“If you love horses & the rockies-come to DW Ranch to have a great time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Erftstadt
“If you love horses & the rockies-come to DW Ranch to have a great time!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2010

Well it's been our fourth time at DWR and we just love it: what shall I say? You learn to forget about your own life at home, you are perfectly taken care of with a great program for all ages, mostly of course you get to sit in a saddle for a few hours a day (if your legs can take it!) and you'll have great adventures in the mountains. This year we even experienced a thunderstorm and the horses didn't even care, they have heard thunder before....The Ranch itself is neat and rural, the food is great and the Fosha Family with staff take care of you in a very personal and friendly way. We'll be back!
A week at DWR is the best vacation you can get-after that week, you're ready for anything!
Achim

1 Thank SharkyRider

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2010

I'm not typically a review writer, but I couldn't find any reviews relating to children under three, and this would have been helpful to me.

My husband has been interested in a dude ranch vacation for some time, but we assumed we would have to wait until our youngest was at least five to have that sort of adventure. Our boys are currently 3 and 20 months. When I found Drowsy Water's website and saw that they have a program for infants on up, my interest was immediately piqued. I called the ranch and spoke to Randy Sue Fosha, one of the proprietors. She said that yes, they have a kids program specifically for children five and under. I was skeptical. I said, "You understand that one of our children is under two?" She said yes, she understood, that they have counselors who are hired specifically to look after the little ones, that they would have their own activities to keep them busy, and that my husband and I could even participate in the all-day raft trip that was offered if we liked. A staff member would feed the boys lunch and stay in our cabin while we napped.

At those words, I, a stay-at-home-mom who has been starving for a vacation that didn't involve either trying to appreciate the Smithsonian while napping my children in a stroller, or hovering anxiously around the side of a baby pool for hours on end ensuring that no one has drowned, immediately placed a deposit. But as the months leading up to our holiday crept by, I found myself growing doubtful. Because, really, resorts that will look after children in diapers are few and far between. I decided that even if I was granted an hour or two a day to do as I pleased, it would be worthwhile.

When our week at the ranch finally arrived, all my expectations were exceeded. The first evening we were there, an angel named Katie magically appeared and whisked our boys off to the playground so that my husband and I could listen to the welcome speech uninterrupted. When she returned them to us, she said, "Your ride tomorrow is at 9:15, so why don't you drop them off to me in the dining area at 9:00." And again, when we retrieved the kids before lunch, "I'll be at your cabin by 1:45 so that you can go on your 2:00 ride." This was how it went the entire week. Katie took the boys to gather eggs from the hen house and feed the bunny in the mornings, stayed in our cabin while they napped in the afternoons, and took them on the kids' hayride one evening while my husband and I enjoyed an adults-only dinner. I declined the all-day events because I preferred to spend some quality time with my kids at noon, but I have no doubt that they would have been well taken care of if I'd gone on an all-day ride or the raft trip.

The particulars of the ranch have been well documented in previous reviews. The food and accommodations were fine if not at all fancy, but the attention paid to guests by the Foshas and their wonderful staff was very, very fancy, indeed. We are looking forward to more summers spent at Drowsy Water and are so excited to have found a place for our family to build wonderful memories in the years to come.

10 Thank KSFT2010
Potomac, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2010

I visited DWR with my wife and 5-year-old son. It was our first trip to a "dude ranch". It was wonderful. The ranch is not luxurious or lavish, but the natural scenery is beautiful and the family could not be more hospitable. The food was not gourmet, but it was filling and no one had any reason to complain. The staff was genuinely pleasant and eager to help, without being suffocating. The wranglers were expert and calmly handled every skill level. There were 100+ beautiful horses that had no trouble negotiating the mountain trails. There was one communal telephone (cell reception is very limited from the ranch), no television, and the nearest laundry was a drive away. Our cabin was small, but comfortable and perfectly adequate. We never felt rushed. We always felt welcomed. There is an excellent probability that we will be back.

1 Thank spoloz
Springfield, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

My wife and I vacationed at Drowsy Water in early August with our 5 1/2-year-old granddaughter. When on the third day of our visit we asked her how much she liked the ranch, she responded with the string of "reallys" in the above review title (after 50 or 60, she ran out of breath). We agree with her.

The setting is gorgeous, the facilities are comfortable and immaculate, the Fosha family and their staff are extraordinarily congenial and attentive, and the programs are great fun (and instructive, and flexible enough to meet the needs and wants of both a 5 1/2-year-old and a pair of 63-year-olds.).

This is simply a wonderful place. We absolutely will be going back.

Londonderry, NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had a great week at this ranch. A family and staff that made sure we all had a great and safe week. Their program was designed for us to be comfortable with our assigned horses before venturing out to the trail rides each day. We were a family aged from 8 to 71. Having been to another ranch in Wyoming many years ago and had a bad experience we were cautious. My wife and I spent a week here 10 years ago and were so confident of the riding program we invited our daughter and her 3 children to share the week. They all enjoyed the week and promised to return still remembering their horse's name. The nightly activities were lots of fun for all. The cabin we occuppied was great for all of us to share. Wood stove ready to light on those cool nights. The food was always family style and cooked like gramma's sunday dinner. Open seating so granma and grandpa didn't have to sit at the head of the table. The family and staff worked like a great big family each working cross jobs to insure the job was done. We hope to return there soon...

2 Thank JimBuckleyNH
Ashland, OR
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2010

It's not only my own family flying in from Germany or Oregon, it is also the Fosha family plus their staff and also the other guests forming a family of friends right after arrival. The Monday Western Dance is what brings all the guests, the Foshas, and the staff together in a wonderful atmosphere. It was our fourth stay at DWR and we are all looking forward convening there next year. I love the care, the miracle work behind the scene that makes me feel at home, I love "my horse, Gus", selected to fit my humble riding experience a 100 %, I love the Thursday mountain breakfast, the gorgeous view, I love the Wednesday carnival, I love the staff show, and I love being away from newspaper, TV, phone, my garden and house. It is as we say "letting my soul dangle freely". I can't ask for more. Thank you all at DWR for another wonderful week of my life.

Cedar Park, Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2010

Family owned, family operated, and family focused.

I recently took my 12yr old daughter to DWR for a little quality father/daughter time. We could not have chosen a better vacation spot. This is a hands-on dude ranch with the best staff, best activities, and best horses on the planet. The DWR owners are involved in every activity and are driven to ensure that every need of every guest is properly met. They have hired incredible wranglers, chefs, child-care, housekeeping, etc. that all blend together into a ranch culture that caters to families. During our stay, there were about 12 families on the ranch. By the end of the second day, everyone knew everyone and the kids were well on their way to building friendships that transcended their 1 week stay at DWR. If you are looking for a five-star hotel with five-star food, this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a five-star adventure at a five-star location and catered to by a five-star staff, this is the place for you. We will be back (with the rest of the family next time).

1 Thank mark78613
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
#2 of 3 in Fraser
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fraser - Winter Park Area
The Vintage Resort Hotel & Conference Center
Western Riviera Lakeside Lodging & Events

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!