All reviewsfamily vacationevery mealhorseback ridingwhite water raftingcattle drivecaramel cornskeet shootingloved every minutesocial clubthe entire staffthe barnwhole experienceping pongfeel comfortableamazing scenerythe kitchen staffboard games
Reviewed 3 August 2016

My family (myself, my husband, my 9 year old son, 6 year old daughter, and 11 year old family friend) just spend a week at Latigo and we all wish we were still there. The whole experience was wonderful, from the greeting at the gate with covered wagon ride to the ranch and the breakfast ride the morning of check out.
The staff were incredibly friendly, kind, welcoming, and interesting. The owners (Jim, Kathie, Randy, and Lisa) are experts at what they do, and must be incredibly busy yet were always happy to stop and chat. They have some amazing stories! The made it a point to visit with different guests at dinner every night.
The wranglers and kids counselors were just wonderful. They helped a person who was terrified to ride at all (that would be me) feel so comfortable that by the end of the week I had trotted and loped (as did my whole family) and cried when I said goodbye to my horse. The wrangler John was especially great with my son and his friend. He was always patient and kind and really took the time to get to know them. My 9 year old wants to be just like John and work at Latigo when he grows up. Katie was so sweet to my daughter and very patient when my little chatterbox was talking her ear off.
The cabins were simple, clean,and very comfortable. Nothing too fancy, but it didn't need to be! We spent very little time there except for sleeping. Was nice to walk in and eat some of the caramel popcorn though.
We all loved the cowboy skills session. The boys especially liked the target shooting that was offered on another day. All 3 children went on the Ute scout overnight trip and had a blast. Even those that said they'd never square dance had a great time dancing. The wranglers do a dance at the end that is very impressive. I went on the nature hike with Jim and learned so much neat stuff. Definitely looked at the plants in the pastures and woods differently after that.
The food was great! Everything was fresh and delicious, and the vast majority homemade. The japanese steak sauce was especially amazing. Sweet Lisa saw us taking one last picture of our brand on the wall as we were leaving and gave up a bag of warm homemade cookies for the road. They were so delicious it almost caused fight amongst the kids in the car.
Best part - the horses and the VIEWS! When we sent a few pics to friends during the week we'd get responses like "Is that a painting? You've got to frame that!" The trails through the ranch and Arapho national forest are unbelievable. We started out taking pictures of everything but had to stop because there were so many beautiful vistas we could never have done justice to them all in pictures. I don't know how they match the horses and riders but they do an outstanding job. We were all very comfortable on our respective horses.
The cattle drive was a blast. Such a great feeling to be working together with your family and the friends you've made over the week bringing the cattle in. You feel like a real wrangler!
We've now been home for 4 sad days and are already talking about when we can go back. Highly encourage anyone, but especially families, to go! We really felt like the trip was a great value considering how much is included. We miss you Latigo!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2016

We are delighted that you had such a great time. We are grateful to have a staff that loves what they do and sincerely enjoys helping all of our guests have a wonderful ranch experience. I'll let John know how much you appreciated him. We certainly hope to see you again next summer.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

This is our 4th trip from Sydney Australia to Latigo, a horse riding ranch in Colorado. It is definitely worth the trip!
1. The food is exceptional - all meals are in the main dining area, and you get the great opportunity to mix with other guests, who are from parts far and wide. The food is plenty, and of very high quality. Some of the desserts are world class! The breakfast on the last day, when you ride to a plateau and sit and eat a magnificent breakfast in the wide open land, with views for many miles, is a highlight.
2. The ranch has a maximum of about 30 guests, so that you get real personal attention for all aspects of your stay.
3. The horses are extremely well trained. They are much more than "stay in line" horses - they will react to your instructions. You are allocated a horse for the week that suits your experience, and can grow with you during the week.
4. Safety is a big aspect of riding at Latigo.
5. The mountain scenery is absolutely beautiful. Many of the views are breathtaking. The views form each of the accommodation cabins are - Wow!.
6. The riding can be as challenging as you can cope with, lead by wonderful wranglers - getting to know the wranglers is a great part of the fun. All groups that you ride in are small, ie maybe 3 or 4 people, and therefore you feel very safe, and have more fun.
6. There is lots of wildlife to see - dear, antelope, bears, elk, and others.
7. The dance night is an absolute fun night - staff and guests mix, and every face has a smile.
8. Guests include lots of families, and getting to know the other guests is a highlight of the experience. Every time that we have visited we meet some great people, and hear lots of stories.
9. The owners run the place magnificently, and their high standards are evident in everything about Latigo.

The week goes so fast - there is plenty to keep you involved, and you leave planning your next visit!

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

It is always a treat for us to have you spend time here. We know that it is a long journey to come all the way from Australia, but we are glad you do. Thanks for being guests and friends.

Reviewed 24 July 2016 via mobile

Out of every vacation I have ever been on, this one tops the list. The staff is over the top amazing. The food is gourmet and divine. There are activities for every age level. It is definitely centered around horseback riding, but they accommodate beginners and total Cowboys. The staff plays with the kids and they never seem to be in a bad mood. The cabins are private. It takes awhile to get there from Denver, but it's worth the drive. A ++++++++

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracyv1111

Your family was terrific. What a great week we had together. Thanks for becoming part of the Latigo Ranch family.

Reviewed 23 July 2016

Fabulous food, great and caring staff, beautiful and well trained horses. Includes shooting , river rafting, overnight pack out , riding twice a day. Pool, hot tub, western dance night, cookouts , completely all inclusive, except for liquor.

Room Tip: You get a private cabin.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
LatigoRandy, Owner at Latigo Dude Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2016

It's our experience over the years that our guests prefer to not be thinking about what's included and what's extra. We're glad you had a great stay.

Reviewed 29 June 2016

20 plus years ago I spent a week on a Colorado dude ranch with my grandfather and had such a great time that the urge to do it again had been in the back of my mind ever since. I finally convinced my wife and teenage daughter that this would be a week they would thoroughly enjoy. I spent a lot of time researching all the various dude ranches in Colorado and Wyoming and finally settled on Latigo. Must say that I was quite nervous that my wife and daughter would not enjoy it as much as I had many years ago! Well.........THEY LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT LATIGO AND WANT TO RETURN AS SOON AS WE CAN! The owners, Jim & Kathy and Randy & Lisa are simply wonderful people that we enjoyed getting to know. The food is not what you would expect at a 'ranch'.....it was 5 star level. Every meal was well planned and simply delicious. You won't go hungry. The ranch staff..........outstanding! Smiling faces everywhere and you can tell they all love what they do. The cabin we had was comfortable and clean. I could go on and on. You want the perfect dude ranch vacation.......GO TO LATIGO RANCH. Jerry from Ohio

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family

The dude ranch tradition of gracious hospitality stands the test of time. Thanks for choosing Latigo, and we hope to see you again next summer.