All reviewsfamily vacationevery mealhorseback ridingwhite water raftingcattle drivecaramel cornskeet shootingloved every minutesocial clubthe entire staffthe barnwhole experienceping pongfeel comfortableamazing scenerythe kitchen staffboard games
Reviewed 29 June 2016

20 plus years ago I spent a week on a Colorado dude ranch with my grandfather and had such a great time that the urge to do it again had been in the back of my mind ever since. I finally convinced my wife and teenage daughter that this would be a week they would thoroughly enjoy. I spent a lot of time researching all the various dude ranches in Colorado and Wyoming and finally settled on Latigo. Must say that I was quite nervous that my wife and daughter would not enjoy it as much as I had many years ago! Well.........THEY LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT LATIGO AND WANT TO RETURN AS SOON AS WE CAN! The owners, Jim & Kathy and Randy & Lisa are simply wonderful people that we enjoyed getting to know. The food is not what you would expect at a 'ranch'.....it was 5 star level. Every meal was well planned and simply delicious. You won't go hungry. The ranch staff..........outstanding! Smiling faces everywhere and you can tell they all love what they do. The cabin we had was comfortable and clean. I could go on and on. You want the perfect dude ranch vacation.......GO TO LATIGO RANCH. Jerry from Ohio

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

The dude ranch tradition of gracious hospitality stands the test of time. Thanks for choosing Latigo, and we hope to see you again next summer.

Reviewed 1 December 2015

Latigo Ranch is beautiful - great people, great food, great scenery and wonderful horses! Latigo is an escape from reality - a great mix between adventure, relaxation and indulgence! The owners and their staff take care of you like family - highly recommended! We continue to make this an annual destination!

Stayed: October 2015
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2015

We delight in and are honored by the friendships we build over the years with families like yours who come back time and again. Next summer is already starting to book up. So make your reservation soon. It will be a great time.

Reviewed 5 September 2015

Our family just spent the week at Latigo Ranch and it was the most incredible experience we have ever had! We HIGHLY recommend it!! The food was absolutely incredibly delicious...every single meal, every single day!! The ranch was in a breath-taking setting high in the Rockies. Our cabin was very comfortable for our family of 5 and we enjoyed the wood-burning stove in the sitting room. The wranglers and other staff were professional, patient, courteous and friendly. The horses were well-trained and we loved getting to ride the same horse every day on gorgeous trails. Our kids were in heaven every day as they rode horses, fished for rainbow trout, and played with the new friends they made. Great family atmosphere in every respect...I could go on and on but will just close by saying that our week at Latigo was absolutely fantastic and we would do it again in a heartbeat!!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family

We certainly enjoyed having your whole family here. Seeing kids having a great time on horseback warms our hearts. We look forward to having you all back again soon.

Reviewed 3 September 2015

What can I say, other than amazing, perfect, wonderful??? There isn't a bad thing that I can say about our stay at Latigo. I'm not sure what I expected. I know that my husband had no expectations and was wondering why I wanted to go to a Dude Ranch. At first, he kept saying that he was missing our normal vacation to Hawaii, but by the end, we both thoroughly enjoyed it.

Latigo is perfect for everyone. At the beginning, we were concerned that we were the only couple there for the week. Everyone else had children between 6-12 years old. I think that we had a phenomenal group of very well behaved kids, but regardless, Latigo goes out of their way to take care of the kids, giving them their own experience and treating them really special -- to the point where the parents were wishing that they could see more of their children! The kids all bonded immediately and were grouped together by age/ability for their own rides with the same wrangler all week. As long as they were capable riders, they were even allowed to trot and lope, just like the adults. The kids ate at a "kids table" with a wrangler at lunch and dinner -- unless it was a meal with a ride. They even take the kids on a special "Ute Scout" overnight. In between activities, the kids had free run of the ranch. I'm not saying that I appreciated this all because I didn't have kids of my own. I was able to watch how much the kids enjoyed their new friends, how much they all bonded with their wranglers, and how much fun they were all having. They weren't left out of anything except the overnight pack trip and clay pigeon shooting.

The horses were terrific! These are not the typical "mane to tail" horses that have no spirit and just plod along behind the horse in front. They know the routine but they definitely have minds of their own! Everyone will be allowed to walk, trot, or lope as their capabilities allow. The wranglers teach you proper riding form and let you progress as you demonstrate control of your horse. They have just over 80 horses and I think that everyone was really pleased with how well they paired horses to riders. They are all well trained and cared for.

The owners and staff are like one big family (many of them are family or friends of family or each other). They welcome everyone in as an extension of that family. No one feels left out. This is not a huge resort/ranch. At maximum, they can host about 40 people. We had 31, with 16 of those being kids 12 or under. It was perfect. You really get to know everyone and make friends with each other. If you aren't a social person, you might not enjoy it. This isn't a place where you go do an activity with some random group of people and then go back to your cabin and never really get to know anyone because you do different things with a different random group the next day. The small group size allows for the staff and all of the guests to get to know each other.

Latigo runs like a well oiled machine. They have fine tuned everything so that you get the full range of Dude Ranch experiences without having to make a choice between things. You eat, ride, eat, ride, and eat again -- with other things sprinkled in.

- Arrive Sunday: Wagon ride to your cabin, ice cream greeting welcome, appetizers with the owners, dinner, and orientation.
- Monday: Horsemanship introduction, meet your horse for the week, short ride to see how you match with your horse, lunch, afternoon ride (about 2-2.5 hrs), dinner, followed by cowboy "skills" training (bull whips, tomahawk throwing, archery, roping).
- Tuesday: Morning ride (2-2.5 hrs), lunch, BB gun or .22 target shooting, early dinner, evening ride (2 hrs).
- Wednesday: Either plan on morning and afternoon rides with lunch at the ranch, or pack a lunch and depart for the All Day Ride or if you don't have children under 11 years old, you can opt for the Overnight Pack Trip (led by Jim) which is included for no extra charge.
Thursday: If you did the overnight, ride back in. Otherwise, morning rides. After lunch, the kids leave for "Ute Scouts" and the adults go clay pigeon shooting or take another ride. Dinner and then the dance. Line dance until you can't stand up straight anymore. The kids come back for the dance.
Friday: River rafting or head out and round up cattle as a large group. Lunch, followed by Team Cattle Penning. Farewell BBQ dinner and then you get to make a brand for your family and burn it into the Lodge wall!
Saturday: Morning ride to breakfast and then return straight back or take your last long ride back. Lunch. And then head out.

Allow 3 hrs to get to the airport. DO NOT cut things tight and cut short the breakfast ride on Saturday morning. Plan to leave after lunch (around 12:30 at the earliest, which means to plan for a 3:30 or later flight if you can). That last ride is really the culmination of your stay. It was a longer ride and we got to see a lot. Plus, if you do the overnight, you don't get many chances to learn to lope since you are at walk first, then you go for a ride or two to get comfortable trotting, then you can't do much on the overnight rides out and back since you are going through trees and up/down the mountainside, and then there is the cattle penning. That left the final morning to get to lope. I would have been disappointed if I didn't have that chance.

The Overnight Pack Trip.... We were the only ones who could do it given the age minimum. After doing it, I completely agree with the age limit. This is not an easy ride and it can be a very long night. Think hard about whether your older kids (and you!) really are ready for it. We were led by Jim and accompanied by two other wranglers, and two pack horses -- more go as needed based on group size. We rode about 2-2.5 hours in the morning, had about a 1.5 hr lunch/nap in a flower meadow, and then rode another 1.5 hours or so until we came to another meadow and Jim announced that it would be "home." The trail is where ever Jim takes you! There are horse and game trails and then there aren't. It was a technical ride requiring you to pay attention as you weave through trees and up and down slopes. You definitely cannot rely on your horse following the horse in front of you. It is up to you to keep up and work to guide your horse. When we got to camp, they unpacked the horses and fenced them in for the night, we set up camp (two person tents) and the cooking area, had some down time with rice krispy treats, brownies, and raspberry "lard bars", and then Jim cooked up dinner (meat, veggies, and potatoes with seasoning of your choice boiled over the small cooking fire) along with tea, coffee, and hot chocolate. After dinner, you retire to your tent. We lucked out and the rain hit as soon as we got in our tent. But it rained most of the night and a little during the ride back in the morning. We were also lucky that it was not freezing cold. Jim and Randy are very open about it normally freezing on the overnight and have many stories to tell. It can be very cold and wet at 10,000' and that means frost and ice. Plan for it to be COLD and then be glad if it isn't. This is not an activity for you if you aren't ready to possibly deal with that. With all of that said, I AM SO GLAD that we did it. I would do it again. Even being the only people who went, we never felt like it was an imposition.

Cattle Drive: So much fun! You can river raft other places. Where else are you going to get to ride out and round up 25 cows and their calves? Pick the cattle drive!

The food is top notch! Made to order breakfast or just have yogurt and every topping you might possibly imagine. Lunch was sandwiches, burger BBQ, pizza, burritos and all of the fixings. There were always cookies of some variety or rice treats available in the afternoon. Dinners were a choice of red meat (prime rib, duck, venison, steaks), fish, or veggie (the simple tomato tart was superb!). Thursday night is always Thanksgiving (turkey or ham and all of the fixings). Every meal had amazing desserts, courtesy of Spencer! They were a vision and easily some of the best desserts that I have ever had -- anywhere! You will be stuffed. They also prepare "kid friendly" meals -- just put in a request ahead of time and they will make pasta, burgers, hot dogs, pizza, etc. for them. Alcohol is available for purchase. Water, tea, lemonade, coffee are all available. Milk and every juice you could want. The refrigerator in the room would be refilled with soda. However, if you are a soda drinker, they seemed to have more regular soda vs. diet soda and I know that I drank through their supply of Diet Coke with having one at lunch and dinner each day. Bad habit, but oh well. If you are a big soda drinker, you might want to let them know ahead of time. And there is carmel corn refilled every day in your room too.

Pool, hot tub, pool table, foosball, ping pong, and a couple pianos that can be used any time. And yes, no TV. We did get 4G service with Verizon. Some had luck with AT&T. T-Mobile, not so fortunate. They do have WiFi, but it was spotty and slow. Regular fishing in the Kids Pond for the kids -- 2 fish per family per day maximum if caught by the kids. Fly fishing (catch and release) for adults. The rainbow trout were biting. 4 kids caught fish on Day One without much effort. One adult tried fly fishing and caught several.

They do offer half week stays - but I would recommend the full week. One family came mid-week and it seems like it would have been hard to come in without all of the initial "warm up" riding that we had done. If you came at the beginning of the week and left early, you would be leaving just as you started to get comfortable with your horse.

There is so much more that I could say, but the bottom line is... JUST GO!

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
5  Thank CADogShowTraveler
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2015

We are privileged to live in an amazing place and to share amazing adventures with our guests. Thanks for your great comments, your review of your week, and your helpful tips. We certainly hope many interesting folks will heed your command to Just Go!

Reviewed 30 August 2015

We just got back from an amazing week at Latigo Ranch. I am not even sure how to begin! My family has a diverse riding background. My husband rode horses and worked in a barn growing up and my daughter (8 years old) has been riding since she was 4. I grew up in the city and truly a city slicker. My son (10 years old) has no interest in horses prior to this trip. After spending a week at Latigo, we were all able to ride, trot, and lope. My children are begging to come back next year. They both want to work as wranglers at Latigo. I told Randy that he needs to start a wranglers in training summer program.

Apart from the beautiful location, which you will appreciate once you start riding, what makes this place truly special is the people. The owners, wranglers, and staff make you feel like you are part of their family. They limit the participants to about 30, so we also get to know and bond with other families.

Accommodation: We had a 3 bedroom cabin. As expected for a dude ranch experience, it is not a 5 star luxurious hotel like the Ritz Carlton, but it is very comfortable and clean. The cabins are cleaned every day. Stay away from their home made caramel popcorn, because they are super addicting! Once you start, you cannot stop. Oh, they do refill the jar with fresh caramel popcorn every day.

Activities: Horse back riding is the primary focus, but you have other activities to choose from as well. The owners and the wranglers know their horses (over 80 of them) and know how to match the horse with your skills and interests. You have the same horse for the entire week. You get to ride about twice a day.

I strongly recommend the all day ride on Wednesday. If you love camping or want to try camping, go on an overnight adventure with Jim. On Friday morning, you have a choice of white water rafting or rounding up the cattle. Go with the rounding up the cattle. It was so much fun and a unique experience. Do not miss the Saturday morning ride to breakfast. The view is breath taking and the breakfast is amazing.

The wranglers are all amazing with both children and adults. They make sure that you are safe and the horses are safe. The ratio is about 3 to 5 riders per wrangler and you are grouped by your comfort level with riding. My daughter (the most experienced rider in my family) was with the advance riders and my son was with his newly found friends with similar skills. I started riding with a beginner group, but progressed to be able to ride with my husband for most of the week (without the kids!). Since the children always want to be with their friends for all the activities, Jim and Randy planned family rides!

Don't miss the western dance lead by Kathie. Apparently, the wranglers have to learn all the dances at the beginning of the season too! It was a great party for guests and the staff.

The weather was great through out the week, except for our evening ride. We still rode in the rain and they had rain slickers to keep us dry. We had a great time even riding in the rain. No one complained.

A few tips, they have boots and hats in many different styles and sizes for you to borrow for the week. Make sure that you have sunscreen, lip balms, and hand lotion. I brought insect repellent, but never used it. It is very dry high up in the mountains. Bring different layers of clothing and jeans. We needed fleece and sweat shirts for the morning rides and evening rides. Don't bring too much because they have a washer and dryer (free) for the guests, if they chose to do their own laundry.

Food: Amazing! Hannah makes the best breakfast (cook to order) every morning. Spencer makes the most amazing gourmet dessert. All the meals are freshly prepared and wonderful. We were never hungry. They are also very accommodating to guests with allergies. They give you a water bottle on the first day. They have water, ice tea, lemonade stations at the lodge. Unless you mandate your family to sit together, chances are your children will sit at the children's table with one or two wranglers. All we could hear was laughter and giggles coming from their table.

We have vacationed in many places around the world, and Latigo Ranch is now one of our favourite places and we look forward to returning soon.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank agnesc660
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2015

What a great time we had with your family last week. We really appreciated your vivacious approach to life and sincerely look forward to having all of you return soon.