“Very nice place for fine dining and special occasions”

Rapids Lodge Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Lake
Price range: US$12 - US$46
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Historic Rapids Lodge and Restaurant was established in 1915 and is situated along the banks of the scenic North Inlet River. Lunch (summer only) and Dinner (reservations recommended).Enjoy an extensive wine list and historic ambiance. Please visit our website for up to date menus.
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We have eaten at the Rapids Lodge Restaurant numerous times when staying at Grand Lake. It is on the pricey side, which makes more for a fine dining experience and for special occasions, but we very much enjoy the food and they have specials and not-your-typical fair such as Elk medallions. It has a nice somewhat rustic appearance, but a classy ambiance at the same time. There is a fireplace as I recall and the river is on the east side of the building. One year my wife and I celebrated our anniversary here so if you want the river view make a reservation and request a table by the riverside windows. In the summer or around holidays/special events we would definitely recommend making a reservation.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

This is a great restaurant with some excellent dishes. The trout was perfect. The filet steak was perfect. The elk is tough but the waitress warns you in advance. The wine list is respectable. They even offer a sorbet between courses. Truly the class of Grand Lake.
Get a table by the back window if available. A wild fox comes down to the river every evening.

Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

This restaurant has a great view and the food was excellent. The staff also provided excellent service. We had the lamb and the elk selections. We were advised that Colorado lamb is a fattier lamb but my wife said it was very tasty and she was very happy with her selection. I had the elk selection and loved it. The sauce that accompanied the elk was also delicious. The elk was a first for me so I'm not sure how tender elk should be but mine was not the tenderest piece but still I wouldn't call it tough. I would agree wth others who say the prices are high. It is not an everyday restaurant - more of a special ocassion restaurant.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at the Lodge and were really looking forward to an outstanding meal based upon reviews we had read. We ordered the Rocky Mountain Trout and the Elk Medallions. While the Elk Medallions were passable, I found them to be a bit tough. The most that can be said for the Rocky Mountain Trout is that it was mediocre and quite average. Our server was very attentive.

Given our expectations and the higher prices, I may be being kind with the average rating?

Reviewed 1 October 2013

We had lunch at the Rapids Lodge Restaurant on the recommendation of a local hiker we met that morning. The restaurant is not on the main street through Grand Lake and is not something you would drive by unless you are looking for it. The restaurant is connected to a lodge and some cabins nearby.

There were not too many choices on the lunch menu and even fewer choices for sides to go with the limited meals. But after eating the very large burger I ordered, I was not all that hungry for a side anyway. My wife loved her salad and thought it was outstanding. We had a hush-puppy appetizer that consisted of 4 large hush-puppies with a dipping sauce for $12. Not a good value. The prices were very high for a lunch menu.

The food was very good and the atmosphere wonderful as the dining room sits next to a roaring mountain stream and there are tables outside for warm days to have lunch or dinner. I do think the prices were too high for the food we had.