“Greatly exceeded expectations”

Ranked #9 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Port Macquarie, Australia
“Greatly exceeded expectations”
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Chose this property online for location and price, then started to worry that we may have set ourselves up for a rough night...but on arrival we were pleasantly surprised by a charming front entrance, and we continued to be delighted throughout the stay. Extremely **warm, friendly and helpful** desk staff and housekeeping; nice little pool, VERY comfortable bed, quiet room, and a "continental" breakfast including make your own waffles made for very happy kids!
Only complaints, coffee at breakfast was poor quality, and the bathroom was very small and lacked decor - but was clean and functional. Everything else was well beyond expectations and I wouldn't hesitate to go back.
Excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Wyoming
Reviewed 22 January 2011

We have stayed at this hotel 3 different times, in 3 different rooms since Oct 2010. The toilets have not worked right in any of the 3 ground floor rooms we had. Our last room was the worst. If you tried to flush ANYTHING, even just paper, that was not liquid, it took at least 3 flushes to empty. Additionally, the tank was very slow to fill. My wife complained at the front desk the next morning and the clerk said that they had lots of complaints about the toilets, passed them on to the owners and the owners did nothing.

Other than this, the room was fine and the same as other La Quintas we've used.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Maurice95
Mirfield, West Yorkshire
Reviewed 8 October 2010

I usually qualify my reviews by stating that anyone checking my review profile could think that I am easily satisfied as most of my reviews are very positive. Such is not the case but arise because I invariably only book hotels after reading the TA reviews and choosing the better ones.
We chose the LQ at Golden for our first night in the US this year. This allowed us the clear Denver before our annual road trip began in earnest.
Very pleased with the choice. It’s all been said before - friendly staff, good clean comfortable rooms / bathroom, more than adequate breakfast. Ideal location and we didn’t really notice any excess noise form the adjacent I70.
Would we return – most definitely as we use Denver as a starting point often because the airport is so easy to access and all roads lead out from there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James B
God's chosen county of Lancashire - England
Reviewed 11 September 2010

I stayed for seven nights in early August 2010. After getting hideously lost on the way from the airport (it was dark, there was a thunderstorm, I wasn't used to US road signs!) I eventually arrived with frazzled nerves. The check-in staff were lovely, even offering me a coffee which I felt really rude for declining but by that point I'd been awake for nearly 24 hours! Check-in was super-fast and within ten minutes of arrival I was unpacking my case.

After reading the TA reviews I'd phoned the hotel about a month earlier to ask if it was possible to have a top floor room on the opposite side to I-70. 100% perfection and great views across to Golden! The room was big (I'm used to small European rooms) and the king-sized bed was huge & ridiculously comfy - I slept like the dead every night. The bathroom had plenty of towels and complimentary toiletries. The TV had a good range of channels so I was able to feed my addiction to US television shows all week. The air conditioning unit soon cooled the room on my return each evening, I didn't need it on at night as it's not too hot at night in this area.

As I'd got a special slightly reduced rate for staying for seven nights the room was only supposed to be visited by housekeeping twice, but it was actually cleaned properly three or four times.

I loved the breakfast - I've just ordered a state of the art waffle maker from Amazon after getting hooked on them - which included waffles, toast, cereal (raisin bran & cheerios) & yogurt. There's no "full English" type of food (only hard boiled eggs), which didn't bother me as even the smell knocks me sick! There was also juice, coffee and tea - the tea is the standard Lipton, so if you're a fussy Brit like me take your own teabags! Nobody seemed bothered about that, btw.

All the staff I met were really pleasant and helpful, the parking lot has loads of space and there's plenty of amenities around. There's a Denny's opposite (I love the pancakes) as well as a reasonably priced gas station - although any US gas station seems reasonably priced to me!

About two minutes drive away there's a Wal-Mart and a selection of other stores, eateries, etc. The hotel made a great base to visit Denver, Golden, Boulder, the Trail Ridge Road, Estes Park, Mount Evans, Colorado Springs (Pikes Peak & Garden of the Gods), Fairplay & Breckenridge. Also, Colorado Mills outlet mall is only about two miles away if you're after a few bargains.

Thanks helping me to have the best holiday ever!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 1 August 2010

No frig/microwave, limited TV selections, poor quality linen, with no extra blankets brought to room. Finally even the clock radio didn't work and the tablet they had to eat off of feel apart.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed 27 July 2010

Pool was very warm, room was clean and staff was great. Really nothing bad to say at all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
New Jersey
Reviewed 22 June 2010

It was a nice, clean, reasonably priced, and ideally located for my trip. It's not to far from Denver or the Rockies. The staff was nice and compentient. My bathroom light was not working I informed them of this a the problem was fixed quickly. There was also a pharmacy and a wal-mart along with many resturants near by for any forgotten items or stocking up on snacks or drinks.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends