“Good food, but get there early!”

Tepanyaki Japanese SteakHouse
Ranked #58 of 284 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Considering that it is on airport hotel row in a small town, this place is a gem. We were lucky enough to arrive early and get immediate seating - by the time we left (around 7) the line to get in was impressive. Food was good, especially the filet mignon, and the house Pinot grigio was decent. The Anglo chef put on a pretty good show. If you are overnighting in a nearby hotel, you should try it out unless you have Applebee tastes. $71 plus tip got us an appetizer to share, two combo dinners, two glasses of wine.

1  Thank UCLA72

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I went here for my birthday last night and had such a BAD expirence!! The waitress was so rude and not helpful. My friend and I and our two little girls have never been there before. She brought our kid giant glass cups. We asked her for kids cups and she never brought them out. We asked if we could order the kids food first after the third time she came up to the table asking if we were ready. She said no the whole table had to order at once. There were other sitting with us and I didn't know this. Would have been nice to know up front. Finally the waitress seemed so annoyed with us she sent a nice guy over to help us with the menu. He told us one portion would be enough to split between my friend and I and that splitting one serving of noodles for the girls would be more than enough. He pointed out the kid across the way had noodles and one serving filled his whole giant plate. So we ordered and another girl we had to ask for plastic kids cups brought them out. The show the chef did was fun and the kids did like it. The huge portion turned into a tiny portion by enough for one person at all! I got 2 scallops and 4 pieces of shrimp and a spoonful of veggies. The girls got on spoonful of noodles which they ate up and were still hungry. The same rude waitress stopped by to refill our waters we asked if we could order more food because the kids were getting restless an saying they were still hungry. She looks at us and said " I don't know if have to ask the chefs". My friend asked her what time thy closed and she's goes "10pm"... Mind you it's 730 while we are asking her. So I ask so we can't order more food? And again she stares and says " I don't know do you just want your check.".... Really?!?? I'm a paying customer who was misinformed on how one portion was enough and want to order more and you don't know?! So I took the check and left them no tip! I am still so mad about this today I feel like I need to post this. I am so disappointed with this place!!! Make sure you get enough food otherwise you can't have any more....so we went to Applebee's to get more food!

Reviewed 9 March 2014

The food was good, overpriced, but good. Our chef was friendly. The atmosphere was horrible. We were listening to 93.3, commercials and all.

The waitress was hoping that we wouldn't notice how much she hated her job, but unfortunately it was obvious. She really did try to ruin the evening for us, especially when we told her we were celebrating my birthday: 0 f***s given. We just handed the tip to the chef...

Probably not gonna go back.

2  Thank Jason L
Reviewed 2 March 2014

While the sushi was exceptional, and the table show appeared to be a draw, the young girl bartender was grossly unprofessional, opening a floor level bar fridge door, stepping inside the fridge using it as a ladder to climb up and retrieve liquor from the shelves above, laying across the bar attending noticeably drunken patrons, continuing to serve them, and yelling from across the bar to me to "go ahead and yell your order to me, I can hear you from over here!" Her demeanor continued with spats between herself and the male host, and to top it off, as a couple young male patrons were leaving, she ran up to one, handing him a note and stating, "Here, this is from that girl waitress. (her phone number) Are you single? We're going out to (insert bar name here) after work. See you there!" It reminded me of 3rd grade all over again.
While we were sitting at the sushi bar, Adrian prepared great sushi and was very attentive, leaving us with minimal interaction with the female bartender. This was a plus!
On another note, this place is prompt to close at 10pm.
While I wouldn't want to discourage dining here, the sushi was excellent and fairly priced.
They could use some professionally behaved wait staff.

2  Thank GeneMCO
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

What a great place! Excellent food and wide variety of sushi! I am not a raw fish & seaweed sushi fan, so I was thrilled to have so many different options... it was difficult to chose from the variety on their Sushi menu! The 2 we tried were EXCELLENT! The Tepanyaki chefs are a thrill to watch, talented and engaging. Great menu choices. The filet was the best, most tender, melt in your mouth filet I have ever had and I raise my own beef!!!! Family friendly! Great date place! Our waitress, Tia, was sweet as can be, and the rest of the staff we spoke to were very personable; as well. Great flaming cocktails, too! Can't wait to go back....

1  Thank 180JanetS