“Poor service” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Houston
“Poor service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

This hotel was a disappointment. Upon check-in at 11PM after a weary flight, I find the receptionist’s attitude to be nonchalant and disgruntled. When asked if there’s club lounge in the hotel for SPG Platinum member, she merely muttered it’s not open now. I didn’t get upgraded to the 12th floor rooms for Platinum member either. The next morning when I tried to access the lounge, the key won’t work. It turned out she didn’t even give me access to the club lounge. I had to get another receptionist who was nice enough to rekey and apologize for that. The room was worn as well with weird bathroom configuration having a sink outside the bathroom. I’m very disappointed with this hotel and will not be returning again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yuantsai
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, 1 October 2013
We are sorry that we couldn't accommodate this guest's request for an upgrade to the Club floor. While we're not sure if this guest is a Platinum level SPG guest (anonymous review that wasn't filed through the SPG service channel where we could actually assist the guest instead of respond to a complaint), we do know that we bend over backwards to accommodate this level of SPG guest because they are our most loyal customers. Platinum level guests are always entitled to upgrades when available and can guarantee availability through our special service channels.

Of course our restroom sinks are not "outside the bathroom". Most guests consider the restrooms to be a superior design because the sink is in a separate area from the toilet/shower allowing more room to get ready for the day or one person to use the mirror/sink while another is using the facilities.

We will wish this guest better experiences elsewhere.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Huntington Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Platinum member in town for a funeral service for my grandfather.
I arrived around 1:30 pm and the room was not available due to unanticipated overcrowding caused by a local concert. Instead of being consolatory in their approach, the front desk staff was curt and unprofessional. "Not ready, come back later, nothing we can do" Normally, when this situation occurs, they still check us in, with the room reserved and check your bags until it is available. The staff did not want to even begin the check-in process.
Upon return, check in for me was smooth, but not so for my family, where their reservation was somehow lost. Front desk blamed an external reservation system, but when my Step-mother provided documentation from the SPG site, the front desk was dumbfounded. The front desk did provide two rooms for my family, but the confusion and new reservation process took over 20 minutes.
Arrived in my 11th floor SPG room. During my one night stay encountered the following problems. The first was a broken bathroom light. The second was an air conditioning fan that began to smoke and required me to turn it off. After the water in the shower failed to warm up in a few minutes, I called and spoke to the front desk, who let me know that I needed to wait 15 minutes and then call them back. If it didn't heat up they'd get me another room to shower in. After about 10 minutes (literally) I had hot water. I did not have any shampoo, but instead two bath gels. The room itself was not adorned to typical Sheraton fashion, and the condition of maintenance definitely does not deserve the "Sheraton" brand (sink in the hallway, very tiny bathroom space, 60s fashion plumbing hardware).
The most disturbing aspect of the trip was the noisy neighbors in the room next to me. The concert must have ended and the room next to me arrived at 1:30. At around 2:30, called the front desk due to their noise. There were at least 5 individuals in the rooms who's conversation was easily discernible from my room. This property has very thin walls.
My neighbors continued to speak through the evening. Around 4:00 am I called down again. The female at the front desk said security went up previously and didn't hear anything. I was confused, but then she said, they will go up and give them a final warning. From "no noise was heard" to "give them a final warning" I had no idea if the front desk staff ever investigated the noisy neighbor problem. Upon check out at 6am the gentleman at the front desk was empathetic and said he was the individual that went up to tell the room to be quiet two hours earlier. He did display compassion, but did not offer any restitution for ALL the above complaints which were politely pointed out to him.
Lastly, I prefer email communications of my bill. I used the business area to print out my boarding pass, and was told I would have 4 free pages, and additional pages would be billed at .04 cents a page. I printed out 1 page for a boarding pass on Southwest, well within my free four page limit. Somehow, I was charged $1.20 for my 5 minute use and one page being printed. Avoid using the business center.
I would not recommend this hotel and would encourage SPG to look into the management of it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank HB_FREQUENT_TRAVELER
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
It is unfortunate that this guest has taken this position. Numerous team members tried to help this guest have a better experience during his difficult time and we understand that he was in pain because of his grandfather's passing. His accounts of the stay are simply not true and he has refused to respond to us directly.

We will wish him and his family peace.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

Service is pretty much everything and these staff went out of their way to help with everything, including a disaster in the microwave!

The rooms top Sherton standard, comfortable and clearn
Hotel restaurant served some of the best calamari I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a lot.
Would highly recommend this hotel for anyone in the area!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Pheephox
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to tell us that you enjoyed your experience. We pride ourselves in our friendly service, clean rooms and the warm connected community experience we provide.

We too love La Cave restaurant and I agree that their calamari is the best I've ever eaten.

We'll look forward to your return and thank you very much for your kind words and business.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was only here one night but I was mostly happy with my stay. The best part about the property was the fitness center-great equipment that was clean, in good working order with variety. The indoor pool looked nice, smallish but nice view from it. The restaurant was far better than I would expect, I ended up eating both lunch and dinner there. The property is older and feels it in the hallways but the rooms are more updated. My only issue was that I asked for a quiet room and was put in a room that connected to another. I realized this when I returned to my room before dinner and found that there was a party in the room adjoining mine from which I could hear every word. They moved me without complaint, but in a hotel this large that clearly wasn't full, why choose that room to put me in? And there was water damage in that room, why even use it? The location was useful for my needs but probably not somewhere I would stay while vacationing in Denver.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Thank you for your comments. We're glad that you enjoyed our Sheraton Fitness programmed by Core Performance as well as the beautiful La Cave restaurant.

We hope that you addressed the issues listed while you were still here so that we could address them with the attention they deserve.
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

My wife and I were just back from San Diego from a meeting as the horrific Boulder floods were gushing.

We live up in the Colorado mountains and could not get home due to road closures and the collapse of all infrastructure. Needless to say, we were distraught.

We traveled over to Lakewood,Colorado and found open arms at this hotel.

First of all, thanks to Guest Services -- particuarly, Paul Aguiar, director of sales and marketing, as we were assisted beyond the norm, much to our relief.

I found this hotel not only a big assist from flood waters - but an A-1 place to be.

First of all the room was spacious and we enjoyed a great meal at the hotel's La Cave on the lobby level.

The bar was great - as was the food - top notch. The music via a guitar-strumming entertainer just added to the calming nature of the hotel. Kudos all around. A big help in preparing us to deal with the unexpected up in our mountain home.

We had to keep on top of our work, so the Link@Sheraton spot was ideal. What a great spot in the hotel lobby - can't go wrong there.

Overall, our unexpected stay at this hotel turned out terrific. My wife and I were there for a couple of days, waiting for waters to calm and our mountain roadways to get cleared, or at least the back roads to find our way home.

The hotel folks here were gracious, knowing out plight, and were just over-the-top helping us as we began our trek back home.

Great hotel, great staff, and truly a bridge over trouble waters.

Leonard

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room on the 5th floor - looking out for weather.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Leonard D
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you very much for your kind words while you're going through such a challenging event. Coloradans help each other when natural emergencies take place and we felt awful that you were kept away from your own home during the storm's aftermath.

Paul is one of our best associates and we'll make sure that we pass your compliments on to him.

We're glad that you're OK and we'll hope to serve you again under better circumstances.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

This hotel must be 30 years old but recently renovated, some Sheraton Branded Hotels are renovated and some are not. This one is mostly done so it works great. Superior views of the city and 12 stories added to the hill it sits on make for fine viewing and maybe you'll get a thunderstorm show, too. Easy access to downtown and the mountains. Can't beat it unless it cost way more, very fairly priced.

Also Le Cave 5280 is MUST eating, right in the lobby. Must eating, this rating from a chowhound.

Room Tip: City View Room on the east side of the building is a must although a western view is of the mountaii...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank redanman
Thank you for your compliments! We're glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you appreciated the food, service and atmosphere of La Cave restaurant.

We'll look forward to serving you again soon.
Anna Maria Island, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed here just one night, but wished for more. The room (especially the bed) was very comfortable. Staff were friendly and helpful. It's very convenient to the light-rail station, so downtown is easy to get reach. The first noise I heard came after 9am. I didn't like the shower much, but I'm picky about that. Overall, a very nice stay & I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank 101travelerNo_CA
Management360Union, Manager at Sheraton Denver West Hotel, responded to this review, 9 September 2013
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Denver West and for taking the time to tell us you enjoyed your stay. We're glad that you enjoyed our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds (I just bought one for my home as I love them too!) and friendly service. The new RTD light rail has been a big hit for our guests as it now provided service from a block and a half away, directly to the LoDo area of downtown Denver.

We'll look forward to serving you again soon and wish you great travel experiences in the mean time.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakewood
Hyatt House Denver/Lakewood at Belmar
Home2 Suites by Hilton Denver West - Federal Center
Hampton Inn Denver West Federal Center
Hampton Inn Denver West / Golden
Residence Inn Denver West/Golden
Homewood Suites by Hilton Denver West - Lakewood

Been to Sheraton Denver West Hotel? Share your experiences!