“Just Passing Through”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Julesburg
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Just Passing Through”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We were traveling with pets. Our room sported indoor/outdoor carpet, and the bare essentials for an overnight stay - the bed was comfortable, and the room was clean, if outdated. The woman at the front desk was polite but not necessarily friendly; we didn't go to the "Lounge." I'd recommend the Platte Valley Inn if, like us, you're just passing through!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank wags2wishes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Morton Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2012 via mobile

This is not a destination hotel, but if you need a room in this area, we were very happy with it. This is a basic room, with bare minimum amenities, but it was clean with a good bed and a good shower. There is an a restrauant there which we found to be surprisingly good, and it had a pool table which provided the evenings entertainment. The breakfast there was also decent. The only other place to eat there is a Subway.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Kathie W
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012 via mobile

Clean, rural roadside motel with comfortable bedding and a good mattress. We found the towels, surprising plush and the shower was a real treat! The motel is basic and without frills. Our only complaint is that the wireless internet connection did not work.

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank DenverGirl4
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We were travelling last year and had to stop here due to car troubles. The tow truck driver came in with us to the motel's front desk and gave the lady a wink and a nod. The sign out front said the rates were $55/night, but our basic rate was somehow $70+. I'm pretty sure the truck driver was getting a kickback on this. When the mechanic didn't have my vehicle ready on time, we asked if we could have a few extra hours in the room until he got it done. They were not understanding or helpful at all and threatened to charge us another nights rate as they were "too busy" (we only saw one other car in the lot). So we had to store our bags in the restaurant, and sat around the Flying J truckstop across the street until the vehicle was done. The room was fairly clean but way outdated, and the television was an old CRT that looked like it came from a thrift store. The reception was bad and only got 3 channels. There is absolutely nothing to do in Julesberg without a vehicle, and it was a very excruciating experience. Neither the restaurant or the pool were open when we were there.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Drunken_Beekeeper
Fishing Creek, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2011

I took a road trip in Summer 2011, which took me partially along the Pony Express route. I stayed at the Platte Valley Inn in Julesburg, CO, the location of a famous station on the route (and the only one in Colorado). There's not a whole lot to see here, but if you're on I-80, I'd say it's worth the two mile detour off the road.

I booked a room on the internet and the lady at the check in giggled a bit--there's never more than a few rooms taken during the summer, although it may be prudent to reserve one during hunting season. The town sits at the junction of I-76 and I-80, so I figured there may be a few more callers once the evening wore on (and there were, but not that many). The hotel has a nice little diner, but beware if you're there on a Sunday; more than likely, you'll find everything closed and the nearest place to eat will be in Big Springs, NE, about 12 miles away.

The rooms were plenty big, clean, and didn't feel like a run-down motel in the least. Large beds, comfortable mattresses, perhaps not the most exterior light I've ever seen in a place, but plenty of privacy, quiet walls, and I slept like a baby. For the price, not a bad deal at all. I'd recommend the Platte Valley Inn to road travelers in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: They're all about the same as far as I could tell, and there's no views to be had, really.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank ESVASpiderTerp
Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2009

We stayed there due to the interstate being closed. It is a motel, with outside doors and parking around it. We did not eat at the restaurant, so do not have an opinion on it.

The room itself had 2 beds, refrigerator and microwave which was nice. The bathroom area had a separate sink area and a lavatory, tub room. We were given no shampoo, but at least they gave us soap. There was a small coffee maker and tv with a small selection of stations.

The room was clean, and a welcome respite on a cold night. Although the kids did not like it much, it was one of those times that you can look back on and enjoy it as a twist in plans, and a great time to be together.

Next to the hotel is a truck stop, and did want to mention that as well. The food is comfort food, but quite good and the portions are huge. The chicken fried steak is my favorite, and very very good.

Would I stay here normally? No, but in a storm, with limited options and icy roads, it was a welcome sight.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank K T
Roseville, Minnesota, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2008

When you are by the Colorado and Nebraska border on I-76, there aren't many choices. This place met all our basic needs. Not fancy, but not a dump either. Just average. I laughed at the signs in the room telling you that it was against hotel management policies to clean game in the room. Apparently there must be bird hunting in the area during the season. I would stay at this place again if it worked out in a future trip. The price was also reasonable.

Stayed May 2004
3 Thank PoliticalTraveler

Been to Budget Host Platte Valley Inn? Share your experiences!