“Favorite to Hit in Leadville”
Review of Grill Bar & Cafe

Grill Bar & Cafe
Ranked #12 of 31 Restaurants in Leadville
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: View, Groups
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Favorite to Hit in Leadville”
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We love to go to the Gill when we are in Leadville skiing. The service is a little slow, but the food is great. It's always busy so get there early.

• Visited January 2014

Windsor, Colorado
“Decent food”
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

This is decent Mexican food, nothing special. The burrito was a little cold, but had pretty good taste. The enchiladas were a bit on the weird side and very small. Waitress was very attentive and nice.

Buena Vista, Colorado
“Too Little for Too Much”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

We are local to the Arkansas River Valley and drove up to The Grill with friends from our development in Buena Vista. I ordered the shrimp fajita burrito for $8.95. I've had the chicken and the beef versions before, and they were OK, but the shrimp was a mistake. I paid an extra dollar to have the beef or chicken removed and replaced with 3 or 4 "mini-shrimp" the biggest of which was the size of my little finger (and I have small hands). And the burrito was OK in size, but not really big, either. Remember, this includes no rice or beans. When the bill came, my order was $10.95. When the waiter had asked if I wanted red or green chile, I made the mistake of saying green. That was an extra $2. My wife's chile relleno and tamale plate was generous in portions, but most real Mexican restaurants DO NOT DEEP FRY RELLENOS. Note: we lived on the Mexican border for nearly 20 years; we know Mexican food. And it wasn't just us; one of the others in our party ordered a house margarita (nothing exotic) - that took an extra 15 minutes to be delivered. That's 15 minutes AFTER everyone else had their drinks, and well after many other margaritas, ordered later at other tables, were delivered. On top of that, this place refuses to do separate checks. For a party of 8 - 4 different couples, some drinking, some not - this is a BIG HASSLE. I'm being VERY generous with my average rating. I do not plan to visit again anytime soon, at least not until they change their silly "one check only" policy. In today's world it's just lazy and inexcusable. No reason to drive 35 miles for average Mexican food, and this is average at best!!

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank HSD1950
Bend, Oregon
“It is worth the wait!”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

From the moment you walk in the door, you are greeted by the friendly staff. Often the place is full, because the food is that good. The first time I was at The Grill was in the 1980's and it was reccomended by locals. I've returned often since that time.
It says, right on the menu, that it may take awhile to get your food, because everything is prepared fresh. And it is. James, the owner, is often in the kitchen, making sure that the food is coming our hot and fresh! While you wait, a cold beer or a pitcher of Margaritas with a hot basket of chips is perfect to take the edge of your hunger!
My favorite is the Robert's Especial Stuffed Sopapilla smothered in green chili! Yum Yum! I have never had anything like it, anywhere! This was named after the late owner. It is always wonderful!

The place has a party atmosphere, mainly because it is The Place to take out of town visitors. Many locals go there for a quick bite, on the way home from an adventure, or just when they don't want to cook.

If the weather is good, sit on the back patio and gaze at the great mountains of the Continental Divide.

Often, when I ski at Vail, I go to The Grill, and order a few more dishes to go, so I can have some of their wonderful food back at the Condo. As I write this, I wish I were in Leadville again, so I could have more of their great, tasty food.

• Visited February 2013
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Fabulous Mexican Dining”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I had been here several years earlier and had no one to tell, but now. This place is wonderful. If traveling in the high mountains it's a must; not only for the giant sized portions, or the detailed cooking procedures,fresh ingredients, there in the minuscule prices for all the items on quite an extensive menu. Fortunately for us we had been climbing and fishing for a while and were very hungry, it was the only way we could have finished such a feast. If you don't want to wait in the bar or outside area enjoying the view come early and tap into the happy hour deals. The place fills up fast, and it can take a while to enjoy and finish your selections.

• Visited July 2013

Been to Grill Bar & Cafe? Share your experiences!