“Great Staff, OK Hotel, Rundown Room”

Courtyard Denver Southwest/Lakewood
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Lakewood
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The best part of this hotel is the staff. We stayed for 3 nights and everyone we met was very friendly and accommodating. The common areas, while not updated to the new Courtyard look, were in good shape with a small but pleasant buffet/sitting area and nicely maintained pool and hot tub.

The location is a bit odd. The hotel is situated right next to the highway (US 285) and yet at the same time "tucked" in the back of a dimly lit office complex which you have to drive through to get to the hotel. The area immediately around the hotel looks nicer during the day (which isn't saying much) and we never felt like it was an unsafe neighborhood, but the location certainly wasn't inviting.

We stayed in a King suite which was blandly painted, not updated and felt more like a motel than a Courtyard. The suite was basically two adjoining regular rooms with one of the rooms acting as a living room with a wet bar (sink, mini-fridge, and microwave) along the wall where you would expect to find the bathroom. The suite was very large, which of course was nice for the space, but it wasn't designed as a two room suite and it generally didn't make good use of the space. Since the bedroom was in the same room as the bathroom, this made for a very large living area and a relatively small bedroom.

The living area was huge and strangely it appeared as if they used the same amount of furniture (maybe one extra chair?) and decorations as you would expect in a regular size room. Also, oddly there was no coffee table... just a double ottoman. Considering the size of the room and the relative lack of furniture and decorations it just made it feel even more drab and motel-like.

The worst of it all, however, was the bathroom area which was split between the sink and the shower/toilet room. Not only was the sink counter outdated (a large counter with a small sink and small faucet) but the shower/toilet room was horrible. The metal frame to the door was rusted and the tile floor right outside the shower was cracked with scattered dark "moldy" stains. The subfloor had obviously been compromised as you could see the sag in the floor and it was "springy" when you stepped on it. I can only imagine that the bathroom below had water damage on the ceiling.

We mentioned this to the front desk and they said maintenance would have a look, but I doubt anything could have been done without taking the room out of service for at least a few days.

All in all, I give the hotel an average rating (3 circles) instead of a poor rating (2 circles) because I've certainly been in worse hotels/motels (although not worse Marriotts or Courtyards) and I doubt all the rooms had these same issues. Just keep in mind that, aside from the staff, this Courtyard is not up to Courtyard Marriott standards.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
DENLKGM, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Southwest/Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2012

Thank you so much for taking time to provide your feedback about your stay. I am glad to hear you had a good experience with my staff. I did want to address the other comments you made about your stay, beginning with the room you stayed in. There was, in fact, a problem with the sub-floor in the bathroom. This was addressed by putting in a new sub-floor, tile, and grout. Next, I wanted to let you know that in November 2012, we are scheduled for a renovation. The renovation will include the lobby upgrade to the new Bistro concept, public space updating, and guest room updating. We are very excited about it and cannot wait to show it off in early 2013.

Again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

First let me say the staff does their absolute best to try to make up for the dilapidated hotel. We checked in late at night during a snow storm and the front desk attendant was very helpful. When we opened the door to our room we found an outdated, bare minimum room. The king bed was placed oddly in the room and the television was located at a 45 degree angle from the headboard, making it difficult for the person on the far side of the bed to see it.

Another update needed is the ac/heater. Old school window type that is not set on a thermostat so the loud fan is constantly running unless you want to freeze to death ... needless to say I got no sleep. This place is in desperate need of updates that should include new carpeting, beds, bedding, furniture and bathroom ... okay I guess maybe it would be cheaper to change the sign outside to a Motel 6 or 8.

The night we arrived Mike had told us the hours of breakfast, a continental or hot breakfast is always a nice perk ... or so we thought. After eating breakfast an attendant arrived with a bill, I'm sorry but had we known that we would have gone elsewhere and eaten a better breakfast for the same or better price.

Weekday rates are the same as what we could have stayed at a 4 star downtown for ... DO NOT STAY HERE!

Room Tip: Different Hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danno80
DENLKGM, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Southwest/Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Thank you for taking time to fill out a review and provide us with your feedback. I felt really bad when I read your comments and wanted to apologize that your visit was not what you expected. I have already spoken with our front desk team to ensure we are explaining how our breakfast works at check in time. We do have several rates which include breakfast - I am really sorry this was not explained well at check in. Lastly, I am very happy and excited to let you know that we will begin our renovation in November 2012. The changes will include the new Courtyard Lobby concept called The Bistro; updates to the meeting room, public space, and guest rooms will also be included.

We really appreciate your feedback. Please contact me personally for your next stay for a complimentary upgrade and breakfast. Thank you very much and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed 2 February 2012

Upon our arrival we were welcomed by the front desk clerk who sincerly made us feel at home. He offered to print off our boarding passes for our flight the next day and offered several choices for dinner that night. The room was very nicely appointed however the one negative were the size of the beds. If these were upgraded I would have given it an excellent rating.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking time to write a review - we really appreciate your comments. I'm very happy you had an overall good experience! We hope to see you again the next time you are in our area!

Reviewed 29 December 2011

We really enjoyed having the big tub in the main room, which may seem oddly placed, but we really liked it. :) It was clean, and good value for the money, located well, and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your feedback and taking time to write a review. I am very pleased you had a good experience and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 22 November 2011

Kudos to Jessica Slater, General Manager. If leadership is 25% example, then all of the employees at that Marriott demonstrate superior customer service - much like the Ritz Carlton experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the small fridge. great for cooling soda and water.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your comment. I really appreciate it! Our goal is to provide the best service possible, and I am glad we were successful in your case. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 29 October 2011

I arrived around 7:00 PM on a rainy night and got put in a room across from the elevators and ice machine. Fortunately I didn't hear anything from the hallway all night. I could hear some street noise from W. Hampden Ave. when the HVAC cycled off, but nothing loud enough to keep me awake. The rooms are large, with a king sized bed, cheap looking sofa, desk and chair, and dresser. Generally the furnishings are pretty average... probably what you'd expect from a hotel in this price range.

There was no hot water in the morning... nothing like a cold shower when it's snowing outside! I was especially annoyed that no one was answering the phone at the front desk, and I assume that's because the problem was hotel-wide. One of my fellow travelers was told the boiler blew up; apparently it put itself back together, because shortly before I left the hot water was restored. No body lotion in the bathrooms (or at least not in mine).

As part of my room rate, I got a ticket for a complementary breakfast. I doubt I'll use it, but the description in the hotel info guide sounds really good - lots of hot foods and made to order omelets and eggs. There's no restaurant in the hotel, so be prepared to go out for dinner or have it delivered to your room. Fortunately there are quite a few places nearby.

One saving grace to this hotel was it's proximity to where I was working - about two blocks. I will probably look for a different hotel for my next trip, but so far none of the hotels I've tried in this area are very exciting.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
DENLKGM, General Manager at Courtyard Denver Southwest/Lakewood, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2011

I am so sorry about the lack of hot water Wednesday morning. Unfortunately, a part of the boiler did malfunction and it took about 20 minutes to repair it. I definitely understand the frustration, as I would be upset too if it happened to me.

While we do not provide lotion in the guest rooms, we do have it available at the front desk. We'd be more than happy to ensure you get some next time.

Our goal is always to provide excellent service. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

We stayed her for 5 nights in September. We actually got this hotel from Priceline. I was a little bit leary since I have never booked thru them before. As soon as we walked into the hotel lobby all that changed. We were greeted by 2 of the hotel associates at the desk and they were very social and accomadating. The hotel rooms were spotless and the location was great for what we had planned. We will defintely choose this location again when we are back in town.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you so much for your kind words. Our goal is always to provide excellent service and ensure all of our guests are happy and comfortable. I am so glad we met your expectations. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you again in the future.