“Average”

Courtyard Grand Junction
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Grand Junction
Reviewed 25 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night for our anniversary, as a quick way to get out of town and enjoy a bigger city for the night (we live in a small town about 1.5 hours away). We walked into the hotel around 4:45, to a majorly chaotic scene of one front desk employee, an incessantly ringing phone, walkie talkies buzzing and a line. Obviously, this was not the front desk employees fault, he was doing the best he could, but for a Saturday night around 5pm, you'd think they'd have better staffing. So no big deal, we wait in line, only to be told that our room might not be ready because they were sold out the night before. We were asked if it would be okay if it wasn't ready? We had dinner reservations and plans for the evening, so really it wasn't okay, but I told him if it wasn't ready, then it wasn't ready. Not much he could do. We waited for about 10 minutes, then were given keys to our room, which was comfortable and priced fairly. We enjoyed our evening and the room.

The next morning, I called down to the front desk to see what time check out was - 12pm - which was great because we wanted to enjoy some breakfast. We left around 9am and walked by a few housekeepers in the hallway, with the full intention of returning to the room after breakfast and enjoying a quick swim in the pool and then shower before our drive. When we returned after breakfast at about 10:15am, we walked back into our room to find it was completely cleaned and ready for the next guest. Now, staying for just one night, we didn't have much, just a large over the shoulder bag that we carried to our car before breakfast. But we did not check out, and we left the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. We were both so irritated that our check out had been assumed, and a little startled that we could have walked in on another guest that checked in, that we decided just to be on our way. I went down to the desk to check out, stood there for almost 10 minutes waiting for someone, then finally gave up and left the keys on the desk - actually checking out even though it seemed like this already happened.

It all just left a sour taste in our mouths. We arrived well after check in time and still had to wait, and then we were checked out of our room early because we left for breakfast. It's all pretty obvious this hotel has some severe staffing issues, and maybe needs to rethink their check in and check out times to insure their guests enjoy their stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mel M
sharahrussell, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Junction, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for your review!

I saw your notes about housekeeping cleaning your room before you were ready to leave and normally they would never do that unless it appeared that the room was vacant, especially if there was a DND on the door. I will be sure to check on that and retrain the staff on our procedures. Thank you for bringing that to our attention! We are also very sorry if it came across that we have staffing issues. We try very hard to schedule associates and managers during what we think would be the busiest times during the day/week but it definitely isn't perfect 100% of the time. So sorry for the inconvenience and the wait times on check-in and check-out.

We sure hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.

Happy Anniversary!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We have a daughter at CMU so have stayed at a few places in GC. The Residence Inn, is next door and we have stayed there several times and prefer it, but they were sold out. Room rates are a little less at the Residence Inn and you get a nice hot breakfast included. We like the studio with small living area and kitchen. The room at the Courtyard was small, there was a chip in the sink and the sink stopper did not work.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cindy M

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay and thank you for staying with us!

I agree the Residence Inn is a great hotel! Typically their rates are slightly higher than ours due to the extra amenities but it sounds like you found a deal so that's great!

I am very sorry to hear about the sink stopper not working I let my maintenance staff know about that and the chip in the sink as well.

We sure hope to see you again soon either here or at the Residence Inn!

Have a great day!

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Great stop as it's easy drive to Vegas then SoCal
Hotel was clean and good value as senior and Elite member
Staff told me to try local pub which I found very reasonable and great food
Will definitely suggest to friends who travel by car versus air travel

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
sharahrussell, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Junction, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and for the review!

So glad you enjoyed our hotel, we hope to see you again during your travels through our area!

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Very nice hotel. Very clean and the service is top notch. The view from the courtyard is a little bleak but you can't expect much for being in Grand Junction. The thing that really stood out to me was that they had a day pass to a local gym, within walking distance. It was nice to be able to go to a full gym with all the equipment because this hotel had worked out an arrangement with them. That made it all worth it. Definitely worth staying at all things considerered.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback!

We love hearing what you thought of us and we are very happy that you enjoyed our service and our hotel.

We appreciate your business very much and look forward to hosting you again!

Reviewed 22 August 2014

My review is not based on this being a bad hotel, it is based more on the lack of comfort compared to cost. There are plenty of hotels to pick from in the area that are just as good for 30 - 50% less. The room is a strange setup. The TV is not only smaller than you would expect but is not visible from the bed either. In addition there are controls that greatly limit the volume. The room is extra small and there is a window but no view of anything. It is quiet and soundproof (unlike the Doubletree) and has a comfortable bed.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Alwaysamused
sharahrussell, General Manager at Courtyard Grand Junction, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Good evening! Thank you for the honest review.

It is our job to give you the extra value in service to make it worth paying the extra to stay with us. It is our goal to make sure every guest has the best possible stay that they can and that is what we will continue to work for. Your review shows me that we still have work to do and we know there is always room for improvement so we will continue down that path.

We sure hope to host you again. Have a wonderful evening!

Reviewed 21 August 2014

As both Hilton & Marriott gold rewards holders, we can easily compare the services provided by comparable hotels from both properties. Management at this hotel compared the Courtyard chain of Marriott to the Hilton Garden Inn chain. At all the Hilton Garden Inn chains we have stayed at we have been provided a free breakfast. Marriott Courtyard Inns do not! Don't bother talking to the manager at this hotel because all he wants to do is argue with you instead of treating you as valued guest which we guess we were not as Gold Elite members. The rooms and hotel are nice, but either a long walk or a drive to get to restaurants. After our stay at this property, we changed all of our future reservations at Marriott properties to Hilton properties while on a seven week road trip. We would not recommend staying at this property unless you don't care how you are treated by management. Remember, management style trickles down to staff members.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jeg3894

Thank you so much for staying with us and for your feedback I really appreciate you taking the time. I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your time with us. I am not sure who you spoke with but I am more than happy to aplogize on his behalf. I understand the frustration with breakfast as there are many hotels out there that have breakfast included and unfortunately Courtyard is not one of those. We do truly value our rewards members which is why we always offer Rewards Members 20% off of any evening food options in our Bistro. I sure hope that if you are in our area again you will try us once more. I would love to meet you.

Have a wonderful evening!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This was the third time we stayed here. It's convenient to I70 and not too far from nice downtown dining. This is a large Courtyard. The rooms were nice. Windows do not open. They have screens but are bolted shut. This hotel has the Bistro restaurant for dining.

This started out as a typical Marriott checkin. Easy checkin process at the front desk. Room was clean.

We had a problem with the bed and the front desk clerk quickly moved us to an adjoining room. I wanted to speak to the manager about the problem but she had gone home for the day. The next morning I was told she was helping in the Bistro and was too busy to talk with me. I got her email address but she did not answer over the course of nine days. I finally sent a note to the general manager who promptly apologized and resolved the issue. She had been on vacation.

We most likely will stay here again if we are on a road trip. If we are visiting the area, we found a very nice family owned motel as an alternate.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bensus

Thank you again so much for staying with us and so sorry about the issue with the bed!! I am thankful for the feedback and the time you took to provide it to me.

I am so glad our associate was able to get you taken care of quickly.

We look forward to the opportunity to host you again in the future!