“The BEST vacation our family has EVER had!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grant
Tumbling River Ranch
Atlanta, Georgia
“The BEST vacation our family has EVER had!!!”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Where do I begin? This was such an amazing vacation... Nicely appointed cabins dressed in western decor- loved it. Horse back riding everyday, professional fly fishing excursions in pristine waters, overnight horseback ride to high camp-where we slept under the stars with the horses, massage therapy (ahhh), trap shooting, fantastic meals, afternoon swims, gorgeous hikes, rodeo, campfires with live music, square-dancing, and so many special touches throughout the week (homemade cookies would just show up at my cabin, pbj sandwiches made for my picky eater at any hour, special beverage runs into town). Owners, Scott & Megan, are the most becoming hosts and their staff is a mirror image of their high standards. We became friends with the entire crew and all the other guest families. My 3 kids were so sad to go home because they were going to miss "their" horses, their friends, their vacation home. Did I mention that my kids did not watch a single minute of TV, play an iPod, or video game? Completely unplugged from the world of screens. Very wholesome. Only wish we could have stayed longer.
We will definitely be back! It was truly the BEST vacation our family has ever had!!

Room Tip: Pueblo house is great for large groups, but, the cabins are perfect for individual families.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 1MamaMac

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Aubrey, TX
Reviewed 17 July 2012

What a special and welcoming place. Hands on owners Scott & Megan make sure every aspect of one's visit is personally attended to, whether its the safety and horseback riding orientation, or the breakfast cookouts. Every day brings new surprises, the riding is incredible, the fishing extraordinary, the food to die for. The Pueblo House is an architectural treasure. Everywhere you go fresh water streams abound, I know now why they call it Tumbling River! As if that wasn't enough, the Staff are incredible, anything you need or ask for is provided with a smile. We have made many new friends as a result of our visit. For families with kids, the kids will have the time of their life, and the parents can enjoy themselves because the kids are constantly engaged. We can't say enough about this place, it is a very special place everyone should put on their bucket list.

Room Tip: Pueblo House exceptional.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HorseFlicks
Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Our family of 4 (mom, dad and 2 kids—ages 12 and 9) spent a week at Tumbling River Ranch in June. We travel a fair amount and have had other all-inclusive vacations, but I can honestly say that this was the best family vacation we’ve ever had. We’ve never been on a trip where every member of the family was happy and fully engaged…until TRR.

Details…
Size – with a capacity of about 60 guests, the ranch is big enough to offer a variety of people and programs without being too big.

Location – about 2 hours from Denver, the ranch is easy to get to and the availability of shuttle service to and from the airport is a big plus. There is absolutely no need for a car at the ranch. They provide transportation to all off-site activities. The ranch is in a mountainous region right near a river. It’s a beautiful setting.

Families – TRR truly caters to families with children. They have kids-only activities, adult-only programs, and events for the entire family. School-age kids and teens are more likely to enjoy the activities offered at the ranch, but I suspect that TRR can easily accommodate the toddler and preschool set as well. They were very flexible with our daughter who’d just turned 12. She joined the teen group for some activities and stayed with the older kids (9-11) for other activities.

Activities – horseback riding is a big part of the TRR experience, but you can have a great time even if you don’t ride. They tailor their program to more novice riders so there’s no reason to shy away from trying it. The trail rides vary in length and difficulty so there is something for everyone (although expert riders might be a bit bored). They also offer daily hikes, pond fishing, swimming, hot tub, trap shooting, yoga, farm animals, field games, rodeo, a rec room with foosball and ping-pong, etc. They have a massage therapist who comes in a few days a week; and she's very good! Evening activities included a square dance, BBQ with smores and live music, 2 adult-only/kid-only dinners, and the wonderful “hootenanny” on the last night. Families also have the option to add white water rafting and fly fishing for an additional fee. We did both and really enjoyed them. Another option...sit and read a book while looking out at the mountains or take an afternoon nap. You can do it all here...but No TVs and no telephones (a good thing!). They do have WiFi for those who don't want to totally unplug.

Food – Amazing! Be sure to bring your appetite. We didn't know what to expect from a dude ranch, but the quality surpassed our expectations. Some of the dinners (i.e. the adult-only nights) were better than those we’ve had at upscale restaurants. I was very impressed with their willingness to accommodate special diets. I am lactose-intolerant and they went out of their way to make special dishes if any of the food in the meal included dairy. I didn’t even have to ask—they would remember and bring me the dish. And the baked goods and desserts…wow!

Staff – The owners, Megan and Scott have outdone themselves. They have a great team. All of the staff went out of their way to make our experience a good one. The kids program staff is excellent. Our 9 year-old son can be challenging but they handled him very well. They’re also very accommodating. My husband and I went fly fishing for the day and had to leave very early in the morning. One of the counselors came to our cabin, got the kids up and moving, dressed, to breakfast and activities. The kids were as happy as clams when we got back. And, there is no extra charge for this kind of service. It’s just part of what they do at TRR.

Accommodations – Guests have the option of staying in one of several cabins or at the Pueblo Lodge. We stayed in a lovely cabin--not fancy but it had everything we needed, including a fireplace and porch. The Pueblo lodge is a bit of a hike from the main office, rec hall and cabins but it’s a beautiful building that easily accommodates large groups, with its own kitchen/dining room. It’s the perfect setting for a family reunion. They also offer a free guest laundry which we and other families took advantage of—all that outdoor time makes for dirty clothes!

As you can tell, we can't say enough good things about Tumbling River. We got a full dose of the great outdoors and made some wonderful friends. It was an amazing week! Our kids can't wait to go back...and we certainly will return at some point.

Room Tip: The Tomahawk cabin was wonderful.
2 Thank Lisa S
Bellefontaine, Ohio
Reviewed 14 July 2012

We had a wonderful time at Tumbling River Ranch. This was our second visit (third for my husband who also went as a child), and we were not disappointed. The trail rides were fantastic, the food delicious and the staff were awesome! The mountain setting is magnificent, and there was so much to do. While they've expanded the activities even more from what we experienced ten years ago, they've kept their same warm, personal approach with guests. We felt like we had come home! Thanks Megan and Scott.

Room Tip: The cabins are great. We stayed in the Big Horn for both our trips, which has a nice porch overlook...
2 Thank acg828892
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Reviewed 5 July 2012

I took my family back to Tumbling River for the third time this summer. We'd just stay forever if we could. It is so much more than a vacation. It is the perfect mix of adventure and relaxation in a setting that is so utterly beautiful. TRR offers anything you might want: horseback-riding, hiking, swimming, shooting, cook-outs, candlelit dinners, fishing, rafting, overnight pack trips, family time, alone time, yoga, shopping excursions. All of this adventure...yet you'll feel your soul slow to a perfect, ambling pace. The food is absolutely delicious, but not pretentious. The accomodations are wonderfully comfortably, but woodsy enough to make you feel you've gone a little cowboy. And the staff- you'll want to take them home with you. Everyone should be so lucky as to experience a week at Tumbling River. It gets under your skin. You'll see. I dare you not to cry like a baby when the week is up.

1 Thank marymargaret6
Rogers, Arkansas
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Three generations of my family spent an awesome week at Tumbling River in June. Everyone had a wonderful time. We have been to TRR six years and want to go again! The food, staff, riding, activities, and facilities are superb. Thank you, Megan and Scott!

1 Thank Paula J
olathe
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The first time I went to Tumbling River was 35 years ago. It was my favorite vacation as a child and it still is as an adult. My grandparents brought me, my brother and my four cousins every summer growing up from the time I was 5 until I was 18. I brought my children to the ranch two years ago and again this year. We never want to leave the ranch, and we cannot wait to go back! It is my children's favorite vacation as well! Tumbling River just does something special for families! The staff is incredible, the food is amazing, the scenery is just beautiful!!!! There is so much to do at the ranch. The horseback riding is so much fun as well as the white water rafting, clay pigeon shooting, fly fishing, hiking, overnight camping, rodeo, square-dancing, etc., etc. There is fun for every age at the ranch! You cannot go wrong choosing TRR for your vacation! It truly is the best place on earth!!!

2 Thank mindy g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grant
The Lodge at Breckenridge
Beaver Run Resort and Conference Center
Colorado Bear Creek Cabins
Colorado Bear Creek Cabins
#1 of 3 in Evergreen

Been to Tumbling River Ranch? Share your experiences!