“The Marriott stole from us” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Denver Marriott West

Denver Marriott West
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Seattle, WA
“The Marriott stole from us”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2009

We recently had our wedding reception at the Denver West Marriott in Golden, CO. At the end of the night, the staff offered to take our gifts to our room. Well, they never made it there. I felt extremely bad not acknowledging our gifts with a formal thank you card so I sent out a mass email to our guest explaining the situation. When I contacted the claims service, I was once again told nothing could be done and then was hung up on. If you are looking to have a joyous trip, look elsewhere.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mscott4115

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Herndon, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2009

Unfortunately, I stayed at the Denver Mariott West the week after staying at the Grand Hyatt in Seattle. By comparison this was a somewhat unremarkable hotel, although I would rate it somewhere between average and very good.

The hotel is located in what appears to be a business park several miles west of Denver. You really need a car here, especially if staying more than just a night or two... otherwise you will be limited to the restaurant and bar at the hotel. It's not an easy walk to get to other places to eat.

The staff were all pleasant and competent - no complaints other than what have become almost expected small housekeeping screw-ups on the last day (no replacement of coffee bags and toilet paper roll). There is a coffee shop in the lobby area for morning breaks and limited pastries, and there are also in-room coffee makers. There was no newspaper delivery to my door for some reason (other rooms on the hall were getting papers), but both the USA Today and Wall Street Journal were available in the lobby. I liked the availability of a free airline check-in kiosk in the business center near the front desk. However, it looked like you have to pay to use the other computers in the business center.

The rooms were nice enough. I was in Room 111, which is actually down a level from the lobby and is a ground floor room with sliding glass doors opening to the outside. My room was nice enough, although kind of a mix of old (phones, TV, lamps) and new (furniture). The bathroom was tiny, with a difficult, kludgy shower control. Someone with arthritic hands would really have difficulty turning on and off the shower and making temperature adjustments, in my opinion.

If you stay here in the summertime, I highly recommend driving to the top of Mt. Evans in the evening. Leave about 4:00 PM (or go very early in the day) so you have a better chance of seeing wildlife as they come out and eat one last time before nightfall. I saw a herd of 28 Rocky Mountain big horn sheep up close and personal in the Summit Lake parking lot, and another herd of about 25 mountain goats farther up the mountain... as well as three or four yellow bellied marmots out sunning on rocks.

Anyway, I would have no problem staying at the Denver Marriott West again if alone. The bathroom is too small for two people, especially if one of them is my wife!

P.S. Enjoy the occasional baby rabbit sighting on the hotel lawns.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Brian M
CALIFORNIA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2009

The location is about 20 minutes west of Downtown. We didn't mind the short drive to get to the downtown area and it was fairly traffic free. This hotel is located right next to a large shopping center that has large department stores as well as many restaurants. Our favorite was Yard House! Hotel is immediately off the freeway but far enough that you don't have to worry about any noise affecting your stay.

The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool as well as a hot tub. There is a nice cantina inside the hotel that serves lunch and dinner as well as drinks with its large bar. Also, there is a cafe that serves Starbucks so you can get your morning fix.

The rooms were your average hotel room. They were clean and had enough space to move around. The one negative is the $13 fee for internet. This should be free and included in the price of the room. Parking was plentiful and at no charge to guests.

We would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
breckenridge,co
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

We stayed overnight after a business/banquet meeting in this hotel. First, the banquet rooms and meal were fantastic, and the servers friendly and attentive. Our room had two double beds that were very comfortable. We needed additional towels, and tracking down someone to help us was easy. Clean bathroom with plenty of supplies, and an excellent health club. The buffet breakfast in the restaurant was healthy, fresh and priced right. We were very impressed, and plan to stay again when in the area.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

Just returned from a three night stay at the Marriott. We paid an additional $10 and had the rate that included breakfast. What a deal!!! You had the choice to order off the menu, or eat from the breakfast buffet. They even had made to order waffles and omlettes. The food was delicious.

We were upgraded to the lounge level, so we enjoyed the free wi-fi and snacks, fruit and beverages. The rooms have recently been renovated and the beds were comfortable. We especially enjoyed the indoor pool and work out room. They also had a sauna, hot tub and locker rooms.

Although there are still a few signs that the rooms are not "brand new" (no flat screen tv's) this hotel was an excellent value for the rate of $109/night. The staff was very friendly and I will definitely stay at this property again. This is the first time that I have ever taken the time to write a review, but I really felt it was justified!!!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2008

I'm in Golden a couple times each month. I've stayed in hotels throughout the Golden area and have settled in on this hotel for my regular stays.

I think this is a 4 out of 5 star hotel, but my rating is based on my experience there. I consistently have great stays here, and it's because they have a terrific staff focused on service.

This is a good hotel with good facilities, that improves its standing in my opinion by providing great service. It's clean in all areas, the people are incredibly friendly, they try to make you feel at home, it has good restaurants, nice rooms, decent pool and workout room, and an appropriate price for the value you get.

What keeps this from a 5 star hotel is the level of amenities. They're very good, but this isn't a resort or a spa. It's a pool, not a waterpark. The workout area is nice, but it's not a Bally's like gym. The restaurant and bar are good, especially for hotel fare, but don't expect a gourmet chef. You won't have the little luxuries, but the staff will be very helpful.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Amenities
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Midwest_Rob
albuquerque, nm
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2008

Stayed on a Thursday and Friday night, and the pool was open late and warm. The hot tub was nice and hot, with fresh towels. The Blue Mesa Sports grille is more like a bar, but maintained a lively group the two nights we were there. They are kinda watered down mixed drinks, but staff is friendly and attentive. Only con was they were asphalting the drive when we left, so we didn't know how to leave without signs, but finally drove around to figure it out. There is a mall nearby and easy access to I-70. Red Rocks Ampitheatre is MAYBE a ten minute drive. All in all, very pleased with hotel, it was clean and friendly and everything worked! Definitely would stay here again if I needed to stay in the area.

• Liked — Starbucks and the indoor pool
  • Disliked — The bathroom is really cramped, nicely appointed, but cramped.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
      Check-in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank demosthenes09