“Underwhelmed.”

Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Wichita, Kansas
“Underwhelmed.”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Recently stayed with my mother and two young boys. Room was VERY small for the price. We were expecting so much more. The pool area was nice but nothing special. The staff was fine too. The beds were ok. We did have everything we needed right there in the building so that was a plus.

Stayed September 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Phila
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Spent a three day weekend here last week. Apparently I didn't specify my choice of bed at time of reservation and was assigned double beds. Front desk was able to switch me to a king immediately. Alanna, a manager trainee, was outstanding!!! She had a refrigerator delivered immediately and was very efficient and professional.

Jessica in housekeeping was very helpful also.

I did think the Starbucks in the lobby could be better staffed in the morning.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Thank you for your review and for being our guest. Our staff takes pride in the service that they provide and I appreciate you letting us know that Alanna and Jessica got it right! We are thrilled that they are a part of our time. I will review your comment regarding our staffing in Starbucks in the morning and work to improve. Thank you again and I hope that you have the opportunity to join us again in the future!
Denver
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Several days prior to my stay I had requested a refrigerator in my room.
Once I checked in, the host admittedly said "yes of course" it's all
been taken care of.

Come to find out, no in fact nothing that I had requested was taken care of.
I don't find myself to be special, but I honestly didn't earn SilverMarriott by
chance. I travel all the time, and like to think I deserve just a little more
care.

The one thing that really annoyed me was the "Bar / Dinning area".
Here it is a wonderful atmosphere, however the staff needs a lot of work.

Sat down with my children for dinner and was constantly waiting or searching
for staff. Food was great, but once again the staff are rued, lack
responsibility and certainly do not have motivation to help customers.

Yes I realize that job is probably not the bread winner but perhaps a second
job just to make ends meet, but I pay a lot of money to stay at Marriott's
around the world and expect great service, at least some service.

Oh and the Starbucks, well after my wife had to speak with the girl behind
the counter did I get the coffee I had actually requested. The girl insisted she follows recipe's that
have been told to her. However if these recipes
are correct, everything tastes watered down.
I am not a huge Starbucks fan but occasionally enjoy a good coffee.

Room Tip: you want a room facing South, if you dont like to look at a roof
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
I am truly sorry to hear about the service issues that you encounter while visiting our hotel. I appreciate you letting us know so that I may address and correct the issues. I have reviewed with our staff and we are working diligently to improve. I hope that the next time you are in the area, you will consider staying with us again.
Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed 16 September 2013

I kind of expected more from this visit at the Marriott. My husband and I stayed here in September, 2013 for my high school reunion (which was also held here). Our room seemed a bit small, but that could be because it was included in a "special rate" block of rooms reserved for the reunion. There is no free continental breakfast (although you can go to the in-house restaurant and pay top price for breakfast); no refrigerator in the room; indeed, there wasn't even any ice in any of the four icemakers we checked. Toiletries from Bath and Body Works were supplied, but there were just two towels in the bathroom.

When we went down to use the jacuzzi, we found there is only one working jet for the whole thing. We called to see if we were just not finding the controls, only to be told that's just the way it was - too bad. The indoor pool was posted "closed," but we were able to swim in the outdoor pool, which was quite pleasant. The workout room seemed to be well-equipped and clean (but we did not use it).

The staff was friendly and as helpful as they could be - they printed out a movie schedule and when we told them about the lack of ice, they provided us with a small bag of ice (just the right size for our cooler). Our duvet cover had a hole in it; one of the lampshades sported several holes; there was no screen on the window. One has to wonder if Marriott is in financial trouble - as we left, we noticed that a tarp had been secured to the roof over the carport for the check-in area.

The dinner that the Marriott prepared for the reunion was excellent - my husband had swordfish, and I had chicken; there was cheesecake for dessert. There is a Starbucks kiosk in the lobby, which was a nice touch.

All in all, there are much better deals out there, and unless the Marriott chain steps up to the plate and does a little work on this particular property, I would recommend you shop around.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. Your review will help us make the necessary improvements in the detail of our guest rooms. While your group had negotiated a specific rate, we do offer regular rates with or without breakfast so that guests can select what works for their travel needs. The Denver area experienced unprecedented rains and flooding just prior to your arrival and the tarp you noted on the roof was in place as a precaution. I apologize that it made our building appear in disrepair. We hope that next time you’re in the area you will consider staying with us again.
Delhi
Reviewed 9 September 2013

For a double room, with two double beds, it was economical with space. Beds were alright.
We stayed three nights.The accommodation was otherwise comfortable. We had stayed at rooms with better facilities, at much less cost. We were in Golden to attend a wedding reception. Bathrooms were clean alright. Service at the reception desk was found wanting due to staff, who seemed disinterested. Perhaps, she was having a bad day, when I appeared in front of her for a query. I had a much better experience, when I interacted with the front desk staff on the phone.

Room Tip: Our room with windows facing the Boulevard had a pleasant view, with a lot of greenery around and hi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel one night in late August 2013, Room was clean. Large room with lots of space. Comfortable bed. Price was acceptable as well. Staff was friendly and helpful. We would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
MarriottWestMgmt, Manager at Denver Marriott West, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for being our guest and I'm glad that you would like to stay with us again. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Washington
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The hotel is clean, rooms are freshly decorated, nice linens. The staff is a little confused about service. Cleaned the room at 4:30 one day then woke us early in the morning the next day to clean it again. Left a note under the door at 4:30 AM the third day to tell us the water would be off for several hours -- no cleaning, no toilets, no nothing. Restaurant food is serviceable but go eat in Golden if you want quality.

Room Tip: Get a room on the 5th floor and use the Concierge WiFi to avoid Marriott's sky-high internet pri...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family