“Nice hotel but housekeeping oversight left a bad impression.”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here while visiting my family. Although the Springhill Suites offered to lower their price for us to stay, we still found this Holiday Inn had the lowest price. We really wanted a room to ourselves after a long couple of weeks of traveling with my parents. The hotel was modern in design and the room was a welcome sight after driving from Denver.

The disappointment in the hotel came when we opened the closet door and found a pair of black underwear in the corner of the floor.

I already unpacked and was ready to crawl into bed so changing rooms wasn't my idea of a good time. I am an avid traveler that checks rooms for signs of cutting corners and signs of bedbugs. It was disappointing to see this oversight by the housekeeping staff. I called the front desk and when I told the staff person what we found she specifically asked me "what do you want us to do about it." No apology and suggestion of either taking care of the issue by sending someone up or switching rooms. She left this to me as a customer to tell her what to do. That is just frustrating - as a customer give me my options and apologize on behalf of the staff.

We resolved the issue and the rest of our stay was uneventful. Regardless this one oversight did leaving my questioning the hotels cleaning staff and overall customer service. If I stay here again I will pay the extra money to stay at another location.

I did appreciate the coffee in the lobby area. It came with a travel lid.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
gjhiexpressmanager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for your review. I want to apologize for the incident. It is a very disappointing thing to hear, especially as the vast majoring of our reviews typically tend to comment on our great cleanliness. With that said, no one should ever have to walk into a room and find evidence of a previous guest. No matter if something is left in a dark corner of a closet or right out in the open. And for that I apologize.

I have looked up our housekeeping records, and compared them to our front desk log book. So I am aware of the room you were in. For the comfort of knowing this doesn't go unnoticed, I have had a sit down meeting with the person that cleaned that room prior to your stay and we revisited the importance of cleanliness. It just is not acceptable to me, that our guests go through that experience.

I am delighted that everything else with your stay was pleasant. When you find yourself coming back to Grand Junction, please feel free to contact me personally and I will be sure to not only double check your room, but to make sure you are taken care of.

Thank you for your stay and for choosing our hotel.

Roy Blake

Reviewed 26 May 2013

This seems to be a newer HI Express. When we got to our room, we noticed it was right by the vending/laundry and stairs, which usually is too noisy for us. When we tried to change rooms, the girl at the desk said all the double queen rooms in the hotel were located either by the laundry, vending or elevators, i.e. noisy locations. REALLY? I think that is odd and hope all the new HI are not doing this! Well, as it turned out we didn't hear much, thankfully. Breakfast was good, although slow to refill as items ran out. Our view from our room looked right into the salvage yard next door. Yuck. Well, guess they don't advertise great views. Only a couple blocks to shopping/restaurants. New, clean hotel. Would stay again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. As pleased as I am that your impression was a new hotel, I have to admit, we are 11 years old! What you experienced was our recent remodel of the entire interior of the hotel. We remodeled everything in the hotel.

As for the view....I really wish we could control who are neighbors are. But in choosing to place the hotel in the most convenient and desired location of Grand Junction, we had to accept that our neighbors might not be everything we want. In your view from the room did you notice the Colorado national Monument? Stunning view right? The entire Grand Junction Valley is surrounded by beautiful mountains. So while you might have the salvage yard "down below" your room, just take a glance up and you can enjoy the view of Monuments, Mesas and the beautiful city of Grand Junction.

Thank you also for pointing out the quiet room in comparison to the location. We are happy that our guests just don't hear the noise of laundry, vending or traffic.

When you find yourself coming back to Grand Junction, let me know. I will be sure to fulfill your desire of a quiet, clean and comfortable room. Only this time, we will move you to a different area of the hotel and let you enjoy a different view.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

Stopped over in Grand Junction on trip to Las Vegas. This is an exceptional facility from the cleanliness to the staff. Stay at a number of Holidy Inns/Express regulary; this is one of the tops in my books. Will stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your review. We do take great pride in being as detailed as possible when we clean the hotel. I am happy that you not only noticed our hard work but took the time to tell others. It is easy to expect a clean room, but it is very satisfying that we were able to impress you enough to write about your experience.

As a frequent traveler to Holiday Inn Express' you are one that knows what to expect. So we take great honor knowing that we exceeded your expectations.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 May 2013 via mobile

Enroute to Golden, Colorado from California. Stayed over one night to visit daughter's college friends. Great location - room wonderful. Easy access from freeway. Close to restaurants, Starbucks and gas stations. Will stay here again. Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you kindly for your review. A lot of guests really enjoy the Starbucks that is so close by. Literally a walk across the street. We all enjoy how close we are to so many dining choices as well.

I hope that your next visit you will again choose to stay with us. If you are just passing through or you are choosing to visit your daughters college friends again. We always enjoy seeing a friendly face time and time again.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

This is not a luxury spot, but it sure beats the heck out of a lot of supposed 3-star hotels. The room was very clean, with great pillows, a fridge, free wi-fi, and very good shower. The free breakfast buffet was surprisingly good, and the employees were all exceptionally friendly. What more could you ask?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for the response. I am happy that you enjoyed the "surprisingly good" breakfast. We work really hard to try to stand out and really impress our guests. I am happy that we did just that for you.

We appreciate you taking the time to let others know about your experience and hope we get to see you again

Reviewed 9 April 2013

Since we have relatives in the area, we have stayed here a couple of times. The rooms are nice, clean and spacious. The breakfasts are what to be expected at a moderate hotel, except they really need to arrange it better. They need a "shelf" of some short to put the trays or plates on as you gather your food. It's just not "user friendly" Also, the food display seems to be a bit disorganized. The hot water is not even near the instant oatmeal disply, the coffee is clear across the room, the items are not labeled, the hot dishes are hard to access as they have lids that require you to hold on to them while spooning your food while holding your plate. Don't know about you, but most people I know only have two hands. Perhaps they have a third hand that they would rent out to people while they get their food?

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
gjhiexpressmanager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2013

Thank you for the review. I want to start by thanking your for continuing to use us for your hotel needs when you visit your family.

In review of our Breakfast layout, we have it set in a manner to provide the most diverse items possible. The coffee bar is located away from the food to help ease the efficiency of guests gathering what they desire. Be it just coffee or a complete meal from our 4 hot items and over 30 total food selections. I do side with you that a 3rd hand would be a great asset, but please know that we have the covers on the hot food for your protection. We didn't win the Mesa County Blue Ribbon Award (no health code violations) from not caring. These lids are 100% for your safety. While the extra hand would be nice, you can be positive that the food you have selected to consume will not have germs or any concerns what so ever.

I hope that we were able to deliver all that you expected and that you will choose us when you return to Grand Junction. If you find that you ever need to speak to me, for comments or a suggestion, please feel free to call me at the hotel at 970-245-8164 at extension 500.

Again thank you for the review.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

The hotel is located about 1 mile off I-70, adjacent to the mall and shopping areas with great access. The staff is friendly, the rooms are quiet, updated and very comfortable. The complimentary breakfast bar is a good start for your day.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your review. I think not enough people understand the importance of knowing how other people's experiences have been. We pride ourselves on our guest's experiences and believe that we are only happy when you are.

Everyone in our hotel knows that without you we wouldn't be in a position to offer the next guest the same awesome experience. I am so happy that we delivered all that you expected.

If you are to find yourself back in Grand Junction we would be so pleased to offer you yet another awesome experience.