“Small, Quaint and Rustic”
Review of The Canyon Motel

The Canyon Motel
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Overall the experience was what we had expected, a small quaint and rustic motel. The rooms have been updated and for the most part, are adequate. The walls, however, are not sound proof. We had a couple of people staying in the room next door who talked and drank all night, both nights that we were there. Not really the relaxing get away we had hoped for.

Stayed: October 2008
3  Thank bbgun01
There are newer reviews for The Canyon Motel

Reviewed 1 July 2008

I am planning my motorcycle trip thru the Rockies and wanting to stay near the South Entrance to Rocky Mountain State Park so I can take all day to ride thru the Park and I am coming up empty on finding a decent place to lay my head. Then I stumble on this website for a hotel in Hot Sulphur Springs. There isn't even a stop light in Hot Sulphur Springs. So I take a chance. The owner says she will give me the King Suite over the phone. When we arrive I am pleasantly suprised. Large room, extremely clean, family owned, very reasonble room rate. My room didn't have a window and the town water supply was not fit to drink, so they gave us a gallon of distilled water to get us thru the night. Not the motel owner's fault. One warning. Arrive early. There is only one place to eat in town and it closes at 7:00PM. Otherwise you will do like we did and buy your dinner from the grocery supply at the local gas station. Better than what I got in the Army.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank DukeofTally
EcoInnKeeper, Owner at The Canyon Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2008

We always appreciate customer comments. A few of ours regarding this stay:

1) The drinking water problem is over and was temporary due to the town water plant.

2) All of our rooms have windows, per fire code. There is at least one and some have 2 or 3 windows.

3) We always deliver hot pizzas to rooms up until 10 pm year-round. There are currently 5 dining options in walking distance in summer months and 4 year-round restaurants. Please feel free to call for hours before you arrive. Thank you!

Reviewed 29 April 2008

We had an unpleasant experience when we stayed at this motel last July. Since we flied into Denver in early morning and then went to RMNP for a day trip, and we didn’t want to drive to Vail after dark on the mountain road, we decided to stay a place overnight in Hot Sulphur Springs. Based on the reviews posted on tripadvisor, we chose this motel. Yes, before I went, I know it is a basic motel right next to the road, and nothing was fancy. However, all of us were very disappointed once entered our rooms. We had two rooms, one has the kitchen, and the other does not. Both of them looked very depressing, dirty old furniture, carpet and etc. Later on, after I saw some bloodstain on one of the pillows and bed sheet. I called guy in the front desk (who is probably the owner). He immediately changed the bed sheet and pillow cases. Then I checked the bed sheet in my parents’ room and found that it was not very clean either. So I had to ask him changed them as well. At that moment, we really didn’t want to stay at this place but we didn’t have other choice because it was late in the night and my parents were still recovering from minor altitude sickness they had while sightseeing on the Trail ridge road. We left the place as soon as we could the next morning

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank tiger62z

We hope our excellent reviews on this and other travel sites show that this was an isolated complaint. We strive for clean, quality, comfortable rooms and remain AAA Approved. There has also been new management since the date of this guest's stay.

Reviewed 9 January 2007

There's not too much to add that the other reviewers didn't already cover. This is a roadside motel where your is parked directly infront of your door but don't let that scare you, the rooms were affordable ($75/night), clean and comfortable. We stayed in rm 1 (an efficiancy) which had recently been remodeled. The bathroom was new and had hot water. The kitechenette was small but had a microwave, two burner electric stove, and some pots/pans/dishes. The room also came with two double beds (pillowtop), a futon, small table and a flat screen tv.

• Stayed: January 2007
7  Thank AJGolden
Reviewed 21 December 2006

I was actually stranded....i needed to drive further, but it was getting too dark to continue driving,,,,the service station across the street recommended the canyon,motel to me. i noticed it was AAA rated.....i was greeted with a warm welcome...the rates were outstanding....the room was warm,clean and cozy..log cabin type room...with king size bed/pillow top matt.ress....plush pillows and very warm.. the owners even have an on-site pizza oven,,,,hot pizza delivered to my door...the owners were very,very helpful to me...explaining to me where i was, even mapped out my journey ouf the canyon back to I-70West

Thank You So Much For Your Outstanding Service

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
4  Thank livi03
Reviewed 7 June 2006

We upgraded to the romance package, it was very well done and we were very happy with the hospitality and all the extra's. Although I do think my room was haunted, but I did not mind the little girl ghost.

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank carolee r
A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 15 September 2005

We stayed at the Canyon Motel for only one night, but would gladly stay here again when we're in the area. It's an old-style road motel that has been thoughtfully updated, with pillow-top beds, pedestal sinks, and cable tv. The owners are very accommodating, welcoming, and friendly. The motel is up on a hill and most of the rooms have a nice view of the mountains and (small) town.

We stayed in a room without a kitchenette, and we walked a couple of blocks to have dinner at the County Seat Pub & Grill--also recommended. If we hadn't been up for the walk, we could have had pizza delivered to our room for $10, made fresh by the owners.

The draw of the town, the hot springs, are about a 10-minute walk from the motel, and the motel offers discounted tickets ($2 off). The springs are very nice--bring sunscreen, towels, and flip-flops.

All in all, I highly recommend the Canyon Motel. Great little place to stay.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
Winter Park Mountain Lodge
#3 of 14 in Winter Park
Americas Best Value Inn Bighorn Lodge

Been to The Canyon Motel? Share your experiences!