product. Period.

So - to wrap it all up - great service as far as the people go, but two of the most important factors in the rooms (at least for me) is the A/C and the ability to get a decent shower. Sadly, this brings the true rating of this hotel way down. We are on a scale of 5 circles and since there is no 2-1/2 I had to give it a 3.

Other little things not affecting my rating:

1. Restaurant food was good, but not great.
2. Safe in room was closed when I got into my room. I realized this later at night and called down to see if that is normal. Clerk said that it is not unheard of that the prior guest may have locked it, and he asked me if I wanted someone to come up to get it opened up. I declined and just didn't use it.
3. Got a room with 2 double beds. One of the beds was so worn that it felt like I was sinking into a big hole. Switched to the other bed which was noticeably better.
4. Inside bar - It's OK but there is this strange yellow picture? painting? which is the centerpiece of the bar. There are harsh, blinding fluorescent lights behind it which shine through. You are left looking at a big, bright-yellow blob. That is the ambiance for the inside bar. Whoever designed this "thing" should not be in that line of work, IMHO. I took a picture of it with my cell phone.
5. I went to print my boarding pass and lo and behold-----it's an Apple, or a Mac, or whatever. Not a Windows computer. So I couldn't figure it out and I wound up going to another hotel that had a Windows computer to print my boarding pass.

Like I said, these last 5 things did not affect my rating. I do not expect the hotel to change it's policies on the A/C or the shower head. So I will not be back. I don't require a comment from the hotel, but if they want to that is fine. It will not affect my decision. But at least I gave them some free quality control.

That's all folks! This is an actual, truthful, review from someone who stayed there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank DaneIronfoot
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are looking into everything that you alerted us to, as we take all guest feedback very seriously. We would gladly welcome the opportunity to speak to you directly. If this is something you would be open to please contact us at your convenience and please ask to speak with me directly. We are obviously disheartened to hear about your experience, exceeding guest’s expectations is truly what we pride ourselves on.
Looking forward to speaking with you and again thank you in advance for your time.

Dana Mielke – Hotel General Manager.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I'm traveling on an Abbott Tour Bus for vacation and the trip has suffered one setback after another, The hotel was booked for the group and instead of getting there around dinner time we didn't make it until after 10 pm. Even at this late hour the staff was ready with porters to help with luggage, checking us in within minutes of arrival and ferrying luggage for 30+ people to rooms as fast as it was unloaded from the bus. Though the restaurant was closed the reception desk made sure we didn't want some sort of late night snack. All we wanted was off the bus and stretched out in comfortable beds. And they were comfortable. Lots of pillows and towels, comfortable temperature in the room and no road noise. Pure heaven for weary travelers. If I have any complaints it would be that the soap dispensers in the shower seemed to contain more water than soap.

The following morning we had a lovely buffet breakfast with bacon, eggs, potatoes, the standard morning fare. Many of the group were surprised at the spices added to the bacon and potatoes. Having come from the South being introduced to western spices was a surprise. Especially at breakfast. The restaurant staff was very attentive and spent time a answering questions and giving directions while pouring coffee.

The hotel backs up to Clear Creek which has a wonderful paved trail for some distance on both sides. Even though we were leaving at 8 a.m. many of us took the time to walk part of the trail and admire the sculptures, gardens and history plaques. It is well worth a return to appreciate it properly. From this hotel there are lots of history to explore and adventures to be had without needing more than a map and a good pair of walking shoes. It's just off the corner of the main street of Golden and a few miles from the bustling city of Denver. It is a quiet location decorated in a western motif and maintained very well.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back of the hotel overlook the creek.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review of our property. Although short, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and time at our property. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with all of our team members Again, thank you and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I booked a meeting room at the Golden Hotel for packet pick up of the Golden Gran Fondo, a bicycle race I host. The staff were a delight to deal with, the booking process was quick and straighforward, and everything in the room was set up as we had discussed. I am looking forward to hosting packet pick-up at the Golden Hotel for next year's 3rd Annual Golden Gran Fondo.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you for your five star review; we very much appreciate your kind comments. I will be sure to share them with our wonderful team members. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Good choice if you are staying in Golden. Right in the downtown area with a creek running right behind the property. Easy walking distance to everything. Clean and well-appointed room. This is a great choice if you are staying in Golden.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. We are so pleased you enjoyed our convenient location and brand new guest rooms. Again, thank you and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Only a 20-minute drive from the Red Rocks Amphitheater, my wife and I had a great memory of eating in The Golden Hotel restaurant (The Bridgewater Grill) a few years ago so we decided to return and stay here during a trip to see James Taylor in concert. I'm so glad we did. This is a clean, comfortable hotel that I commend for paying attention to even the smallest of details.

Our room was spacious and the beds were arguably the most comfortable we have ever enjoyed. Each of our queen beds had six pillows on it and the linens were high quality. Over the course of our week-long vacation to Colorado, we slept the best the one night we stayed here.

Of course, we enjoyed another dining experience on the patio of The Bridgewater Grill. Very good food and a great view of the mountains and especially of a little stream that that runs parallel to the hotel.

Our only complaint: We like a dip in a hot tub before bed or breakfast and this hotel didn't have any pool or hot tub. Yet, we knew this going in.

If you are going to a Red Rocks concert, touring the Coors Brewery or just want a good, convenient place to stay while visiting downtown Golden, The Golden Hotel is your place. We plan to return again in the future!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dana S, General Manager at The Golden Hotel, an Ascend Collection hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your 5 star review of our property. How wonderful it is to hear of your memories of us and we hope you made another great one during your recent trip for the James Taylor concert. We couldn’t be happier to read all of your amazing comments. Thank you again and we are looking forward seeing you the next time you are in beautiful Golden, Colorado!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

I travel often to Denver for business and typically stay at Marriott properties. I travel for business and need to stay within per Diem. After two nights at A Marriott property down town Denver , did not have availability, so i needed a hotel between Denver and Boulder- Marriott had three properties in Golden with availability. After researching tripadvisor I decided to go the Golden Hotel in Golden. The hotel is in Golden proper, and the Marriott hotels are on the Highway near a mall.
I am happy that I picked this hotel. Golden is charming with a little town with restaurant and bars. There is a clear creek with a walking/jogging which is very pretty. The hotel is on the creek and our room faced the water. We walked to Coors and School of Mining.
If you want a charming hotel, in a charming town near Denver this is your choice.
I walked the other golden hotel on tripadvisor, ( which was more expensive), I liked the location
The Golden hotel better as it faced the creek.
I definitely will consider this hotel for my future Denver visit

Room Tip: Stayed in 407 facing the water- Loved it
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank galedd

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and taking the time to comment on your recent experience. We appreciate very much your kind comments, are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back in the future!