Review Highlights
Amazing Surf School!

Excellent Surf School is by far the best school I’ve had the pleasure to surf with. 6 months ago I... read more

Reviewed 21 October 2018
Lisa S
via mobile
Fantastic surf school!!

I had quite a few lessons with Dulip - all of them were so much fun and I made a lot of progress... read more

Reviewed 20 September 2018
Amanda W

All reviews his brother these guys catching waves surf school felt super safe two brothers his friends side note feel comfortable sri lanka super kind great person down to earth his team great teacher next morning learn how
Reviewed 22 June 2018 via mobile

During my trip in Arugam Bay I did both surf lessons and an amazing safari with Lesitha.

Lesitha and other surf coaches were fantastic giving lots of guidance/tips. The teachers stay one on one with you In the water making sure you are safe and that you have a great time. Each lesson they help you progress and become a better surfer.
We expressed our interest in wildlife to Lesitha, he made it his mission to show us some animals. On the way home from surf lessons Lesitha would routinely spot wild life we were oblivious to. He would stop so we could see elephants, birds, monkeys and Crocodiles.

We decided to do a safari with Lesitha as he was amazing at spotting animals. The safari was at Kumana Nationalpark. As soon as we entered the park he spotted a large family of wild elephants which was truly special. The safari was amazing, lesitha would share his vast knowledge of the local wildlife. We had high hopes to spot a leopard. During the day Lesitha spotted a leopard but unfortunately we missed it. From then on he made it his personal mission to find a leopard for us. It was dark and nearing the end of the safari but he managed to spot a leopard out for us. Lesitha made my trip one not to forget. He was the most down to earth person! very friendly, fun to be around, a great dancer, with a heart of gold. I highly recommend surf lessons and safari.

Date of experience: May 2018
Reviewed 13 June 2018

Never having surfed before, I was a bit nervous, but Lesitha has such a relaxed manner it made learning easy. The first time he took us out to a more remote area with less surfers, so that made it even easier. The second time the surf point was a bit more crowded (in June there were only 3 spots that could be surfed, so they tended to get a bit crowded). But he made sure to never put me out on a wave with too many others. So happy I got to learn from him. On a side note, he's also an excellent safari guide. I swear he has bionic eyes. He showed us crocodiles, lizards, elephants, jackals, all sorts of birds, a sloth bear and even a Leopard!

Date of experience: June 2018
2  Thank Shalini N
Reviewed 26 May 2018

As probably most people here, we looked on Tripadvisor and did our due diligence and price comparison in Arugambay, seeing how small the city it, it was easy to do. All the prices are comparable, plus or minus a few dollars per hour, nothing substantial. We went with Excellent and Lesitha, because 1) he seemed very nice and chill, 2) his surf school was closest to our hotel and 3) the fact that he won a price at a surf championship at least indicates that he is a good surfer. Since we were staying there for a week, my plan was to try out a few other teachers/schools, however that never happened. We stayed 7 days and I took 6 classes with Lesitha, just because the lessons were great and I made major improvements.

My level was beginner-intermediate, I can comfortably stand up on a long hard board, but need to be pushed. Before coming to Arugambay I had classes (4) before on beach breaks on white waves, whereas Arugambay has more point breaks on shallow water and sandy bottoms. This means that the waves break quite predictably at the same spot, and those waves are generally not very wide, maybe 5 – 10 meters. So, if you are unlucky and it is very busy, you have beginner-intermediate and beginners on the same patch of sea and that can get quite dangerous. Especially with people who do not know the rules and just rent a board to try out surfing and then put themselves in the path of other surfers, who are usually also beginners (I have seen a few near clashes).

Lesitha and his fellow teachers were very aware of this and really made sure everybody was safe, not just their own students. They would scan who is around before pushing you off, and at times would even tell people who were a danger to others to go somewhere else, to ensure everybody’s safety.

When signing up, Lesitha told us the ratio teacher – student would be 1 teacher to max 2-3 student, however I had group lessons twice and it was more 1.5 student to 1 teacher and he is very fair. You pay for 75 minutes, but if it is a big group, he is allows the class to continue until everybody has done a few waves, which is why I am saying all the prices are quite similar.

My last 4 classes were private classes with Lesitha. My boyfriend is a good surfer and would join us and that worked out very well, because Lesitha would bring us to surf spots that were suitable for both of us and he would know very well (or would ask other teachers or tuk-tuk drivers) how the waves are that day and where the best spots are. The one day that I did not have a class, we went to Elephant Rock ourselves and it turned out to be a disaster.

I can only highly recommend Lesitha and his surf school Excellent, the whole experience just made our holiday. My surfing abilities have improved massively, I always felt safe, he is very careful and his instructions are clear, and he is just a real genuine nice guy, who loves surfing and teaching to surf. They are one of the few schools who have a teaching certification.

Lastly, this is not related to any surf activity, but this was so nice and just to highlight what a great person we think he is. When I asked him for a reference price for a taxi to the airport, just to compare what our hotel gave us, he actually offered to help us finding a taxi. Since locals get a much better price, the taxi he arranged for us was 15% cheaper. And on the day we left, he came to our hotel, just to make sure the taxi arrived to pick us up.

If you are in Arugambay and are thinking of taking surf classes, do it! It is much better priced, especially if I compare to the other regions I have been (Nicaragua, Indonesia, Costa Rica) and:
1) Surfing is not easy and understanding the basics makes it a lot more fun
2) Having somebody explain to you the rules, will ensure your safety and everybody else’s as well
3) Support the local surf schools, these guys work tremendously hard

Date of experience: August 2017
1  Thank JulesInNY
Reviewed 17 May 2018

In Arugam Bay our only goal was to take surf lessons for the first time ever. We both had experience in snowboarding, but didn't expect too much from our first time on a surfboard. We picked Excellent Surf School based on TA reviews and walked right into the office to book a lesson for the next day. Next morning Lesitha picked us up from our hotel and took us to a beginner friendly point. Lesitha is a very good and patient teacher. Our lesson consisted of 15 minutes of tips, exercises and safety instructions at the beach and roughly an hour in the water trying to catch the waves. After some confused paddling, falling from the board and tasting seawater we both managed to ride the waves. The feeling was so great as we didn't expect to make it even in that beginner spot. When we got back to Arugam Bay it was already very easy to recommend them to some people thinking about getting a lesson at the door. Thank you Lesitha!

Date of experience: May 2018
1  Thank ie_prt
Reviewed 7 May 2018

We had our best time in Sri Lanka with Excellent surf school teachers. They were like a second family and made our trip unforgettable. Dulip and Lesitha are the best surf teachers you could ever get! They teached a lot in the water and made every lesson fun and special. "Surfing is art. You have to feel the wave and then take it"- those were Dulips exact words. Dulip also made us feel very safe. He was like our protective angel. After surf we got to see the most beautiful parts of Arugam Bay. Remarkable sunsets, rock climbing and barbeque night were the highlights of our trip.
We will definitely come back. Thank you guys, see you soon!

Date of experience: April 2018