“Best coffee in the USA”

Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Byron Bay, Australia
“Best coffee in the USA”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Consistently good coffee. I am from Australia and usually find it impossible to get good coffee in USA, but this cafe delivers the goods.

Food is great too with a good range of freshly prepared meals available for breakfast or lunch (I have not been there for dinner). Staff are always happy and friendly. This place is usually my first stop when I get to Lakewood.

• Visited December 2013

Golden, Colorado
“Yes-But so small”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Breakfast was Top Notch Excellent. Cudo's to the Chef! Everyone in our group enjoyed the food, and the presentation. The menu online, also looked so tasty. Can't wait to try anything, the next time. Would recommend it .
But so small.

Lakewood, Colorado
“Really cozy coffee shop”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I have been here three times in the last week so thought I would write a quick review. The French Press is usually packed with people so it can be hard to find a seat although they usually open up pretty fast. It is easy to have a nice conversation without having to shout at each other but also enough back ground noise that you feel like you are having a private one. The tea as well as the coffee is very good so both tea drinkers and coffee drinkers can co-exist. The breakfast menu is cooked to order so you may have to wait for it. I haven't tried anything on the lunch menu so I can't give an opinion. I really liked the zucchini-pistachio pancakes. Today I had the American breakfast which came with thick toast, home fried potatoes, bacon, and scrambled eggs. My husband and I aren't crazy about the sausage. The servings are very large so I usually take home left overs. I found the prices to be very reasonable. You order at the front bar area and the food will be delivered to your table. I recommend staking out a table first and then placing your order. All age groups seem to like the environment. It is a pretty popular place. The breakfast menu is served until 11 a..m.

Lafayette, Colorado
“excellent coffee, good food”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

This is a cute little coffee shop, nice atmosphere…The coffee is really good. The breakfast was good, and as I looked around the lunches looked fabulous. Nice salads and sandwiches. want to go back and try lunch..

Nashville, Tennessee
“Decent Lunch Spot”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

As you might have already guessed, The French Press is mostly a coffee shop, but it's also a decent little cafe with breakfast, brunch, and lunch options. Eggs and crepes weren't really on my radar today, but luckily there were plenty of sandwiches and paninis to choose from.

The barbecue lover in me refused to pass up their Pulled Pork Sandwich: pulled pork carnitas, coleslaw, and barbecue sauce on a brioche bun. The menu description suggested that the sandwich came topped with coleslaw, but I got confused when the server offered coleslaw as a potential side dish selection as well. None of the other side options seemed to match the barbecue sandwich, so I ordered coleslaw against my better judgment.

As I feared, the sandwich did in fact come topped with coleslaw, making my side dish selection extra useless. I should have ordered french fries instead. Oh well, live and learn.

I cast aside the side dish and dug into the Pulled Pork Sandwich. My meat seemed more chopped than pulled. The pork was much sweeter than I expected, perhaps from the added barbecue sauce. The pork was also fairly tender, but it didn't have just a ton of flavor on its own, making the sauce an absolute necessity. I couldn't pinpoint any smoke, but sometimes that's just an unfortunate result of serving barbecue in sandwich form. On the other hand, "carnitas" are usually braised or roasted, so perhaps there was just no smoke to be had. The coleslaw added no flavor (not that I expected it to), but I did enjoy the added crunchiness. I also thoroughly enjoyed the brioche bun.

I think the Pulled Pork works better in the general sandwich category than as barbecue, but it was a decent attempt nonetheless. The French Press was definitely a good choice for a lunch outing, you just have to go in with realistic expectations, especially if you're craving smoked meat.

Read my full review, complete with pictures:

The Barbecue Fiend