“Great pizza (opinion of a NY pizza snob)”
Review of High Mountain Pies

High Mountain Pies
Ranked #1 of 30 Restaurants in Leadville
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Cuisines: Barbecue, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've lived in NY for most of my 50 years and I think I know a thing or thirty about pizza. One thing I know is you can't get good pizza out of any place but New York. Er, ok, maybe that's one thing I used to know. I'm having to readjust because High Mountain Pies pizza is good, very good. I'd put this pizza up there with my very favorite NY pizza purveyors. The crust is rich and tangy, the toppings seem fresh, the cheese is gooey but not overdone, it's great pizza. The wife and I shared a pizza with mushrooms and caramelized onions, the kid had the plain cheese pizza, both were great. Our greek salad was fine, not great, but we weren't there for salad and didn't mind that a bit.

Do yourself a favor and have some good 2-mile high pizza.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is a fun spot. You order inside but most sit outside -- the back yard is best. Pizza is very good (not thick; not super thin). Nothing fancy about this, but in Leadville you wouldn't want that. Very very casual and comfortable. Bring a jacket, even in summer (just in case), and take a look at the clouds before you order: it's a bit awkward if it starts to rain because there are only a couple of tables inside!!

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This was the perfect meal the night before me and my bud summited Mt Elbert. We got a meat pizza and ribs. Everything about the sauce on the ribs were awesome as well as the ribs themselves. I probably would not have made it to the top if it wasn't for that meal!

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Few places actually live up to the hype but this place certainly does. One of the best pizza's I have had anywhere...any city, any state. They have several excellent and unusual combinations. Fantastic food, nice staff, cozy environment including inside and outside seating. Walk over delivery to the Scarlet Bar (also excellent). BYOB for wine and beer. HIGHLY recommended.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

My husband and I went to High Mountain Pies because it was mentioned by several people. We had pizza and also cheesy garlic bread as an appetizer. The garlic bread was the size of an entire pizza! We had way too much food for just the 2 of us, but makes for great leftovers for breakfast! There is very limited seating inside--one table for 2, one for 4, and 4 seats at a counter. There are several picnic tables in their backyard, some with a canopy over the top for shade. There are toys for kids to play with/on and also a small table just the right size for little kids. We were there around 4PM and sat outside. It did get chilly (to be expected at 10,000') by the time we were finished. High Mountain Pies is a bright blue building just off the main drag--can't miss it!