“Interactive, family friendly museum”
Review of Museum of the West

Museum of the West
More attraction details
Owner description: A science museum offering archeological digs.
West Valley City, Utah
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Interactive, family friendly museum”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I was skeptical when I first read about this place, it seemed a little bit stuffy, but our family visited this museum while we vacationed in Mesa, Colorado and we really enjoyed it. We have six children age 4 - 14 and there was something here for each of them. There were interesting things to see and read and unique history to explore (as well as an extensive display of guns which fascinated my older boys) but there were also a lot of things to touch and climb on which kept my younger kids engaged as well. We especially loved the old west carriage we could all climb into (and then push a button to activate sounds and make it seem like we were really taking a ride), the ride in airplane which instructed its driver to push buttons and switches in a certain order to start the plane, and an old fashioned computer which we used to help solve a controversial Colorado murder mystery (that's the fun of the display). There is a mine to walk through, an old school room to draw on chalk board or personal slate boards, an antique telephone booth where you can listen to operators and lots more. There is also a tower you can head to the top of (stairs or elevator) and get a great view of the whole valley. It was a fun museum.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Melissa D

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Fabulous”
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We loved it so much we got married here ! The staff was super nice. They are always changing the displays so it is always a great place to visit.

Visited February 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Nice museum but a bit too pricey for my family. Good hands on displays...the airplane was especially cool.

Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
715 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 935 helpful votes
“Of limited interest”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

It could be much better

Being a history enthusiast, I have to visit this museum, I never skip historical places. Located at a busy downtown intersection, this one is a little bit of disappointment. I’ve seen much bigger and better Historical museums in this part of the world located in much smaller towns (Ouray, Gunnison and Silverton come to mind right away).

It’s a hodge-podge of historical artifacts, photos, memorabilia, Indian stuff, art, etc, in a difficult to follow organization which, at least to me, does not make sense. The Docents were really not interested and I found them lacking knowledge. The $8.50 admission, while modest, is still not worth it. I think they are more interested in selling the place as venue for events than as making it an interesting history museum.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Oliver S
Montrose, Colorado, United States
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“History Buff”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Very interesting exhibits, well displayed. Great history of the Spanish in the GJ area, a new exhibit. Enjoyed my 82yr old friend getting into the stage coach and even up the tower. There were children there listening to a guide, a bit noisey, but nice to see them interested in history. I bought some stuffed critters in the gift shop. Well worth the stop.

Visited November 2013