“Not what it used to be”
Review of Los Reyes

Los Reyes
Ranked #200 of 282 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 27 November 2013

This used to be the place to go for authentic Mexican food in the evening, but it has gone down hill. Even the atmosphere has become run-down.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have been going to Los Reyes since the 1970's, and used to go out of my way to eat there, but I will not go there anymore. It used to be a great place to eat. It was always seemed to be on a low budget keeping the overhead down, but it still managed to somehow have its own charm in decor. It used to have the most authenic Mexican food in town (I know whereof I speak because I have lived several years in Mexico -- Los Reyes served authenic food typical of North-West Mexico). Their food was great and their service was prompt & friendlly. The prices were, and still are quite reasonable.
Now it has lost its special charm and is just run-down. The food is no longer great. The service is now slower than it should be. This last time I went, the refried beans was in the shape of the can, like they had shaken it out of the can and cut it off halfway, and barely warm. Some of the other food was of poor quality & taste.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

So my wife and I went in to try this restaurant. Looked like a 1970’s café. Formica tables, old carpet, no real atmosphere. We walked in and got seated fine. Our waitress was super busy but nice. Literally there were 3 tables with about 12 people total in the place. She took longer than it should for her to come see what we wanted. She asked, "Do you want chips and salsa?" So I asked if there was a charge. She said it was $2.99. So we ordered them. Not used to paying for chips and salsa at a low end restaurant, but why not. We ordered waters. After about 5 minutes (keep in mind there is only one other 2 person table she has, as the third table was being served by a cranky different waitress) she brings out the chips and salsa. I kid you not, they were the round, stale tasting chips you buy at Sam's Club. The salsa was OK. We tried like 3 chips and decided not to order anything off the menu. The prices were not expensive, but certainly were not a bargain either. So we told the waitress that we were not happy about paying for Sam's Chips and just either wanted the check or just forget the whole thing. She went back to the back to ask what to do. She came back out and asked "Did you touch any of the food?” She couldn’t tell because we literally had 2-3 chips each. We said yes. She said she was told to charge. Gave her the $4 bucks and we left. Thought I would share.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Think that the folks who are giving bad reviews are not used to Mexican food that is "real Mexican", not the cookie-cutter stuff in most of the chain places. They have green chile sauce that is creamy, stuffed sopapillas, vuelos (like indian fry bread) topped with beans, chicken, avocado, etc, really, really hot stewed pinto beans. This is our "go-to" restaurant when we are tired and want to have a comfortable atmosphere where the waitstaff know us and what we want already. There is a reason it has been in business for over 30 years.

3  Thank wintertraveler22
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I have been going here all my life and thrall ways bring there best I am very satisfied every time I go