“Acceptable”

Americas Best Value Inn Bighorn Lodge
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Grand Lake
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I spent just one night here, Sept. 1, 2013, Labor Day weekend. I found the room to be clean and quiet. There was a room frig and a microwave and, of course, a hair dryer along with basic amenities for the bathroom. I found both queen beds to be extremely hard, kind of reminded me of a massage table. I had booked it over the phone through Expedia and I was a bit bothered when I drove up and saw it was on the main road coming into town, therefore traffic would be heavy in the morning going out of town. But, I was the early bird out of the room so traffic noise was not a problem for me overnight or in the morning. Now, I disagree with their office hours of 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. That is because they keep the ice machine in the office and when I went to the door at 7:45 to get ice, they weren't opened yet. But, the owner did open for me and he said the coffee wasn't quite ready. The breakfast consisted of coffee and sweet rolls. If I go again to Grand Lake, I would try to get a room right on the lake if the price isn't much more. This was $120 including taxes.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Take a good location, right next to the downtown, with an easy walk add a clean room and reasonable cost there you have it.
Parking is a little cramped and breakfast is, wait, not sure they offered that but there are numerous options within striking distant. Depend on your taste for either or and be satisfied.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank augustleroy
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Although I haven't stayed in a Motel 6 in awhile, this hotel is nothing more than a Motel 6. If it were anywhere other than Grand Lake, my Queen room would go for $45.00. I paid $115.00.

First the positives. The A/C is excellent. You can get the temp exactly where you want. There is a separate heating system. The bathroom is large with a door that closes. The bed is very good. Very clean. Frige and micro. Ceiling fan. A view of the mountains.

'Now the negatives. No coffee maker in the room. I like a larger tv. Especially at $115.00/night. Breakfast doesn't start until 8:00. I didn't try it because I was already heading to the trail. The ice machine is in the office. The office closes at 9:00. So if you want ice after 9:00, you're out of luck. The wi fi is bad. Very slow and I have to keep turning my lap top to get a signal.

This is just a very very basic hotel. Probably would not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank roy p
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The room was clean, everything worked, and we had no problems at all. Very close to the downtown area, within walking distance of the stores and the lake. We stayed one night, Thursday, July 25, 2013. Would we stay here again? The answer is yes.

Reviewed 24 July 2013

We stayed here for one night 20-21 July 2013 as it was the only available room that allowed a small service dog. Grand Lake was very busy that weekend with a parade and many other community activities. The room was decent, but quite pricey ($175 incl tax). The parking lot was quite small, but adequate, and the breakfast was OK for free but nothing to brag about. It is about 3 blocks from downtown, so not too far to walk (in summer).

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Almost did not stay here due to other reviews. I am very glad I stayed the 4 days. Had no problems at all. Bed was fine and had no problems with the front desk. This on one of few palces in grand lake that has air conditioning. I would also recommend room 30 the the view It is on the second floor and has a view of the board walk. With a great flow of air into the room.

Room Tip: Choose room 30 for a window with a view. and air flow at night.
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We wanted a guaranteed place to stay and Grand Lake looked like a nice town. The hotel was dated, but seemed clean. They had limited hot tub hours so by the time we checked in, the hot tub was closed. The coffee was nice in the morning, but the store bought/packaged pastries was OK. Bottom line it seemed like a lot of money for what we received. The web site reservation advertised a 15% discount which was never offered or received. If in the area again, I would spend the money on a bed and breakfast.

Room Tip: Better breakfast or less cost for the room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Western Riviera Lakeside Lodging & Events
Spirit Lake Lodge
Spirit Lake Lodge
#6 of 20 in Grand Lake

Been to Americas Best Value Inn Bighorn Lodge? Share your experiences!