“Great location & hotel”

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Grand Lake
San Francisco, California
“Great location & hotel”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I had a great stay at the Gateway Inn with my wife. The staff were friendly and the location is very near the downtown area. Breakfast selections were limited and there was no place to leave our bags when we arrived before checkin, but overall I was pleased with the stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Returned to Gateway Inn because of enjoyable previous stay in 2011. Pleased to find the room accommodations are same as before; comfy bed, good shower, and TV, fridge and single cup coffee maker all in good condition. When we checked in on Sunday and went to our room we discovered it had not been cleaned from previous night stay. Returned to front desk with news and was given apologies and an upgrade room with fireplace.

GI has a bar that we enjoyed watching the Broncos game with locals. All tables/chairs were full with locals enjoying the game and a potluck meal. There was one chair at bar available for my wife which allowed me to stand behind her. The locals made us feel very welcome and even provided me a chair when a local vacated it.

We found the people service to be friendly and accommodating to us as guests. Overall we found GI to be clean and tidy inside and outside. Our only surprise this trip was the change in dining service. In 2011 we enjoyed dinner and breakfast at the GI. In 2013 the GI does not provide dining options of any kind. Grand Lake has enough dining options to make any trip worth the stay.

We will return!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Spent one evening at the Gateway Inn last week. Carpet was stained. Bathroom was dirty. Towels were threadbare. The remote control for the tv was low on batteries. Asked for extra pillows ahead of time when registering online, but when we checked in the desk rep was training someone and she told him, that we already had 4 pillows and if we needed more we should come back to tell them. Really? It's my fault for not backing out of the room, once we got in there. I will say the bar was packed for happy hour. It seems to be the local watering hole. Place was busy. Can't say for sure if it was overpriced for the area, but didn't seem worth the price we were charged. Asked about breakfast there, and the desk rep said no breakfast, but we could have s'mores later on in the evening at an outdoor fire pit, if we told the bartender. Did not know this.

Room Tip: My tip is to find someplace else to stay if you're in the area.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Pamela D
New York
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

This is a rustic-looking lodge only a mile from the entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. Everything is great until you get into their beds. The mattress was much, much too soft. Other than that, the rooms were very clean, the heat worked well, and the shower was adequate. I don't know that you can do any better in Grand Lake, but look around. Also, no free breakfast of any type, although they have a restaurant which is closed in the off season .

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Denver, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 24 October 2013

My Husband and our two boys (2 &8) were so EXCITED when we saw a Groupon for Gateway Inn. We go to mountain towns regularly as we are Colorado locals. When we arrived there was only one person working and we had to wait almost 30 minutes just to check in. He seemed very annoyed at our children, which was the main reason we picked this place. On the website they come off as family friendly, they have a huge teddy bear in the lobby, offer bunk beds in some of their rooms, and have complimentary s'mores nightly, this led us to believe it was a family friendly establishment. Our first night the bartender, a man with a buzzed hair cut was the gem of this place, made my son a drink and made him feel special. The locals seemed very annoyed at outsiders and with kids. My 2 year old was fascinated by the teddy bear and him and I spent a lot of time just sitting in the lobby enjoying the bear, but got stink eye not only from locals but from staff. I asked if it was ok and the man said it's fine with a rude tone. We then went to our room to escape the awkwardness. Our room was nice with a beautiful mountain view, had a mini fridge, beautiful furniture, but the cleanliness could have been a little better. There were coffee stains and what looked like dried frosting on the table and counter tops, neither my husband or I drink coffee, popcorn under the beds and night stand, the pillow smelt of strong cologne which could just be from past guests but made me weary if the sheets had been changed, and there was hair on the bathroom floor. This was the least of our problems. The next night we had hope that our treatment would be better and it was worse. It took 10 minutes to get a beer because there was no bartender at the bar. We got uncomfortable stares from the locals as we waited for service and had mumbles of why are there children at the bar, when they were not at the bar they were at the shuffle board game with my husband. When the bartender returned, different man than the night before, but the same man that checked us in, slammed my beer on the counter to the point of it spilling and him having to refill. We returned to our room once again for the same reason as the previous night. The next morning as we were checking out my husband went to get change to give house keeping a tip and was told, "Do I look like an ATM?" by the older woman. He then said is there any way I can get change so I can leave a tip for the house keeper? She then made another rude comment and said she wasn't worried about anyone receiving a tip. This place is SO BEAUTIFUL with so much potential, I was more upset at what this experience could have been if the management was into their job because it was so beautiful. The establishment itself is not the problem it's the people who run it. If you are single and looking to get stumbling mumbling drunk, talk about inappropriate topics, old, and angry, this is a great place. If you are a family looking for somewhere you can relax with your children, I highly recommend trying another place in town. I have never written a review but this was just a crappy situation in a very beautiful place.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view to avoid parking lot view, check your fridge setting before plugging in and st...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Ursula B
Rhode Island
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Our trip only afforded us a one night stay in Grand Lake, and we picked this place based on other TripAdvisor reviews. It was fine. The view was okay, but just; the building sits on a hill some distance from the lake. When you look out the window you see the road and other buildings as well as the scenery. Restaurants were close enough by car. Service was good and friendly; we didn't go to the bar (smelled like burnt popcorn and it wasn't appealing when we came back from dinner) but it seemed cozy enough. Not sure it was enticing enough to go back to, but I can't say there was anything wrong with it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
PA
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We spent one night here after driving through RMNP from Estes Park on the other side. The little town of Grand Lake is charming, and I am glad that we stopped for a night. We chose this hotel based on the TA ratings. I think overall it was a good choice, although we did have the same experience as some other reviewers. Our rooms (we were 2 families with 4 kids total) were perfectly fine. Ours had a balcony with a lovely view of the lake. The decor is themed, which we liked.

The only issue was that the bar downstairs is definitely a "local" hangout kind of a place. We were able to use the outdoor firepit tables for s'mores with the kids (the hotel workers were very friendly and helpful with this), but there were tons of loud, drunk customers. We could not stay there for long, and ended up going back up to our rooms.

I didn't see any of the other lodging options in Grand Lake, but I think I would stay here again if it was only for one night.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,306 reviews
The Estes Park Resort
The Estes Park Resort
#15 of 29 in Estes Park

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!