“I wouldn't recommend”

Ranked #1 of 2 Keystone B&B and Inns
Florida
“I wouldn't recommend”
Reviewed 15 February 2007

The place is not worst place but its definitly not wonderful either. I think the value is lacking for the price. The bathrooms definitly need to be remodeled. The room is extremely tiny. The shower experience is the worst shower since I lived in Brasil. Its a guessing game as to if you will be scorched or frozen to death by the water. It was a very long shower jumping in and out of the water every twenty seconds. The one plus is the amazing goose down blankets. They were so nice to have when you are tired and frozen from the skiing. However the big white stain on the comforter cover was a bit nauseating. My husband and I were very excited the night we checked in to try dinner at their restaurant. Before breakfast we decided that we would eat dinner at the lodge for our big night out. After eating two bites of the breakfast we quickly changed our minds. If you want to a good night out go to the KEYSTONE RANCH for dinner...the food and ambiance was exactly what I was looking for!!! If you go to Keystone do not miss it! I am pretty sure that I would and could overlook all of the other details if the ski tip lodge was not missing a very important ingredient that most B&B's offer...charm. The place felt cold, and no it wasn't becuase it was 12 degrees outside. While the staff was nice they weren't exactly thrilled to help you. In most B&B's there is a time in the afternoon when most of the guests will come down to the meeting area and the hosts will arrange a little meet and great or something to that effect. The people at this lodge were way to busy preparing for the dinner rush that the people who were congregating in the area were brushed aside. Trying to find someone who would bring you a hot chocolate or a glass of wine took about twenty minutes. Also when I came back from skiing I expected to see a nice roaring fire in either one of the gorgeous fireplaces. Of course they were not lit and I had to hunt someone down to light one. B&B's are usually a bit rustic and run down but what they don't have in ammenities they have in charm...I just don't feel like there was any charm or attention given to guests. I would just recommend staying away from this place

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 19 January 2007

My husband and I have stayed here twice - once in March 2005, and once in March 2004. I have just started using Trip Advisor again, so thought I'd add our review.

First, I have to say that the previous poster from England must have had a very unfortunate experience; this is most likely the exception, though, and not the rule. We found the B&B to be charming, and loved the ambience. The staff is very helpful, too; the front desk manager even offered me the name of a recommended chiropractor in the area when I injured myself skiing. (And yes, he was excellent!)

Rooms:
As for the rooms, no, they are not the largest hotel rooms, nor are they the newest. I'm not sure what the previous poster was referring to re: "antiques", but the rooms are generally well appointed. The bathrooms could use a bit of updating, but it's nothing terrible, just older tile and countertops. The rest of the B&B and the ambience more than makes up for it, IMHO. Also, some of the rooms are definitely nicer than others; it is worthwhile to contact the front desk before you make your booking, and talk to them about the various room types.

Ex: Our first stay in 2004, we were in a downstairs room with not much of a view (very small window.) Not a big deal, but for 2005 I called and requested a room with a view of the patio and mountain area, and the room was much nicer! So, just be aware that there are different room types, and they will try to help you out if you have a specific request.

Food:
We enjoyed breakfast each morning. However, if the B&B needs a new chef, that could be a problem, but we had no complaints while we were there. In fact, the breakfasts were outstanding! Mascarpone cheese stuffed French Toast, elaborate omelettes, etc.

Also, I'm not sure if they still do this, but they used to have complimentary afternoon tea, which was a nice treat. We would go skiing in the morning until mid-afternoon, come back for a rest and for tea, and then go back for night skiing. (Night skiing is only in spring, though.) They have a wonderful "great room" where you can sit by the fire, or next to the huge picture windows, and watch Keystone Mountain.

They also have a "hidden" cookie jar at the top of the stairs that's kept filled - great for a late night snack!

The restaurant serves a special 4 course dinner nightly, (we never ate there, though) and the dinner guests usually enjoy their desserts in the great room or the second "fireplace room", making for a kind of festive atmosphere each evening. We liked it, anyway! Everyone was always quite friendly.

Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B, especially for couples or groups of adults. It might not be so great for children, however, as there are no activities for them - but I also say that b/c we did get tired of hearing the little kids run up and down the stairs next to our room early in the morning! There happened to be a family staying there for a couple of days, and the kids were a bit wild.

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps!

Stayed March 2005
6 Thank Hummingbird3721
sussex
Reviewed 18 August 2006

Truly Diabolical.

I have only ever written reviews of accommodation which exceeds standards.
Never one of a terrible experience, However,
This was, without a shadow of doubt, the worst lodging experience I have ever had in The U.S.A.
I first lodged at Ski Tip in 1984 and have been back there a few times since.
In January 2006 we were shown to the smallest bedroom, despite all other rooms being free.
previously old antique furniture was prominent. Now this has been removed and replaced with old tattered garage sale rejects.
The excuse given for allocating the smallest & hottest room was that the computer chose it!

We had always eaten in the evening at Ski Tip. Expensive but worthwhile
US$250 later (for 2) overcooked scallop & tough steak is the finest accolade I could give to the best parts of the meal.
(a keystone taxi driver confirmed that they were still advertising for a chef)
The worst was to come.
The breakfast, normally of high acclaim,was disastrous.
My wife refused the cooked breakfast to the condition of the fried egg, the waitress came back and advised that the 'chef' demanded to know what was wrong
He was incapable of telling the difference between an edible fried egg and one that contained a half developed chicken foetus swimming in it's own blood.

despite letters & e-mails to Vail resorts & keystone on the above subject no answer has been received

• Liked — its position
  • Disliked — the bedrooms
  • Tips/Secrets — check with trip advisor first
  • Stayed January 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
7 Thank travellerbazza
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 30 March 2006

We were so pleasantly surprised with this charming B&B! You can't beat the atmosphere with the amazing scenery outside and the cozy charm inside. You have the feeling of being secluded from the world, but it is so convenient, just minutes away from the slopes. The bed was so comfortable, the breakfast was great, and the people there were genuine and friendly. We will definitely return.

• Stayed March 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newport Beach
Reviewed 30 March 2004

It's a beautiful, intimate place that seats about 15 people. Although the meal is 4 courses, the food in light and delicious. The menu changes every day, but ask the waitress if you can get the apple pie with cinnamon ice-cream!

4 Thank Alinachka
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 August 2003

I found this place on the web at the last minute and was so, so pleased with it. It is an old stagecoach stop right near Keystone resort, which is filled with stuff to do in the summer. The place is so charming - it's right next to a beautiful pond, wildflowers everywhere, has a dedicated staff, serves a wonderful breakfast (billed as continental but it was much more), has a huge fireplace that they use even in the summer evenings, and has a restaurant that serves a fabulous, gourmet meal (two seatings each evening). In the morning you can have breakfast outside or in their great room, then walk to Keystone (River Run) to hike, shop, or listen to music. They have books everywhere and the staff is so helpful in planning activities. You also get a passport for summer adventure which allows you to take the gondola up for free, free flyfishing lessons, free kayaking, free bike riding, free classes, and more! I will long remember my weekend at the Ski Tip Lodge!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Keystone
Keystone Lodge & Spa
Mountain Thunder Lodge
Mountain Thunder Lodge
#11 of 23 in Breckenridge
DoubleTree by Hilton Breckenridge

Been to Ski Tip Lodge? Share your experiences!