“Home away from home..”
Review of Columbine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Idaho Springs
Columbine Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Idaho Springs
Cheyenne, Wyoming
“Home away from home..”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I have been making regular trips to Idaho Springs as a get away for little short of a year. We previously stayed at a local resort. When they did not have a decond day stay we contacted Alya and Sam's place and loved it. It's clean comfy and peaceful. The owners were very friendly. This will be our new get away place. Thanks so much see you soon Sam and Alya...Kim & Dan..

• Stayed February 2014
2 Thank dkgalle
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We really appreciate your comments and hope that you come back soon!
Alya & Sam, Owners

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 18 February 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed two nights over the valentine's day weekend. When we checked in the Innkeepers surprised us with a valentines day gift, which blew me away. We stayed in the bigger suite, it had a huge king size bed, a kitchenette, and an enormous bathroom. The bathroom had a heated tile floor and a high power, massaging shower head. The bed was very clean and all the bedding was really soft and comfortable. The most amazing thing was that we were a stones-throw away from I-70, but couldn't hear any traffic. We will be returning to the Columbine Inn.

Room Tip: The large king suite is fantastic.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Thomas W
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
We hope that you do come back and stay with us...and if you wish, ask for the same suite when you make a reservation. It is always a pleasure to serve our guests and we really appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your Valentine's weekend experience with the Tripadvisor community.
Alya & Sam
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Over the holidays we recently stayed at the Columbine Inn, which has become one of our favorite places to stay in Colorado. I am so glad that I discovered this little motel a few years ago when I was on a trip with my daughter. We stayed at the Columbine Inn because of its proximity to a mountain we were planning on hiking the next morning, and when the owners wife found out that we were going hiking, she actually left us a little gift bag on our door in the morning with fruit and granola bars for the hike! This personal gesture really impressed me, and the way that the owner (Sam) and his wife showed interest in our trip and treated us like special guests made it feel more like a bed and breakfast than a motel. After that we have always stayed a night at the Columbine Inn on our Colorado vacations, and we have never been let down in our experience. We have stayed in several different rooms, all of which have been extremely comfortable (this past year I noticed that the beds and furniture in our room were new). The quilts and pillows are tasteful and of high quality, and there is an eclectic collection of framed artwork in each room. I found out that the owners wife is an artist and has decorated all of the rooms with her own personal touch. Also the internet worked fine for us (I read in previous reviews that the signal was not very strong) but Sam told us he had just put in a new wireless system after this summer. Our rooms have always been very clean (which is important to me, I am very sensitive to smells). This past trip my husband and I stayed for three nights in one of the Kings which had a kitchenette with a little table, a sink, stovetop, microwave, and we were supplied with a bin of kitchen supplies. The Columbine Inn was the perfect base for our ski trip, as we’ve found Idaho Springs to be a good mid-way point between Denver and the fun ski-towns in Summit County where the nightly accommodations are much more expensive. Sam and his wife remembered us, as always, and treated us like family. We had such a nice visit that I felt I owed the Columbine Inn a good review! Thank you!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Margaret W
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. We look forward to your next visit!
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 November 2013

After a flight from the UK to Denver and a delay in collecting the hire car, I was very pleased to have prebooked this Motel although we just crashed we slept well and departure was a breeze.

I would have liked to spend some more time in Idaho Springs to sample some of the restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Phil D
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We look forward to your return...and do have some great restaurants in our small mining town.
Let us know when you make your reservation that you are a repeat guest.
Thank you for your time in writing a review.
Cheers!
Sam Salter, Owner
Charleston, Arkansas
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I don't usually review many places but I was so disappointed with the service here I feel it is my duty to write a review. We traveled here with my in-laws hoping to have a nice relaxing vacation. Upon check-in Sam was very cordial and accomodating. We unpacked our luggage and immediately noticed the unclean condition of the rooms. I'm not saying the rest of the rooms are the same way....but it's usually a good indication. We found a pretty noticeable stain on the underside of the comforter that I don't even want to begin to describe. We decided to suck it up and just make the best of it. We pulled the comforters off and laid our blankets on the bed for the kids to sleep on. The next morning we got a call from home stating that a family member was severely ill and we would need to cut our vacation short. We approached Sam and told him about our situation. He was....how would you say it.....less than receptive. At one point my mother-in-law was talking to him and he had to step away from her for a second. Upon returning he said "so just because you're not happy with the room you're wanting a refund? Oh no, you're the one with a family crisis" Apparently he was dealing with another patron trying to get a refund at the same time. We paid the full amount (@ $1,000) upon check-in the previous day and he did not want to refund any of it. After my father-in-law talked with him for a bit he agreed to refund $500. Still not believing he was trying to make things right, I stated that we never signed any forms,paperwork, or contracts agreeing to their so called policies (which we were never shown or informed about). He started getting red-faced and said they are posted all over the internet etc. I still haven't found them. He then stated "if you guys keep trying to stiff-arm me I won't refund any of your money." I am one of the most un-confrontational people on the face of the earth and stayed calm during this whole process but Sam went from 0 to 100 in about 2 seconds. I couldn't get a word in edge wise. At that point I said maybe this would best be handled by the police. After the officers arrived they stated this was a civil matter and there wasn't much they could do beyond taking our statements and filling out a report. At this point Sam stated he would refund the $500 and if he was able to resell the rooms he would send a refund check in the mail. Surprise surprise....no check. After paying for the first night's room we only lost about $300 but it's just the principle of the whole deal that really ate on me. I'm sure Sam will have some sort of fancy excuse and I'm anxious to hear it. Also check out the reviews on Yahoo Travel as well. I don't guess Sam takes the time to think about the effect a bad review might have on his business. Will probably cost him more than the $300. Cheers!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank antigov2148
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Reviewer is posting inaccurate details some from second-hand experience:
1. Cancellation policies are standard lodging practice. Reviewer did not make original reservation nor pay for rooms. Please check with person who made reservation over phone and was told about cancellation policy which is also posted 3 additional places: internet, office, sign-in cards
2. Loss because of last minute cancellation of week long reservation for 2 rooms not $300, but 1 night lodging to which person responsible (not reviewer) agreed. Refund was in fact issued thus violating own cancellation policy out of my volition, not because of police, whom I suggested be called to arbitrate dispute in busy parking lot
3. Assumption that I "was dealing with another patron trying to get a refund" are false
4. Do not believe that guests would "suck it up and just make the best of it" and stay the night if rooms were as described. In fact, these were newly-remodeled with new beds, bedding etc.
5. Random OSHA inspections attest to our cleanliness
6. Seasoned travelers and repeat guests see through "warnings" with their intent
Finally, I use the Salutations "Cheers!" to valued guests as a shout-out which means: To instill with courage, hope, encouragement and happiness
London
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Excellent place to stay at Idaho Springs, definitely worth the money. Had a 7-hour delay on the east coast and arrived very late and pretty exhausted, but was greeted by the friendly owner (a bit surprise) and had a very good sleep. I should note that the room is well decorated. The only downside is the WIFI: it was simply unusable if you live in the east wing of the complex. As I need to book room and check weather for travel in the next day I had to sit in the car to get closer to the office to use it (it was late in the night) which wasn't very convenient. Also if you don't like to use GPS (I do have a GPS for emergency but always stick to paper maps) the place is a bit hard to find at night.

Room Tip: If you care about sitting in the bed to use WIFI try something in the west.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thank you for your review. We would like to let you and the TripAdvisor community know that we apologize for the weak Wi-Fi signal you have experienced, however, on a positive note, we have
had a new company completely re-wire the whole system . All the rooms now have a very strong signal. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 27 September 2013

WE have been staying here for years. And have always been happy with our rooms. WE have even brought elderly family with us, who required a handicapped room (and got it) and been delighted. Sam & his wife have always been polite to us and very welcoming. As a repeat customer his wife has even upgraded our room with no change in cost to us. Their rooms are clean and beds comfy ( firm). Reasonably priced units. I did read some other reviews as well, and we usually ask to stay in the rooms close to the office and have not had a bad experience. I don't know about the other rooms. I do know that Sams been real busy doing a lot us updating. This is not a big chain hotel it is a quaint small town hotel. Parking can be a little snug. Is a nice place to spend time if you are traveling to Blackhawk (20-30 minute drive away) for some gambling fun and wanting to get away from it all at then end of the day. It is in the center of really of anything you want to eat or drink.
Be aware there is no items for use in the kitchenettes you must bring your own. A 4 cup coffee pot is available(with complimentary coffee) but, Starbucks is a couple blocks up eastward on your left as well as a McDonalds or a Cafe for breakfast. If you go back west on the same road there is a Subway, Safeway, & liquor store. Keep going and you go through town where there are other places to eat.
**Take note: A lot of construction going on at the Idaho Springs tunnel. On a Sunday traffic was stop and go from Silverthorne. Took almost 2 hours to get here which is normally a 30 minute drive from Silverthorne
We definitely will be back, but I think probably after the construction.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the office side We stayed in room 4. It was pretty quiet for our stay. It wa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karenrn94
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Please ask at the front desk when you check in-- all kitchenette supplies with kitchen usage will be delivered to your unit. We do not expect you to travel with the following: pots & pans; dishes; silverware; cooking utensils; kitchen towels and cleaning supplies.

We look forward to your return! Thank you for taking the time in writing a review and suggestions.
FYI : Put in a brand new King size even plusher bed in #04 this week since you are the 2nd guest with request for bed not so-firm . Hope this will better suit everyone's needs.

Cheers! Sam Salter, Owner
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Idaho Springs
Americas Best Value Inn-Georgetown Lodge

Been to Columbine Inn? Share your experiences!