Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction
Ranked #11 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Broomfield, CO
“Flawed Stay”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Our stay did not start well when all entrances were locked when we tried to check-in at 4pm, and after circling the hotel once we called the front desk to ask to be let in. Our king suite room was OK on the surface, but the bed sheets were worn, mattress pad was lumpy, couple of bugs sharing the room with us, the bathroom fixtures were not really clean, and there was a gap at the bottom of the hall door so light/noise evident. Then there were the other noises in the room - nearby train at 10pm, late upstairs heavy-footed guests, noisy pipes behind bathroom mirror, and nearby work trucks at 4:30am. One bright spot was the breakfast and breakfast area - very good as always, but still had the cheap/flimsy plastic ware as noted in a previous review. All this for a $131 room rate, which is on the expensive side for a HI Express.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmptj
gjhiexpressmanager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for the review. You have listed some things that are concerning to me. Our linen and mattress pads are all brand new, so for you to comment on them being worn is something we are already looking into. I apologize for that.

In response to the breakfast utensils being flimsy, this was a manufactures defect and it has not only been taken care of but you might be happy to know that we have made the decision to upgrade all utensils. So quality will no longer be an issue.

I hope that we have the luxury to see you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Highland, Utah
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We love Holiday Inn Express hotels. They always have a clean room, good breakfast, and most important, comfortable beds. The staffs are always efficient and courteous. Grand Junction is all of these as well. But, one flaw, the utensils at breakfast were so cheap and inferior that we could not cut a pancake with either the knife or the fork without it breaking or bending. I understand that they will try to save money wherever they can, but really!! We had a great experience there, and will still go to Holiday Inn Express in our travels, but what we REMEMBER about Grand Junction is the cheap utensils. Furthermore, Grand Junction was $30 more that any other Holiday Inn Express we stayed in on this trip. For $30, can't they give me a decent knife and fork!! Petty, I know, but even more petty on their part.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank UtahNomad
I appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. I hope that you will be happy to know that our utensils have been upgraded. They have not been an issue in the past but when our guests find reason to tell me about a flaw, we will address it.

Our first shipment will be in very soon and from that moment forward, we will have a more sturdy utensil for all of our guests.

I appreciate your feedback, as it sometimes takes our guests input to help us deliver the absolute that we can for you.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 September 2013

We reserved, on-line, a King Suite, non-smoking. Upon arrival, we were given a choice of a Queen room, or an "accessible" King room. The room had recently had a smoker in it, as the foul odor was apparent immediately upon entry. No-go for that room! The front desk person told us that, although it's a "non-smoking" hotel, people routinely smoke in the rooms, and that they are charged $500.00 for their transgression. She said people rarely protest. It seems obvious to me that the hotel is not spending that largesse on sanitizing the extremely offensive rooms. Tried another, of the same type, and it was smoke-free. However, lest you seem inclined to stay here, the handicap rooms are totally inadequate for fully-abled persons. No shelves in bathroom for toiletry bags, etc. The ice machines are located ONLY on the 2nd and 3rd floors, and in VERY inconvenient locations. Additionally, the front desk person was not overly concerned about my expectations, despite my having driven 9 hours to get here, and being a long-time Platinum Priory Club member. Very, very disappointing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank wolverine87144
gjhiexpressmanager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
I am very sorry about your experience. While we cannot control what guests do in the rooms (smoke) we can only contain the room and do our best to get it back to normal. Sometimes people are not considerate of the policies we put in place, for that we do have a cleaning fee. While it is not the $500 that you mention, we do need to recoup the loss. When a guest room is smoked in, we have to shut it down for at least 24 hours and sanitize it the best that we can.

I hope that you are able to give us another chance. Your 5 star review you left us in April 2012 referred to us as your new favorite hotel. Stating:

"The location is superb, the front lobby is immaculate and stylish, and the staff is fantastic. The room was spacious and current and the bed and pillows made it a snap to drift off into a luxurious dream. You MUST give this hotel a try!"

I hope that your one bad experience does not hinder the 5 star experience you also experience.

While we never like to hear that a guest had a bad experience, we do always appreciate our guests opinions and experiences. It only helps us be better at what we do. Thank you for your review.
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

Checkin was fast, the room was spacious and clean. The swimming pool and jacuzzi were fine. Breakfast was very good. We stayed here for 2 nights and the second day the toilet didn't flush anymore. We reported this to the front desk when we went out for Dinner and the employee (Ben) said he'll take care of that. When we came back one hour later the problem was fixed, we were very happy with that quick service!

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
I am so happy to hear that our excellent team delivered the service you expected and deserve. Our team has always been able to be reliable and take care of our guests needs in a timely fashion.

Thank you for letting us know of your experience. I will personally let Ben know of your kind words.
Aspen
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A very nice place to stay the front desk staff were very helpful and always smiling even Tom the maintenance man was happy. Very clean decent breakfast. But the nicest surprise was the hot cookies I found after my swim. I would recommend this place any day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Nebraska City NE
Reviewed 6 August 2013

The hotel was reasonably priced, nice rooms and a decent breakfast. This was overshadowed by an incident involving the hot tub. The timer for the tub does not seem to work and it constantly runs. I normally look in a hot tub before I turn it on and enter it. I got in it after a long day in the car. After soaking and relaxing for several minutes I saw something float by which I cupped in my hand. It was immediately apparent that someone had previously defecated in the hot tub. The hotel staff was informed and maintenance did shut down access to the hot tub. Disgusting and I wish the hotel had at least offered to comp my room for the night.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Junction, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Greg K,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. It is unfortunate the incident in the hot tub prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We assure you this is an isolated incident and wish you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My seventy-nine year old mother and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites in Grand Junction, Colorado for the night of Friday, June 7th, 2013. When making our reservations online, we requested a room on the top floor, away from any noise, and that is what we were given. I was recognized as a Priority Club member, but not as a Platinum member, and received two free bottles of water, a small bag of yummy trail mix, and a brownie.

The medium-sized non-smoking room included two queen-sized beds, each with four pillows on them, a clock radio, a desk with an office chair, a comfy chair with ottoman, a large HD television with remote that had a decent channel selection, free Wi-Fi and wired connections, a mini-fridge, a microwave, and a coffeemaker.

The small bathroom included three sets of towels, a hairdryer, bottles of shampoo, conditioner, bath gel, and hand lotion, as well as two bars of soap. The shower had a handle, but it was in a location that made it difficult for my mother (and myself) to use, as we like to have the handle on the side so we can steady ourselves.

The hotel has many amenities, including a heated indoor pool and a fitness center, as well as a free breakfast bar. There are many restaurants and shops nearby, including the Mesa Mall, which is the area's largest shopping center.

I cashed in my Priority Club Rewards points and received Room 424 for free. Overall, the room was extremely clean and very comfortable and we would definitely stay here again. When my mother and I go on holidays, we like to stay at hotels that make us feel like we are at home, and our room certainly did just that. A side note, I had thought I left one of my luggage bags at the Holiday Inn we stayed at the previous night. The lady at the front desk was willing to call that hotel to see if it was there, but then realized that someone had turned it in, as I must have accidentally left it in the parking lot. What a relief!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family