“Jersey girl approves”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Having been to my share of diners and dives for breakfast, this place takes the cake (..or cinnamon raisin bread, oh my!) My husband and I ate breakfast here 3/4 of our week long stay (only 3/4 because we tried another place in Woodland Park that had high reviews but were disappointed). Since the food was so good and came out very fast (and the fact that it was across the street from The Outlook Lodge where we were staying), we did not look further for our breakfast feasts.

My husband loved their french toast and had it every time we went (he did try the Cinnamon Raisin roll platter but it was just too much food). Biscuits and gravy were great, Omelets were awesome, their bread was even better - I even loved how they formed it into a pin wheel on your plate! The small orange juice was the perfect amount and the eggs came out perfect every time. Having never stayed in a small, quaint town like GMF, we loved seeing all of the old men gather for their morning breakfast to talk politics and town stuff. Two out of three waitresses were awesome.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My daughter and I went here for a breakfast on our last day in the area. We sat outside and enjoyed the sunshine while we ate. I had a breakfast burrito which was very good and smothered in green chili. My daughter had biscuits and gravy that she enjoyed very much. The portions were very large. My only complaint was that I ordered hot tea and was given a bowl with various tea bags to choose from. None of them were actual tea, only herbal teas. Nothing beats a good cup of hot tea in the morning and that herbal stuff was just not making the mark.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

We ordered the Pantry Omelet and Roast Beef Sandwich. Like another reviewer mentioned, the omelet was almost transparent. It was white and brown, and the white part of the egg was raw. (Shouldn't eggs be yellow?) Mentioned it to the waitress who said she would fix it. When it came back a second time, it was still raw and cold. I don't know how they could deliver such a horrible looking, raw omelet to our table. The roast beef was OK, but didn't taste homemade. Would never go back. If you want a GREAT omelet, go into Colorado Springs to the Omelet Parlor. They know how to cook an omelet!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Our party of 3 visited The Pantry on September 7, 2013 for lunch. it was suggested that we seat ourselves. Not a big deal. A young lady quickly provided us menus and returned about 10 minutes later to take our food and drink order. Typically wait staff will provide menus and ask what would like to drink and then return some time later after we've had a chance to read the menu to take our food order. We placed our orders and our food was delivered in a reasonable of time. My wife's coffee was cold. We notified the waitress and she promptly heated the coffee with the microwave. She should have made a new pot as the coffee was both old and cold. My wife ordered Chicken Fried Steak. The order was smallish and overcooked in oil that was past it's prime. My order of fish fillets was also smallish and overcooked in last week's oil. The fillets reminded me of Gorton's at King Soopers. The french fries were quite unspectacular, no seasoning. The coleslaw was plain and unremarkable. The word blah comes to mind. The third member of our party had a grilled chicken Avacado sandwich. It was very dry and no amount of mayonnaise (from plastic packets) could save it. It went half eaten. A second waitress provided our bill and did not ask if we wanted dessert first. She simply walked by and left the check on the table. A bus boy walked by and for the first time someone asked how our meal was. My wife replied "marginal, 4 out of 10". The bus boy took an interest in us said he would get our waitress to follow up with us. We waited and no one returned to our table to talk to us. We left and paid our bill. As we left we noticed a woman at the counter who was returning 2 to-go meals. She said the food was unsatisfactory. As she left one of the waitresses called her a "b---h!". Wow! Lunch and bad theater! We won't be back anytime soon.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We have visited the Pantry several times. I reviewed it a couple of years ago after a poor visit for Sunday brunch. That visit was totally out of the norm and was not good. This trip, our party of four adults enjoyed a mid morning meal to write home about.
The recent flood damaged the back dining area of the restaurant, but inside and the front outside dining area are in tact while the back is being repaired.
We had a great meal with outstanding service. Two of our party had breakfast and were not disappointed at the quality or size of their meals. My wife and I had lunch entrees. I ordered the patty melt which seemed a bit high at $8 but when it arrived it appeared to be a 3/4 pound ground steak between two pieces of buttered french toast. HUGE and good! With the french fries it was all I could do to finish it.
This is an outstanding place for breakfast (but the Sunday morning buffet is not the way to go). We have learned that it is a good place to eat for noon as well. Right now they are closing at 2PM but we have had good meals here in the deep winter at night. It would be wise to call in advance to assure the hours open.
Sit outside if the weather cooperates and enjoy the cool air, and mountain views.
We heartily recommend this and shall return soon!