“Ski Tips Lodge is a Delight in Every Respect”
Review of Ski Tip Lodge

Ski Tip Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My husband and I just spent two nights at Ski Tips, the 150+-year old former stagecoach stop, and can't recommend it highly enough. The staff is absolutely outstanding in their desire to make you comfortable and happy. Dinner was pricey (though overnight guests enjoy a 15% discount) but delicious and the service impeccable. Dessert by the fire in the lounge was lovely (and what desserts they were!). Impossible to believe that the amazing breakfast offerings were included in the price of the room. Unfortunately, we didn't take advantage of the complementary mid-day snacks and afternoon "tea", but I wish we had. If you can't live without a tv don't stay here, but if you want a charming, delightful, peaceful experience -- it can't be beat. Minutes to the slopes of Keystone, and a shuttle runs every 20 minutes from right across the street.

Room Tip: Room # 7 ("Sunriose) is a corner room with private bath and a very comfy bed! Right over the di...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kabloom
There are newer reviews for Ski Tip Lodge

Reviewed 11 October 2012

I had a business dinner here quite a while ago. The ambience is nostalgic and cozy. I had the bison filet and my partner had the lamb cheeks. Both exquisite. Great flavor and perfectly prepared. We then had dessert in the main room with the fireplace, relaxing and talking. I would love to stay at the lodge with my husband because it seemed very romantic.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Ski Tip Lodge in Keystone, Colorado (Lodging)
We stayed at Ski Tip Lodge for three nights in June and really enjoyed our stay.

Originally built as a stagecoach stop in the 1880s and opened as the first ski lodge in the state in the 1940s, the lodge itself is a bit of an architectural mishmash: Part Swiss chalet, part log cabin, part Italian villa. Don’t be put off by that: Inside, it is simply a glorious log cabin, with hand-hewn log walls, picture windows overlooking a mountain pond, and huge fireplaces. The public rooms on the main floor are comfortable and full of character, perfect for relaxing at the end of the day. There is full bar service and a well-chosen and interesting wine list is also available.

The downside of staying at the Ski Tip Lodge is that it is old, with small, somewhat quirky guest rooms that are in need of updating. Our hot water was, perhaps, shared with the kitchen. Each morning, halfway through an otherwise perfect shower, the water would turn sizzling hot and stay that way. There was no changing it. My husband, showering in mid-morning after the kitchen had closed and most other guests were off for the day, never had this problem. (I think the diverter was broken, limiting the amount of cold water reaching the shower, as the faucet below didn’t have this extreme temperature problem.) Other quirks included a cabinet (the only place to put clothes) that would only stay closed when completely empty, leaving us dodging the edges of the door every time we needed to cross the room to, say, use the bathroom. The stairs and guest room halls are narrow and the tiny window had an uninspiring view of the roof and the parking lot. When we were there, internet access was not available. While clean and comfortable enough, the guest rooms are not high class accommodations.

But then, the real reason to stay here (besides those public rooms with the massive fireplaces) is the acclaimed restaurant. The breakfast included in the room rate is not to be missed, with a broad selection of items available, including a couple gourmet options cooked to order. There are always fresh cookies available, should one need a big of an energy lift during the day. However, the real highlight is the wonderful four-course fixed price dinner available in the lodge’s restaurant. Lodge guests get a 15% discount on dinner, which makes it a good value, and there is a three-course children’s menu available. The night we ate there the menu included two soup choices, two salad options, 4-6 meat and fish entrees, and another half dozen desserts. The beautifully prepared and presented meals consist mostly of traditional entrees given a fresh, modern flair. Servings are large and dessert is served either in the plain Jane dining room or in one of those wonderful public rooms with the log walls and antique furnishings. Wine pairings are also available, but are not eligible for the guest discount.

Both lodge and food/beverage service was excellent, with a staff that is competent, happy to be working here, and eager to please their guests. It feels a lot like being a guest in someone’s home.

The lodge is walking distance to the lifts at River Run and is served by the resort shuttle.

Even though the guest rooms aren’t anything special, I would gladly stay here again just for the ambiance and the restaurant discount. It’s a chance to live in a piece of history for a few days and to eat very, very well while doing so.

Room Tip: Rooms above the dining room tend to be noisier.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at the Ski Tip for a family reunion with our niece and in-laws. We stayed here ten years ago and can unequivocally say that this property has only gotten better. Even though it's part of the Keystone megaresort, it's a world away from the corporatization of the mountain resort. The restaurant is a great opportunity to have an extraordinary meal. Guests receive 15% off dinner and breakfast is included. There's also a quaint cookie jar with homebaked cookies.

The service was incredible. It was personalized without being intrusive and prompt. The sommelier is fun to talk with about her vast wine experiences and she made our niece's 21st birthday special with suggestions for newbie wine drinkers.

If you're looking for an authentic Colorado mountain experience with a quiet getaway - this is it.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We had dinner for four in the 65+year old inn. Excellent meal and presentation. Try the tenderloin. Dessert in the lodge in front of the cozy fireplace. Very attentive staff. Range of wine options with extensive wine menu. Overall expensive but well worth it.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Pro: The location is great, the building is homey and definitely perfect environment for a winter vacation, the living room is perfect for reading a book, the staff were friendly
Con: They serve dinner on the premise and some of the rooms are directly over the dining area. We had a long day of skiing and wanted to ski early the next day, so were hoping to get some sleep. I am not sure if there was a party but when we trying to sleep, it felt as though the people eating were sitting in the bed with us. This continued off and on until 11pm. My other major issue was that the shower temperature came in two options only- scalding hot or freezing cold. It was to the point where my wife refused to take a shower, and I resorted to the bird bath technique. The breakfast was okay but not anything special.

Overall, I really wanted to like this place because it is a nice concept at a big ski resort to and the prior reviews were so glowing, but it was a bad experience. Maybe I am just tired because I hardly slept last night in their room. However, having stayed elsewhere in the Keystone area, my personal feeling is that you can do better for your money.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room that is not over the dining area
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TylerDurden2611
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Ski Tip Lodge was amazing from the management to the food to the accomodations. I was there on business but I felt like I was on a vacation after work hours! Sitting in a comfy chair by the window reading a book from their shelf, ordered a glass of wine with the fireplace going, amazing!
I want to come back with my fiancé! Charming, romantic, great breakfast I had such a wonderful experience, thank you! Check out my blogspot for pictures from my trip!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Xtina1101
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Keystone Lodge & Spa
#2 of 6 in Keystone
Lakeside Village
Lakeside Village
#2 of 32 in Keystone

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!