“Awesome people Awesome ranch”
Review of Drowsy Water Ranch

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Granby
Drowsy Water Ranch
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Granby
Temple, Texas
“Awesome people Awesome ranch”
Reviewed 21 September 2010

We have been dude ranching since 1984 and have been to quite a few. There are many out there with lots of great people but I can tell you Drowsy Water has our heart. We've been to this ranch 6 times with and without kids. It's great either way.This family is hands on so they are very attentive to everyones needs.We've had many memeorable moments that will never be forgotten. It feels like home. If you want an all around good ranch experience go to Drowsy Water and let the Fosha's take care of you.
Temple, Texas

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
4 Thank kylarj

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 16 September 2010

My research and love of Colorado pointed me toward Drowsy Water Ranch. My 6 year old daughter who had not been a rider - became a confident and proficient one. The combination of the pristine, beautiful scenery and the professional, yet, personal managing of the ranch made for an unforgettable vacation - a vacation I plan on repeating next year.

Every ride, nighttime activity, meal, explanation was presented with enthusiasm. Every wrangler was patient, funny, well informed, and skilled. The staff - from housekeeping, to dining, to maintenance couldn't have been nicer.

Not to be missed.

• Stayed August 2010
Reviewed 10 September 2010

I went ,never having ridden a horse and was taught to ride and lope, climbing mountains and awesome views. Everyone was as nice and encouraging, helpful and friendly. the food was great also with their own cook - definitely gained weight! We met a variety of people from all over and made lasting friendships. They had activities every night, offered yoga and massages. Have a hot tub, pool, horseshoes and volleyball. But hardly enough time if you love riding the horses. There is much to do in the Granby area and you do not have to horse back ride. There are hiking trails, the Rocky Mountain State Park is close, people went zip lining and rafting.
We will definitely come back!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank bakereld
Erftstadt
Reviewed 5 September 2010

Well it's been our fourth time at DWR and we just love it: what shall I say? You learn to forget about your own life at home, you are perfectly taken care of with a great program for all ages, mostly of course you get to sit in a saddle for a few hours a day (if your legs can take it!) and you'll have great adventures in the mountains. This year we even experienced a thunderstorm and the horses didn't even care, they have heard thunder before....The Ranch itself is neat and rural, the food is great and the Fosha Family with staff take care of you in a very personal and friendly way. We'll be back!
A week at DWR is the best vacation you can get-after that week, you're ready for anything!
Achim

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank SharkyRider
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 2 September 2010

I'm not typically a review writer, but I couldn't find any reviews relating to children under three, and this would have been helpful to me.

My husband has been interested in a dude ranch vacation for some time, but we assumed we would have to wait until our youngest was at least five to have that sort of adventure. Our boys are currently 3 and 20 months. When I found Drowsy Water's website and saw that they have a program for infants on up, my interest was immediately piqued. I called the ranch and spoke to Randy Sue Fosha, one of the proprietors. She said that yes, they have a kids program specifically for children five and under. I was skeptical. I said, "You understand that one of our children is under two?" She said yes, she understood, that they have counselors who are hired specifically to look after the little ones, that they would have their own activities to keep them busy, and that my husband and I could even participate in the all-day raft trip that was offered if we liked. A staff member would feed the boys lunch and stay in our cabin while we napped.

At those words, I, a stay-at-home-mom who has been starving for a vacation that didn't involve either trying to appreciate the Smithsonian while napping my children in a stroller, or hovering anxiously around the side of a baby pool for hours on end ensuring that no one has drowned, immediately placed a deposit. But as the months leading up to our holiday crept by, I found myself growing doubtful. Because, really, resorts that will look after children in diapers are few and far between. I decided that even if I was granted an hour or two a day to do as I pleased, it would be worthwhile.

When our week at the ranch finally arrived, all my expectations were exceeded. The first evening we were there, an angel named Katie magically appeared and whisked our boys off to the playground so that my husband and I could listen to the welcome speech uninterrupted. When she returned them to us, she said, "Your ride tomorrow is at 9:15, so why don't you drop them off to me in the dining area at 9:00." And again, when we retrieved the kids before lunch, "I'll be at your cabin by 1:45 so that you can go on your 2:00 ride." This was how it went the entire week. Katie took the boys to gather eggs from the hen house and feed the bunny in the mornings, stayed in our cabin while they napped in the afternoons, and took them on the kids' hayride one evening while my husband and I enjoyed an adults-only dinner. I declined the all-day events because I preferred to spend some quality time with my kids at noon, but I have no doubt that they would have been well taken care of if I'd gone on an all-day ride or the raft trip.

The particulars of the ranch have been well documented in previous reviews. The food and accommodations were fine if not at all fancy, but the attention paid to guests by the Foshas and their wonderful staff was very, very fancy, indeed. We are looking forward to more summers spent at Drowsy Water and are so excited to have found a place for our family to build wonderful memories in the years to come.

10 Thank KSFT2010
Potomac, Maryland
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I visited DWR with my wife and 5-year-old son. It was our first trip to a "dude ranch". It was wonderful. The ranch is not luxurious or lavish, but the natural scenery is beautiful and the family could not be more hospitable. The food was not gourmet, but it was filling and no one had any reason to complain. The staff was genuinely pleasant and eager to help, without being suffocating. The wranglers were expert and calmly handled every skill level. There were 100+ beautiful horses that had no trouble negotiating the mountain trails. There was one communal telephone (cell reception is very limited from the ranch), no television, and the nearest laundry was a drive away. Our cabin was small, but comfortable and perfectly adequate. We never felt rushed. We always felt welcomed. There is an excellent probability that we will be back.

1 Thank spoloz
Springfield, Ohio
Reviewed 30 August 2010

My wife and I vacationed at Drowsy Water in early August with our 5 1/2-year-old granddaughter. When on the third day of our visit we asked her how much she liked the ranch, she responded with the string of "reallys" in the above review title (after 50 or 60, she ran out of breath). We agree with her.

The setting is gorgeous, the facilities are comfortable and immaculate, the Fosha family and their staff are extraordinarily congenial and attentive, and the programs are great fun (and instructive, and flexible enough to meet the needs and wants of both a 5 1/2-year-old and a pair of 63-year-olds.).

This is simply a wonderful place. We absolutely will be going back.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Granby
Gateway Inn
Wild Horse Inn
Wild Horse Inn
#2 of 3 in Fraser
Western Riviera Lakeside Lodging & Events

Been to Drowsy Water Ranch? Share your experiences!