“Excellent Value Stopover on way to Rockies ski areas” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Quinta Inn Denver Golden

La Quinta Inn Denver Golden
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Golden
Cockermouth, United Kingdom
“Excellent Value Stopover on way to Rockies ski areas”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2010

Booked very cheap stopover here through Expedia on way to Steamboat Springs Colorado .Arrived in Denver on uneventful transatlantic flight from Manchester via Chicago O'Hare with American airlines at 5.25pm.After picking up offsite rental car from Thrifty had a 30 minutes drive from the airport west along I-70 .Easy to find hotel just off the frontage road and visible from I-70 .Location is past the city of Denver and approaching the foothills of the rockies. Apprehensive due to price paid though pleasantly surprised on arrival and excellent overall experience led me to book a second night for our return journey and join the La Quinta returns award programme.Very friendly receptionist on arrival and efficient check in procedure. Rooms basic but clean and just enough space for 2 double beds and table. Standard American shallow hotel bath with good powershower. Free wifi cable TV and filter coffee machine with supplied coffee pods .Breakfast included was a real hit with the kids -especially the do it yourself wafflemaker. Self service "continental" breakfast included choice of cereals - instant oatmeal cheerios or raisin bran, toast/bread -brown or white.Fruit yogurt. Hardboiled eggs, apple or orange juice ,coffee.There is an outdoor swimming pool but only open in summer.There is no restaurant other than the area set aside for breakfast in reception. There is a 24 hour Denny's just across the parking lot and on the other side of I-70 was an outdoor mall with Chilis where we had a fast friendly tasty dinner ( also Walmart & Walgrens amongst other stores). Beds comfortable , room quite hot. Noisy traffic audible from I-70 even on quieter side of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Delaware
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2010

Clean hotel with friendly staff and comfortable beds. Exterior corridors , no business office and small bathrooms. Waffles for breakfast (not much else). 2 Star hotel worth $50 a night.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Golden hotels

Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

I stayed here for one night on business. The Inn is right beside I-70 and my room location made it sound like 18 wheelers were coming through my room all night. The accommodations are basic but clean. The location was very convenient and why I chose it in the first place. The breakfast was very basic, unappealing and crammed in the corner of a "breakfast area". You would be better off to go to Denny's next door.

There was an unfortunate situation during my stay of all the power going out -- seems there was a power outage for 20,000 customers in the area. Since there was no phone service in the room due to the power outage I drove to the main entrance as I was concerned and a little bit scared not knowing what was going on. The night desk person was not helpful when I went to inquire about the power loss of at 12:30 am. She really wanted nothing to do with me and ignored me when she saw me standing outside (they lock the reception area at night). I finally figured out there was a buzzer to push from outside the building and once I pushed it she answered through the outside speaker that it was area-wide and not limited to them.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
TROISTORRENTS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2010

Not my favorite place...but it did the trick for me, especially at the reduced rate I paid b.c. of a coupon code I found online. Bfast was ok...but exactly the same thing every morning- waffles - oatmeal - cereal - got old after a few mornings. I would recommend this place for a night or 2 but no more...The free internet in the room was a plus.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Germantown, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2010

We have stayed at this LQ at least six times a year for the last four years while visiting our son who is a student at Mines. From 2006-2009 we found this to be a very pleasant find for a very reasonably priced motel. However in the last year the aging of this LQ has become painfully obvious.

Checkin/Checkout: Always a very friendly staff, very accommodating and helpful. The lobby is always clean and provides an ample area for breakfast in the morning.

Room: The quietest rooms are located at the back of the hotel. The noise toward the front and sides can become loud at time due to the proximity to I-70. I have usually been fortunate to get a room at the back on the third floor (nice and quite). We prefer to take the stairs but there is an elevator. However, the few times we've used it we found it to be slow and not very clean.

Bedding/Beds: Somewhat dated and worn but have found a very clean room 95% of the time. (The one time it was not cleaned well we were moved to another room.) Three foam pillows on each bed. In our past four visits the beds have been better than average three out of four times. (We get a room with two queens and then pick the more comfortable bed.) In January the beds in our room were both poor (the mattresses were just too old).

Bathroom: The towels have never been ample but adequate. But again, the last four visits we've found the age starting to show. On our most recent visit there were visible large water stains on the ceiling and wall in the bathroom area. The shower/toilet area is somewhat cramped and the shower heads have never been raised to accommodate those over 5'6" or so.

Electronics/Internet: Basic, but always working, electronics. Wireless internet available. Agree with a previous poster...it would be nice to have a fridge and microwave in the basic rooms but they are available in upgraded rooms at this LQ.

B'fast: The typical LQ offerings...not bad but nothing that stands out anymore.

Locale: Convenient to many restaurants and shopping. Easy drive to the mountains or a nice stop west of Denver.

Previously I have ranked this about an 8 out of 10 for value and convenience. Now the need for updating and some upgrades has become obvious and, somewhat, needed. My current ranking would be 6 out of 10. While we will stay here on our next visit we've started looking at other places to stay during future visits. I would recommend this to a friend but only after giving my opinion of this LQ.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

We stopped by the La Quinta for a night on our way to Wintepark to ski! I was truly surprised by this place and highly recommend it. It is right near the freeway and near a Denny's. However, you won't need the Denny's because their breakfast was pretty fantastic for a motel. The breakfast includes hot waffles, cereal, fruits,oatmeal, yogurt, pastries and more! The beds are really comfortable and clean, I wanted to stay in bed all day, but had to get up to the lifts. We highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlwysL8r
Derby, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2009

Right off the highway, we pull into the La Quinta after a long drive (heading west to ski). Check in was quick and easy. Room was simple and clean. Breakfast was good: hard boiled eggs, yogurt, waffles, cereal, bagels, juice. No Denver traffic to deal with in the morning as we head into the mountains. A quick night's sleep, a great breakfast, and we were on our way.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family