“Unbelievable experience”

Black Bear Restaurant
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Happened upon this restaurant when the one we planned to go to was closed. Best dining experience ever! The staff interviews you for your likes and dislikes then the chef prepares a meal for you. They are also known for their wine pairings though I did not partake. In a short conversation with the chef on duty, we discovered that we went to the same high school 2000 miles away. It was simply a unique evening.

Reviewed 23 August 2013

As regular annual patrons to the Black Bear Restaurant, we were happy to enjoy another wonderful dining experience. The food was delicious and service superb. Chef Bobby Odom exceeded our expectations with his culinary skills!

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We went here while in vacation in Colorado Springs and found our foodie heaven. Inside a totally unassuming, rustic dining room, the chef is putting out incredible tasting menus! You can choose the number of courses (we went for it and chose all 12) and pairings (wines, whisky, and sake). The food is totally surprising and creative. We loved every course!

Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I were visiting Green Mountain Falls and tried the Black Bear on our first evening there. We walked in without a reservation and were met by a friendly young lady who also turned out to be our waitress. We weren't prepared to spring for $55 per person for their standard 5-course chef's-table meal, so we opted for the 3-course meal for $25 per person. We were not disappointed. The salad was inspired though my wife though that her heirloom tomato was a little over-ripe. I enjoyed its originality and its taste. The main course on that evening was two cuts of beef draped over some truffle-oil garlic mashed potatoes. I've rarely tasted better. For desert they served us a dark chocolate ganache that hit the spot. We'll definitely go back there again if we're in area!

Reviewed 3 August 2013 via mobile

We were a family group of six, age range 50-70. We were looking for a nice place to take my father to dinner and he selected this restaurant. The drive up the pass is pleasant and the restaurant itself is very cute, a beautiful log cabin. We had the restaurant to ourselves with the exception of a table for two seated a bit later in the evening. Because of my father's health issues the venue was perfect, quiet enough for conversation and intimate. Our servers were wonderful as was everybody we came in contact with. We all had the five course- a tiny appetizer, a soup, a salad, a ravioli ( the best part of the meal), a main course, and a dessert. My husband and I each had a glass of wine and our tab was one hundred and seventy dollars with tip. I feel that the food did not warrent the price. Two members of our party left hungry because the portions are small; the chef even mentioned not to worry the portions would be getting bigger for the main course. The main course was free range beef over mashed potatoes with a bourbon-brown sugar sauce. The desert was cheese cake and a chocolate cream puff which were okay but all of us left the top portion of the cream puff pastry because it was too tough to cut with their tiny dessert fork. It tasted okay but we would have had to pop the entire top in all at once. Everything was fine and there was a wide variety of food but, with the exception of the bison ravioli, nothing was that unique or note worthy. I think that when I spend that much money at a restaurant there should be something more unique than the atmosphere. Since the menu is chef's choice and he is emphasizing locally grown we were expecting some surprises we didn't get.