“A year later and still great memories”
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Granby
“A year later and still great memories”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was the first vacation our family has ever gone on and all of the kids cried....they were so sad to leave on our final day that all four kids wept as we pulled away. This was easily one of our best all time vacations. The ranch and the horses are wonderful, but it's the people who own the ranch and work here who make it extra special. The staff is very accommodating and worked with us on special meals for our food allergies. The kids were well taken care of in the kids group and became confident horsemen by the end of the week. We have many fond memories and hope to make a return visit soon.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank W V

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Maryland - USA
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Visited this past week with my wife and 14 + 5 year old boys. Felt as if we were part of the Fosha family. All of the staff was wonderful. I was concerned about running out of things to do on a ranch for 1 week, so we preplanned day trips ahead of time - our car never moved. I had very little horse experience and by the middle of the week learned how to lope, and even let out a few yee hahs! Our 5 year old cried during the entire drive back to the Denver airport because he didn't want to go home!

Word of advice - be sure to get the weekly schedule before booking your flights, since many people left early on Saturday and missed one of the best rides of the week.

Room Tip: There is a lodge and individual cabins. Speak with the Fosha's about which is best for your fam...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Miami Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

They promise a western vacation second to none and they exceed expectations!!
There is a magic to this place that cannot be put into words but must be experienced. If you like, love or were ever interested in horses this is THE place. I have never been anywhere that caters to everyone without exclusion; all age groups from little kids to older adults, but you feel at all times that your personal experience is the one that matters most.
I have traveled all over the world and feel like there are too many places to see to go back to one I have had the fortune to experience, I will have to make an exception!!! 1

Room Tip: Due to their popularity you do not choose your room, good news you are usually too tired to do anyth...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have never reviewed a vacation before but I am suffering from post-vacation blues and thought DWR was worthy of a glowing recommendation.
My 8 year old son and I traveled to DWR last week. I was concerned he would be a little shy not knowing any of the other children and thought he would be nervous riding a horse.....whoa, was I wrong. He immediately immersed himself completely into the Range Rider Program. Ryan and Maggie, the counselors, were absolutely fantastic. The kids all ran wild and free at the ranch...in a good way. They were allowed to be kids and it was delightful to watch them run, laugh, and play hard. My son had no problem with me going hiking for an afternoon off the ranch with Randy Sue. He barely noticed I was gone.
The staff was over the top great! You can tell they love their jobs and delight in keeping guests happy. They are always smiling and always accommodating...from the housekeeping staff, to kitchen staff, to wranglers.
The food was delicious. They had no problem making something else if your child didn't eat what was being served and they graciously accommodated dietary needs.
I highly recommend going on the white water rafting trip that is included in the price of your stay. It was a wonderful day and gave our behinds a little break from the previous day of horseback riding....
...which brings me to the riding and wranglers. They don't just plop you on a horse and bring you for a trail ride. They offer clinics teaching you how to maneuver your horse, trot, and lope. Their rides will accommodate beginners and advanced riders alike. My son grew so attached to his horse that he cried when we left the ranch because he was going to miss him.
There are activities every night, each just as fun as the previous night.
For a reasonable extra fee, you can zipline across the ranch. I highly recommend it. It was a blast.
I have so many wonderful memories from that week....and I too was sad to leave the people I met, both guests and staff alike.
We enjoyed ourselves so much that we are coming back next year and bringing along some more people with us. DWR allows you to disconnect from technology and reconnect with family and nature. After a trip like this, I will never go to Disney again.

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin 7. It was the perfect size for the two of us.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Renee B
Corpus Christi, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We arrived at DWR late, because of flight delays, but as we walked in we were greeted with an amazing meal (the first of MANY) and a kind welcome. As we heard about the week's itinerary, I have to admit, we were a little overwhelmed with all of the horseback riding and activities. How silly we were. From horseback riding with the AMAZING wranglers, to a river rafting trip, to hiking with Randy, to zip-lining over the ranch, amongst others, the activities were PERFECT. There is always the option to skip anything and just rest and read a good book in the beautiful Colorado scenery with the lovely creek water to calm any city-slicker nerves you may have brought with you. By the end of the trip, I was literally teary-eyed, brushing "my" horse and kissing her goodbye.

I would be remiss not to mention the staff and owners. They are AMAZING and want you to have the time of your life. The wranglers teach you so much about the horses and being a better rider. There are scenic rides, or faster-paced loping rides. My family and I appreciated every singe staff person at the ranch. I also have to tell you, if you have children, they are SO well taken care of while you are out on the range or just reading that good book.

Now, for the city-slicker in you. You will at first be a little unnerved by the spotty cell reception and no television, but BOY HOWDY, will you learn to love to be unplugged. (There is wi-fi in the main lodge, and good reception by the pond close to the stables. ;) ) You can connect to the outside world, but as the week goes on, you will care less and less about that phone (except for the camera app to take those amazing photos!).

As we loaded the car, we did so with lumps in our throats. Our children were saying what an amazing time that they had and that we would certainly need to return soon. The best compliment was that they said they wanted to bring THEIR kids to Drowsy Water someday. What a blessing that will be.

Thank you, Drowsy Water Ranch.

Room Tip: Our family of 7 was in cabin 5. It was great, and would have slept 8. All of my sisters and their...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brandy R
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Our family of 6 adults and 1 child recently returned from a week at Drowsy Water Ranch. I cannot say enough about our vacation. It's sometimes hard to believe such stellar reviews on Trip Advisor, but I have to admit, there isn't one thing that was inaccurate. The wonderful greeting and tour we got when we first walked in the door set the tone for the rest of the week - we knew it would be nothing but great. The Fosha family and ALL of the staff were wonderful and truly accommodating in all aspects. I truly wondered how the family could have selected a more wonderful group of people to work at their ranch.

The children's program could not have been run any better - I don't think there was a dry eye amongst any of the kids on the day of departure. The counselors did a fabulous job and there was never a lack of things to do for the kids.

For the adults, the ranch offered a wide variety every day. In addition to a day trip white water rafting, zip lining (right at the ranch), mountain biking, massages, yoga, and pool time, there were very specialized horse back riding trips. From a 2 hour scenic trail ride to an all day adventure, the ranch offered a variety of options everyday. There was a variety of entertainment every night to keep us entertained.

We loved the food and the service. I nearly cried when we had to come home and actually cook our own meals again! It was great hearing the dinner bell, entering the dining room, and all the food was on the table and ready. If dinner was not exactly what you liked or craved, you could literally walk in the kitchen and ask the cook for something else and he'd whip up something else for you - so special requests were definitely not impossible.

The horseback riding was fantastic - we were all beginners and by the end of the week, we felt very comfortable on the high mountain trails. We especially enjoyed all the wrangler stories and the mountain ride up to breakfast one morning.

We do a lot of travelling and would definitely put this on our Top 5 vacations ever list. Would go back in a heartbeat! If you like 'casual', this is the place - it was great not having to worry about a thing. Pack 1 pair of jeans, a shirt, a jacket, a cowboy hat, boots - whammo, that's it! Wear it all week if you want.

Thank you Fosha family!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank RobinsonCrew2013
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 September 2013

We have just arrived back in the UK after our extended trip to the USA. Our first week being at the awesome DWR , followed on by a week in San Diego.
DWR is everything you imagine to be and more-…..it is totally perfect!

I am looking at our photos with ‘brimming over eyes’ and am totally awestruck by the amazing backdrop of the Rocky Mountains surrounding the ranch. It was a privilege to be able to ride such well trained and obviously well-loved beautiful horses in the breath taking terrain.

As non-riders my husband and I were so excited and thrilled to be out ‘loping’ by day two, wearing our Stetson’s and jeans in the mountains surrounding the ranch. What an adrenaline rush to feel the clear clean air on our faces with those unbelievable views!

Our children were even more entranced than us!
A beautiful safe environment for them to frolic and play with other children!
Petting the ranch animals, watching the humming birds, fishing, playing games with the fantastically kind and patient ‘kids crew’- and above all riding out into the mountains with their own much loved horse. My girls adored Clifford and Flounder and were so sad to leave them.
The riding, fun evening activities, food, company, environment and super friendly staff makes this a ranch the ‘Fosha family’ should be truly proud of! (and I know they are!)
It was western dream come true for us.
The hospitality, generosity of spirit, warmth and enthusiasm we experienced was a tonic for us all, and we thank everyone at DWR for making the week so much more than ‘a holiday’.
I would happily recommend DRW to anyone- in the hope they could experience the magic of a ‘Western Dream’ as we did!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jacqbrown
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
Wild Horse Inn
Wild Horse Inn
#2 of 3 in Fraser
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fraser - Winter Park Area

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!