“Amazing Resort, Amazing Staff”
Review of C Lazy U Ranch

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Granby
C Lazy U Ranch
Ranked #1 of 4 Granby B&B and Inns
Denver
“Amazing Resort, Amazing Staff”
Reviewed 29 March 2010

I traveled to C Lazy U Ranch with my fiance and her two children, ages 10 and 15 for a four day spring break get-a-way.

From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. The staff on hand was so genuine and sincere it was not to be believed. They anticipated our every need and learned all of our names - within minutes we felt as though we were being welcomed to a private home.

The list of activities we participated in boggles my mind even now - did we really accomplish all of that! We went tubing down this crazy steep hill lightening fast, with the kids screaming like they were on a roller coaster. We went snowmobiling in huge open fields on groomed cross country trails or in fresh powder. My 15 year old and I went trap shooting while her mom got a massage in their incredible spa.

C Lazy U even has their own ski mountain complete with black, blue and green runs. We could ski groomers or jump into some tree laden back country. The best part was that we were transported in a heated snow cat. Before we had even exited the cat we found our skis and snowboards already step-in ready in the snow. If we got cold we retreated to a huge 'cowboy tent' complete with wood floor, overstuffed sofas, hot chocolate and wood burning stove. Safety was a top priority as a guide came with us on every run to provide instruction or offer tips.

One of the best parts was the horseback riding. The team there have a genuine love of horses and their individualized attention was not to be beat. Horses and rides were matched with your skill level and with 11,000 acres there is no shortage of new terrain. There is something about riding a horse in gently falling snow in the peace and solitude of the Rocky Mountains that is truly romantic.

The spa itself is one of a kind. Built from reclaimed beetle kill timber milled on the ranch it is a grouping of tents similar to the ski warming tent but in addiiton to the wood burning stoves the floors are heated! Two of the tents are built over a river with glass windows in the floor so you can see the fish in the river during your massage!

My fiance and I decided we need some "quality away from the kids time" so we arranged for the cowboy bath. There are two huge copper tubs in one of the tents surrounded by candles and cool holistic music. We opened the tent flaps at the far end and watched the beautiful Rocky Mountain Range on a cool winter evening in a warm tub with a bottle of champagne.

We didn't have to worry about the kids as they made friends quickly and every evening was accompanied with great entertainment: Karaoke, country bands, movie night - you could even have you cowboy boots branded with the ranch brand.

So we got there expecting hot dogs and beans every night. Wrong! Every meal was a gourmet experience. You could order from an amazing menu for breakfast and lunch and dinner were truly inspired. We had prime rib, filet, bass, halibut, scallops to die for! It was all served 'family style' so you could have unlimited second helpings. The food quality was always flawless and absolutely exceeded our expectations!

It's hard to describe the magical place that is C Lazy U. The staff is so sincere and the activities so thoughtfully assembled - this is truly a great place to rekindle your family spirit.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Nashville
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Wow what a team! In twenty years of traveling to exciting places to create beautiful pictures, I've never experienced better service. These folks should write a book.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Gladwyne, PA
Reviewed 2 October 2009

My family started going to C Lazy U in the summer after my birth in 1969. We went in August and loved it so much that we returned every summer after that for about 20 years! We stayed in the same charming cabin, 'Rainbow West' every time we vacationed at the ranch. The length of our visits were not for the standard one week. We stayed for three weeks each summer! I don't know if the phrase is still used these days but the ranch's accomodations were called, 'rustic elegance'. It's gotten more luxurious since.

One of the greatest things about the ranch is their staff. They did and still do go 'above and beyond' to make your stay truly first class. Employees are intelligent, extremely hard working, courteous and very focused on their guests having the best vacation they have ever taken.

My family made life long frriends with fellow guests who came back year after year every Summer to enjoy everything the ranch has to offer.
My older brother Peter and I also worked there during the summers of the 80's and 90's. Peter was one of the first former guests to be hired on as staff. Since then a lot of former guest's sons and daughters have done the same. I had as much fun working there as I did as a guest; although the housekeepers never made my bed when I was on staff, lol.

Having visited the ranch a few years ago, I saw that it is still an incredible vacation destination! I

• Stayed August 2006, travelled with family
Colorado
Reviewed 5 August 2009

There is something magical about the CLazyU Dude Ranch in Granby, Colorado. It had something for everyone in our family - horse back riding, fly fishing (Orvis endorsed), a one of a kind spa on the river, hiking, mountain biking, tennis, zip line, climbing wall and ropes course, not to mention incredible food and nightly entertainment. Each of our three children went into the kids/teen program everyday and rode horses with kids their age. They made friends with kids from all over the world and they cried when we left. They fell in love with their counselors who were college students working a dream job. That allowed my husband and I to spend quality time together doing fun activities. We didn't have to arrange reservations, entertainment, food - they did it all!! We all agreed that it was the best vacation of our life and cannot wait to get back!

Hinsdale, Illinois
Reviewed 4 August 2009

This is the best family vacation we have ever experienced. My children (4) all told us they will give up any vacation if we can keep coming back. The kids program is amazing, the horse program equally so and there were so many other things to do, we didn't vhave time to do them all. Great Spa, Ropes Course and Zip line. The food is a wonderful surprise and the staff made us all feel very special every minute. In this day and age, this is a unique place for a family to be together and every one of us, no matter what the age, had an incredable time. That is rare today, usually someone is not happy on a family vacation, not here - it's the opposite. We will come back every year and can't wait.

Denver
Reviewed 7 July 2009

Just got back from a 4th of July weekend getaway at the Ranch and all I can say its "AMAZING" first time ever that my children (6 and 8) cried and did not wanted to leave the place. the counselors and the wranglers are really good with kids. My 8 yr old boy has never done horseback riding and after 3 hrs at the ranch he was asking me to let him participate in the "shodeo" a show put together by the wranglers, it was fun to see him control a horse so good. My wife and I will be back again and again whenever possible for we have never seen our kids so happy and unwilling to leave the places we go. food was great and the attention to detail from employees is impecable. Best place ever!!!

new york new york
Reviewed 27 August 2007

Based on a recommendation from friends we had the best all-around family vacation ever. I've been to a number of ranches & CLU is my favorite -- it does so much so well. Hospitality is a key goal & everyone on the staff was friendly & worked hard to ensure that guests had a good time (especially the kids' counselors). I'm an avid rider & the riding is excellent: well trained horses maintained by caring staff , great instruction and a variety of interesting rides in small groups. For those who chose not to ride there is tennis, hiking, fishing, the pool & just hanging out. The pool is warm (not true at many resorts) & there are two hot tubs too (one family, one adult). Rooms have comfy beds (with feather underbeds), lots of toiletries and ours had a fireplace. The food is quite good, especially breakfast which is made to order (you name it, they'll make it). The main lodge has wonderfuly views and a mix of group spaces & cozy nooks. My kids (4, 8 & 10) had a blast. The kids have their own program which took me a bit to get used to but I could see how much fun they had. If you want to spend more time with your kids it is easy to simply do an activity with them (other than riding which is separate). Certainly having a grown up dinner every night is a real treat. While we ate the kids played group games such as capture the flag -- this is not a ranch where kids veg out at a movie.
Again, we can't recommend the ranch enough & have made plans to come back again next year. (as an aside to the country club review: do folks drink at CLU? Yes, at dinner but it was a shared bottle of wine in moderation & not shots of whiskey . CLU has enough guests so that everyone can find common friends without being impersonal.)

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
Devil's Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa
The Canyon Motel
The Canyon Motel
#1 of 3 in Hot Sulphur Springs

Been to C Lazy U Ranch? Share your experiences!