“Cozy, well kept Inn”
Review of Columbine Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Idaho Springs
Columbine Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Idaho Springs
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Sam (the owner) was pleasant upon our arrival, but he neglected to let us know where the room was located and that check-out was at 10am instead of the customary 11am. I thought the bed was way too firm, but my husband loved how hard the king bed was! Cute decor (loved the idea for the fake window in the kitchen area!). I did not like the polyester sheets, though--they made it too hot--and they were 'scented' with either the laundry soap or perfume--made it so I couldn't breathe half the night. Convenient location & easy to find. Best rates around make for a pretty good bargain. Booked solid for that night as it had a full parking lot! Would have been nice if it had a pool, but that would raise the rates. Had a cute little yard area and a BBQ grill on a patio--don't know if it was there for customers to use or not. Small kitchenette was a pleasant surprise. Would stay here again if we're in Idaho Springs again. Was quiet, too.

Room Tip: Ask how firm the mattresses are. The "king" room-- #6; room #7 is right next to it-- is be...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank T W
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thank you for your time in writing a critique. Following are my responses to your comments:
1. Beds in King suites are new "Pillow-Top" and comfortable for most
2. We "Go-Green". No perfume or scents in laundry nor cleaning supplies. Main window opens wide for fresh air and also have air conditioner in each room. Breathing problems are also often caused by the high altitude so we recommend to drink lots of water in higher elevations
3. All on-ground amenities are for our guests
4. Sorry no pool, hot springs and rec center nearby
5. Check-out posted clearly on sign-in, receipt and in your room. We often accommodate guests for later check-out on request in less busy season, however, over 20-years have found that travelers who come here to the mountains are athletic, early risers. Check-in however, at 3PM is 1 hr. earlier than other hotels in area.
Thank you for staying!
Sam Salter, Owner

There are newer reviews for Columbine Inn

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It's nice for what it is, in a retired iron worker kind of way. Very, very basic. The towels were clean, the sheets were OK, overall the room was decorated nicely or at least not too oppressive. It was a good place to hang my hat in Idaho Springs, which was just what I needed at the time. Out of the range of choices in that town, I'd say this is the best. Funny that such a cool town with great restaurants and shops would be so limited in terms of motels; seems like an opportunity for someone to get in on the ground floor.

Room Tip: They're all about the same.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank snoobadoo22
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Thank you for writing a review. As a retired iron worker, you must be well traveled and we appreciate that you chose our place to "hang (your) hat". We welcome travelers of many hats and from all occupations who choose to stay here including: miners, writers, photographers, history buffs, sports enthusiasts; and those who come from all regions of our country---plus international guests. Therefore, we encourage our tripadvisor travelers to check out all of our rooms, including cabins, suites, because they are not all the same.They are unique and different, including decor, designed to accommodate a variety of people and their individual needs.
Your hosts,
Alya and Sam Salter, Owners

Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband and I have been making regular trips to Idaho Springs as a get away for little short of a year. We previously stayed at a local resort. When they did not have a decond day stay we contacted Alya and Sam's place and loved it. It's clean comfy and peaceful. The owners were very friendly. This will be our new get away place. Thanks so much see you soon Sam and Alya...Kim & Dan..

• Stayed: February 2014
2  Thank dkgalle
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We really appreciate your comments and hope that you come back soon!
Alya & Sam, Owners

Reviewed 18 February 2014

My girlfriend and I stayed two nights over the valentine's day weekend. When we checked in the Innkeepers surprised us with a valentines day gift, which blew me away. We stayed in the bigger suite, it had a huge king size bed, a kitchenette, and an enormous bathroom. The bathroom had a heated tile floor and a high power, massaging shower head. The bed was very clean and all the bedding was really soft and comfortable. The most amazing thing was that we were a stones-throw away from I-70, but couldn't hear any traffic. We will be returning to the Columbine Inn.

Room Tip: The large king suite is fantastic.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Thomas W
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

We hope that you do come back and stay with us...and if you wish, ask for the same suite when you make a reservation. It is always a pleasure to serve our guests and we really appreciate the fact that you took the time to share your Valentine's weekend experience with the Tripadvisor community.
Alya & Sam

Reviewed 6 January 2014

Over the holidays we recently stayed at the Columbine Inn, which has become one of our favorite places to stay in Colorado. I am so glad that I discovered this little motel a few years ago when I was on a trip with my daughter. We stayed at the Columbine Inn because of its proximity to a mountain we were planning on hiking the next morning, and when the owners wife found out that we were going hiking, she actually left us a little gift bag on our door in the morning with fruit and granola bars for the hike! This personal gesture really impressed me, and the way that the owner (Sam) and his wife showed interest in our trip and treated us like special guests made it feel more like a bed and breakfast than a motel. After that we have always stayed a night at the Columbine Inn on our Colorado vacations, and we have never been let down in our experience. We have stayed in several different rooms, all of which have been extremely comfortable (this past year I noticed that the beds and furniture in our room were new). The quilts and pillows are tasteful and of high quality, and there is an eclectic collection of framed artwork in each room. I found out that the owners wife is an artist and has decorated all of the rooms with her own personal touch. Also the internet worked fine for us (I read in previous reviews that the signal was not very strong) but Sam told us he had just put in a new wireless system after this summer. Our rooms have always been very clean (which is important to me, I am very sensitive to smells). This past trip my husband and I stayed for three nights in one of the Kings which had a kitchenette with a little table, a sink, stovetop, microwave, and we were supplied with a bin of kitchen supplies. The Columbine Inn was the perfect base for our ski trip, as we’ve found Idaho Springs to be a good mid-way point between Denver and the fun ski-towns in Summit County where the nightly accommodations are much more expensive. Sam and his wife remembered us, as always, and treated us like family. We had such a nice visit that I felt I owed the Columbine Inn a good review! Thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Margaret W
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

We sincerely appreciate your taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. Thank you for giving us an opportunity to serve you. We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

After a flight from the UK to Denver and a delay in collecting the hire car, I was very pleased to have prebooked this Motel although we just crashed we slept well and departure was a breeze.

I would have liked to spend some more time in Idaho Springs to sample some of the restaurants. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Phil D
innkeeper617, Owner at Columbine Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2013

We look forward to your return...and do have some great restaurants in our small mining town.
Let us know when you make your reservation that you are a repeat guest.
Thank you for your time in writing a review.
Cheers!
Sam Salter, Owner

Reviewed 17 October 2013

I don't usually review many places but I was so disappointed with the service here I feel it is my duty to write a review. We traveled here with my in-laws hoping to have a nice relaxing vacation. Upon check-in Sam was very cordial and accomodating. We unpacked our luggage and immediately noticed the unclean condition of the rooms. I'm not saying the rest of the rooms are the same way....but it's usually a good indication. We found a pretty noticeable stain on the underside of the comforter that I don't even want to begin to describe. We decided to suck it up and just make the best of it. We pulled the comforters off and laid our blankets on the bed for the kids to sleep on. The next morning we got a call from home stating that a family member was severely ill and we would need to cut our vacation short. We approached Sam and told him about our situation. He was....how would you say it.....less than receptive. At one point my mother-in-law was talking to him and he had to step away from her for a second. Upon returning he said "so just because you're not happy with the room you're wanting a refund? Oh no, you're the one with a family crisis" Apparently he was dealing with another patron trying to get a refund at the same time. We paid the full amount (@ $1,000) upon check-in the previous day and he did not want to refund any of it. After my father-in-law talked with him for a bit he agreed to refund $500. Still not believing he was trying to make things right, I stated that we never signed any forms,paperwork, or contracts agreeing to their so called policies (which we were never shown or informed about). He started getting red-faced and said they are posted all over the internet etc. I still haven't found them. He then stated "if you guys keep trying to stiff-arm me I won't refund any of your money." I am one of the most un-confrontational people on the face of the earth and stayed calm during this whole process but Sam went from 0 to 100 in about 2 seconds. I couldn't get a word in edge wise. At that point I said maybe this would best be handled by the police. After the officers arrived they stated this was a civil matter and there wasn't much they could do beyond taking our statements and filling out a report. At this point Sam stated he would refund the $500 and if he was able to resell the rooms he would send a refund check in the mail. Surprise surprise....no check. After paying for the first night's room we only lost about $300 but it's just the principle of the whole deal that really ate on me. I'm sure Sam will have some sort of fancy excuse and I'm anxious to hear it. Also check out the reviews on Yahoo Travel as well. I don't guess Sam takes the time to think about the effect a bad review might have on his business. Will probably cost him more than the $300. Cheers!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank antigov2148

Reviewer is posting inaccurate details some from second-hand experience:
1. Cancellation policies are standard lodging practice. Reviewer did not make original reservation nor pay for rooms. Please check with person who made reservation over phone and was told about cancellation policy which is also posted 3 additional places: internet, office, sign-in cards
2. Loss because of last minute cancellation of week long reservation for 2 rooms not $300, but 1 night lodging to which person responsible (not reviewer) agreed. Refund was in fact issued thus violating own cancellation policy out of my volition, not because of police, whom I suggested be called to arbitrate dispute in busy parking lot
3. Assumption that I "was dealing with another patron trying to get a refund" are false
4. Do not believe that guests would "suck it up and just make the best of it" and stay the night if rooms were as described. In fact, these were newly-remodeled with new beds, bedding etc.
5. Random OSHA inspections attest to our cleanliness
6. Seasoned travelers and repeat guests see through "warnings" with their intent
Finally, I use the Salutations "Cheers!" to valued guests as a shout-out which means: To instill with courage, hope, encouragement and happiness

Also consider these accommodations in or near Idaho Springs
#1 of 5 in Idaho Springs
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
Miners Pick Bed and Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Idaho Springs

Been to Columbine Inn? Share your experiences!