“Unique Resturant”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Unique Resturant”
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Good food and very unique place for dinner. The bar can be a little quirly with the locals but the food in the ding area is really a treat.

Visited April 2012

“Great experience at the black bear Resturant!!”
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Just visited the black bear Resturant. The staff was very friendly and Elizabeth was great at the wine paring with our meal. Definitely worth the extra money. We got the table in front of the real wood burning fireplace which was very romantic for us! We got the 5 course meal with wine paring. The food was amazing!! Squash and mushroom fusion soup, an assortment of little salads, pasta with langoustine,Colorado beef cooked perfectly and to top it off a chocolate soufflé !! At the end of our meal chef Victor came out to chat with us. I am definitely going to make reservations again soon!

Denver, Colorado
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Chef Vic Mathews is the Bomb!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I had heard there was an amazing Master chef serving up heaven on a plate in some hokey Podunk mountain town. Sounded like a nightmare to me. I figured mountain folk would appreciate anything after chewing on venison jerky and pine cones as their staples. I actually didn't want to go, but my friends dragged me, not quite kicking and screaming. I am from Denver and used to some pretty high-end fare there, and I was pretty sure we passed some pretty descent restaurants on our way through the springs. Boy am I glad my friends persisted! Who knew the amazing culinary treasures that awaited me in an old log building named after a dark and dirty tree scratcher. And what a charming rustic atmosphere. Absolutely loved the huge fireplace. Sat right in front of it actually. Someone critically quipped about not knowing exactly what they were ordering when they signed up for the 7 course meal. The chef personally came over and asked if there were any things that I might have an aversion to or an allergy. Actually I am gluten free. He didn't miss a beat and on the spot, came up with my courses. Talk about feeling special. He had gluten free pasta, made sure any accompanying sauces were g-free too. And the dessert! And it wasn't just jello either. An incredible soufle type thing that blew me away. And the, master chef Matthews educated me on Bourbon. He knows more about this (and so many other things too) and he has one of the best Bourbon collections I have ever shared. The only thing more delicious than the fare was the warmth and charm of the staff, especially Vic and his delightful wife Reanna. What a joy that trip was. I cannot give the place enough stars. I am just overjoyed such a place even exists. It's a bit of a drive, but just think of it as time for your appetite to stoke to the point of perfection. You will not be disappointed! God bless great food, and surprise of all surprises, it shines brightest in an out of the way spot in the hills west of the springs. Go figure. Now stop reading this review and get your foody butt up the mountain. Enjoy!!!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Eric P
Denver
“Chef out if town is not an excuse for a bad experience”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We went expecting a truly terrific experience, however it was one of the worst dining experiences I have ever had. I was surprized that you were not given any menu except for the prices that went along with the number of courses, so you had no idea what was being served. We ordered the 7 course tasting and the first course was asparagus soup - made the experience look promising, even though it was a bit too salty for my taste. Course number two was nearly inedible. There was nasty heats of palm in clarified butter that was served cold, so the butter was all congealed and gross. There was a salad that was warm when it was obviously supposed to be cold and an artichoke heart that was nothing special. The third course was squid with seaweed and gari. The gari and seaweed overwhelmed everything. After we were done with the third course we waited for 40 minutes before we decided to pull the plug on the dinner. To management's credit they picked up the tab for the wine, but honestly, a better chef's table is over at the Penrose in the Broadmoor. You will pay more but they tell you what is on the tasting menu and they totally deliver.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Ima_Cruiser
Newton, KS
“A Fairy Tale Evening”
Reviewed 2 February 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed the 5 course Fairy Tale meal last night. Don't let the 5 courses dissuade you. They were the perfect size - not too little, not too big (in fairy tale language). My husband and son had the bourbon pairings and we had the wine. The service was excellent and there was a tale with each serving. We love to come to the Black Bear. Thanks Chef Matthews and staff!