“Quite possibly the best Mexican food in GJ”
Review of El Tapatio

El Tapatio
Ranked #44 of 288 Restaurants in Grand Junction
Reviewed 19 December 2013

As I've hardly eaten in a fraction of Junction Mexican restaurants I can't call it the best...however it wouldn't surprise me if it was...as this is some of the best Mexican food I've had. Outside of a few top-dollar Washington, DC 4 or 5 star Mexican joints...this place is superb...and for the price...excellent. Really friendly attentive service as well.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am glad that I violated my usual rule of never asking for restaurant recommendations from hotel staff. Visiting GJ the other night I broke down and asked the front desk clerk and the concierge where I could find a “local style” Mexican restaurant. Both recommended El Tapatio, and despite a relatively low rating here, we decided to try. Boy, are we glad we did. I loved the quirky interior and the staff was gracious and quick to serve, all throughout the meal. The menu is huge and it took us a long time to decide. You have to see it to believe it. I literally could not decide among 10 or 15 really interesting dishes. We had two jumbo Margaritas and a Guacamole appetizer while we studied the menu. The guac was super fresh and flavorful, with an interesting mix of ingredients. It was enough for 6 people and we actually left a little when we left there was so much of it.

Wife had the Pork Carnitas, which she said was among the best she has ever had. I chose the Mariscadas ala Diabla; crab legs, scallops, shrimp, octopus and tilapia cooked in a spicy red sauce. It was truly outstanding and not too spicy for me. Both our meals were huge and since we were traveling, had to leave without to-go boxes. We both thought that the beans and rice were the best we have even had, particularly the rice. There was no room for dessert unfortunately. I fail to understand why El Tapatio doesn’t rate higher in the Grand Junction listings. If we didn’t live so darn far, we would definitely go back, this time with a cooler for the leftovers.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We love hole in the wall Mexican spots but this one doesn't feel too clean and the food is honestly below average. My husband got sick afterwards and we have never been back.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Very good food, friendly, clean. Excellent salsa. Menu changes sometimes, but the carne asada tacos haven't, the best in town. I often eat eggs and chorizo at the Fruita location after a ride on 18 Rd or Kokopelli trails. Cool, endless drinks, and good protein after the ride.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

We were traveling through the city on a long road trip and stopped here for our evening meal. It was a bit of a drive off the freeway we were on.

The inside was comfortable and attractive. Their prices were higher than I expected and I had noticed on the way to our table that the portion sizes were very large. We were served tortillas and salsa when we sat down. The salsa was spicier than some restaurants. My friend and I split a grilled veggie burrito. The vegetables were a little oily but it was very tasty. It came with very nice fried rice and a dish of pinto beans. My friend ordered one taco as a side and we split the burrito. As a result the portion worked out for us.

It was a good experience in general but I would look for another place if there was a next time. It was too far off the freeway, too expensive and portions too large.

Been to El Tapatio? Share your experiences!